Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

As a lot of people have said on this board, Climate change is the #1 threat to human life. Its comforting that this has been surpressed, and a feel-good story that the administration has done nothing aside from mentioning alternative fuel in the SOTU address......

WAKE UP!

do we really have the leadership in place that is after human life's best interest?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1153513,00.html

Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters..
    A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 11 / -10

Some will describe release of this report as seditious behavior by the press; others will say, never mind the press, let's instead worry about the likelihood that global warming is a real and imminent danger.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

The biggest abrupt climate change to be worried about would be an ice age.

The model that are relied upon by the alarmist are not very good. Here is an article on attempting to model the climate. I hope some here will learn something from it.:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/02/numerical_models_integrated_ci.html

THere is far to this fascinating anyone with an open mind who is imterested in what is involved should go to the article and read the whole thing. The author has been involved in semiconduction manfacturing for 25 years and knows this type of computer modeling quite well.

4. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Naive and uninformed perhaps but not seditious. I will continue to attempt to dispell you confusion on these topics. ;)

5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hey pf13, I was curious whether you came across the IPCC report? It was a big story a few weeks ago. Apparently you somehow missed it.

It basically concludes the science of over 2000 climatologists that all say the same thing. THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Actually the report hasn't been issued and they haven't given a date for the release. Only the summary written by politicians has been released.

Perhaps the reason is that they have cut their latest estimates by 1/2 compared to the last IPCC report and also lowered their estimate of rises in ocean levels by 1/2 also.

You wouldn't know that from the press coverage would you??

You should look a little deeper than the headlines.

How did you like the article on the limitation of the fluid dynamics models they are using for these projections???

BTW here is a 30 page document that reviews the available data from the IPCC report showing the UN backing off in a big way on their predictions, I guess if we wait for their next report the GW issue will have been solved ;)

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Hey AAB here is another PDF with errors in the summary the IPCC has been quietly correcting, in all cases the errors made their claims look stronger than they are in fact.

In a couple of cases they were off by a factor of 10, guess they were in curturial sensitivity classes the day they covered fractions in 4th grade. Some peer review huh?

They exaggerated the effects of CO2 on global warming by a factor of 20! and the effects of melting ice sheets on sea level by a factor of 10!

Wonder why there was no press conference to correct the public record?????

http://ff.org/centers/csspp/pdf/20070226_monckton.pdf

8. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I can't argue with the Lord. :rolleyes: I'll leave that to the 2500 climate scientists that prepared the report. I would expect revisions; but the summarized conclusions should not dramatically change.

If they do, well then we have something. Until then, I'll go not with what you assume I read somewhere but with what I saw with my own two eyes: 2 hours of testimony before congress on C-Span, direct to the source, not some liberal media translation of the science.

Lets see 2500 say one thing, you and the Lord and a bunch of oil executives say something else. hmmmm...interesting.

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

lol... classic... pwned

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Cutting the estimates by 50% is dramatic to me.

How would you classify dramatic?

11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

why do people defend pollution and big oil? why do you want to believe that the byproducts of burning fossil fuels isn't affecting the environment?

Do you live near the ocean?

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

CO2 is what plants breath it is not a pollutant. Water vapor is the predominant greenhouse do you think H2O is a pollutant?

The by products from burning fossil fuels are mostly positive, if you don't believe that ride a bicycle, disconnect from the grid, and live in an igloo during the winter.:rolleyes:

13. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

what flavor is it?

Grape......?

14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

plants also provide oxygen for the planet.... do you feel globe-wide deforestation is a good thing for the global ecosystem? that's not man-made is it?

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Do you have a reference as to the amount of bio mass on the planet decreasing?

BTW Deforestation is mostly in the third world in leiu of burning fossil fuels.

16. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

There is a long river in the north east of Africa.....I forget the name of it, but near the end are giant three dimensional triangles....