Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pentagon's own study says Army near breaking point.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Source: The Associated Press. This quotation constitutes Fair Use. For the full article visit http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060124/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/army_breaking_point

It's tough to pass this off as liberal spin being that it came from a report comissioned by the Pentagon. So, and ignoring the question of whether going into Iraq was the right thing to do in the first place, what should our military priorities be? Continue in Iraq? Iran? North Korea? Obviously we can't police the entire world ourselves - what do we do next?
  2. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's a report, not a study. Your title is misleading.
  3. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It does say study, after I re-read it. Sorry, Pujo, my mistake.

NEM calm down, you are spelling a bunch of stuff wrong in your recent posts. It will be okay, really, it's only a internet forum. Take your meds and a nap.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

We home and quit making up enemies so the fat cats at General Dynamics and Raytheon can make up new toys to play with. We need to look at terrorism more intelligently and use our market and technology power to influence world events. We have to stop thinking that wherever there's a problem, we solve nothing permanently by sending the army. Iran is no threat to us and neither is North Korea. They can barely take care of themselves. Does anyone seriously think China will tolerate a US presence there again. They want a unified Korea with the DMZ troops gone forever.

Our real enemies are Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Israel aside, our only "friends" in the Arab world are despotic dictatorships - the furthest thing from from models for Bush's so-called "democratization" of the region. By doing business only with these nations and sabre-rattling at anyone else who dare build their military, we are seen as the enemy of the majority of Arabs. It's not because of religion - that is a false boogeyman that people use to make Arabs sound worse than they are because it's otherwise very difficult to motivate Americans to move against them. The truth is, Arabs look at these animals in charge of Pakistan and KofSA, see who's propping them up and feeding them weapons and cash, and hate and lash out at us out of frustration.

The day we walk from these pigs is the day Islamic terrorists lose their beef with us. Then we can move in culturally by trade and include the whole region in the Americanization of the world, because that's where our real power is. They'll be watching the NFL, driving F-350 duallies and Harleys, and eating Cap'n Crunch for breakfast in no time.
  5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

wistah, thats the most whacko lefty thing ever written

you must be falling for the Nancy Stinky Pelosi, John Commie Kerry, and Jack Coward Murtha spin:bricks:
  6. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Korea looks like it will wrap up in the near future, many of the northern camps have been scheduled to be closed with the troops moving to southern areas. We had our hands tied there for a long time because the armistice dictated the troop level that we had to keep on the penisula. If and when they ROK can have a stable government they will realize there own military is more than capable and we should be able to keep a minimal amount of troops in the country as a forward operating/support area, much like Japan is now.

I've been to the DMZ on the 38th parallel on more than one occasion and it is a strangely beautiful place. Hopefully it will only be a monument in the near future.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree we have to honor existing agreements.
    Good post.
  8. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well im sure Al Jazeera will be telling terrorists all over the middle east this piece of important info. I am sure it will spur them on even more.
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's right, by saying anything at all that could be construed as negative toward America, we are helping the enemy, which makes us treasonous terrorist sympathizers. Or baby killers. Or something.
  10. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

they would like to call us commies, but then are reminded that their revered leader has taken away all power from Congress with authoritarian signing statements, gulags, torture, and illegal wiretapping, just like in ol USSR. doh...who's the commie now *****es?
  11. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

nah...your not that important.
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Great response, ELO. That really adds to the discussion. Have you had any luck joining in the fight over there, or are you like those radio comedians, Michael Graham and Sean Hannity, willing to let our kids do the fighting for you while you sit at home and tell us how unpatriotic we (even those who served, already) are - all talk, no action.
  13. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Once again, you are deflecting the conversation away from whats relevant.
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No, I think you are. What's relevant is that our Army is supposedly nearing a breaking point (per the title of this post & the article it quoted), and you're chiming in with how Al Jazeera is going to appreciate this study, with the implication that it shouldn't have come out. Well, it's here, it's out, and it doesn't look good for us. So now what?
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

It's good to see you're indirectly criticizing the Pentagon for preparing such a report. That's a small step as you begin your journey leftward.
  16. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Some other "institute" will prepare a "study", "report", or whatever you want to call it that says exactly the opposite, mark my words. It's all opinion and conjecture either way. By that I mean whether you feel this is accurate or if you think it BS. How can it be backed up? There is no way to "study" when the Army is going to break. What does that mean anyway? Are we all going to get a memo to not come to work because the Army is broken?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Please refer to my previous post on this thread. Your only point is that Al Jezeera is going to love this and recruit with it. Anything else?
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well, this is a study commissioned by the Pentagon, with a former Pentagon official conducting it, so I would give it some credebility.

You're right, though, forecasting is never an exact science, but it can be done within an acceptable margin of error. I work as a system analyst/developer for the planning department of a large travel company. We take data and extrapolate it to come up with all sorts of forecasts (number of customers in the next year, total sales, payroll spending, etc). If our data started showing that we could not sustain our current payroll for much longer, you can be sure we would somehow react. We would not, however, start saying "Well, the forecast could be wrong, let's just continue on our present course and see what happens."

There was cold, hard data analyzed in the Pentagon study. Data probably involving total troop numbers, anticipated needs, enlistment/attrition rates, etc. Now, reasonable people could draw different conclusions from the data, but directionally it seems to signal trouble.

So, without playing the blame game (after a while it doesn't matter how you got into a situtation, what's important is how you get out), what can the country do to ensure the Army does not break?
  19. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think a nice 90 day paid vacation to the exotic country of choice for all members will suffice.

Seriously, money is going to be the only way to solve the problem. You are going to have to entice the people with the skills to stay in the military and get deployed again. An exit strategy would help, it's the light at the end of the tunnel.

I just cant fathom how the Army could ever break. If they need a 100k troops in Iraq, by hook or crook they are going to get them there.

Is the Army getting hurt for the long term? The answer is yes. Enlistment is down, and those that are enlisting are not the same quality as before, because the standards have been lowered to achieve the numbers. Mid-career officers and NCO's are leaving because nothing is being offered to them to stay, other than another trip to the sandbox. I hate to make it sound like a mercenary but they have to make it worth it(finances, guaranteed assignments, schooling, etc) to make rotation and service lengths worth it.
  20. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just one quick note on the Pentagons credibility....they pay $250 for hammers, $600 for toilet seats, etc etc. The same people that are told over and over that equipment sucks and they still buy it in droves, for example the M16/M4 and the many variations of it.
    I would have more faith in a private organization making the same report than some retired officer that works for a "research" institute contracted by the Pentagon.
    I understand what the article is saying and the point you are making, I'm just not convinced the article is hard fact.