Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pentagon Paid $998,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +352 / 15 / -12

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/2..._piz20xqxeu;_ylt=AhYOMNp6hwXsMfIvSP1o_Yus0NUE

Aug. 16 (Bloomberg) -- A small South Carolina parts supplier collected about $20.5 million over six years from the Pentagon for fraudulent shipping costs, including $998,798 for sending two 19-cent washers to an Army base in Texas, U.S. officials said.

The company also billed and was paid $455,009 to ship three machine screws costing $1.31 each to Marines in Habbaniyah, Iraq, and $293,451 to ship an 89-cent split washer to Patrick Air Force Base in Cape Canaveral, Florida, Pentagon records show.

The owners of C&D Distributors in Lexington, South Carolina -- twin sisters -- exploited a flaw in an automated Defense Department purchasing system: bills for shipping to combat areas or U.S. bases that were labeled ``priority'' were usually paid automatically, said Cynthia Stroot, a Pentagon investigator.

C&D and two of its officials were barred in December from receiving federal contracts. Today, a federal judge in Columbia, South Carolina, accepted the guilty plea of the company and one sister, Charlene Corley, to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to launder money, Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin McDonald said.

2. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm sure they really only paid standard cost but the rest of thos funds are diverted to the research at Roswell.:D
    Didn't you see Independence day, Patters?:cool:

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

kinda typical, actually... what does the pentagon care what the american tax payer has to cough up?

ramp up costs? of course... this way, there's no money left for social programs and other "pinko liberal" ambitions

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

File under more corruption, this is freaking ridiculous, not only because they did it, but the Gov't allowed it to happen.. these people should be put behind high walls for a long time.. 998K is mucho cash.. and this debt is being passed on to our children and grandchildren..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070816/pl_bloomberg/a_piz20xqxeu

Aug. 16 (Bloomberg) -- A small South Carolina parts supplier collected about $20.5 million over six years from the Pentagon for fraudulent shipping costs, including $998,798 for sending two 19-cent washers to an Army base in Texas, U.S. officials said.

The company also billed and was paid $455,009 to ship three machine screws costing $1.31 each to Marines in Habbaniyah, Iraq, and $293,451 to ship an 89-cent split washer to Patrick Air Force Base in Cape Canaveral, Florida, Pentagon records show.

The owners of C&D Distributors in Lexington, South Carolina -- twin sisters -- exploited a flaw in an automated Defense Department purchasing system: bills for shipping to combat areas or U.S. bases that were labeled ``priority'' were usually paid automatically, said Cynthia Stroot, a Pentagon investigator.

C&D and two of its officials were barred in December from receiving federal contracts. Today, a federal judge in Columbia, South Carolina, accepted the guilty plea of the company and one sister, Charlene Corley, to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to launder money, Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin McDonald said.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

Sorry for posting same article 2x..

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

As I work for the DoD I would like to point out that it's not this ridiculous cash cow where anything goes - we basically get no "perks" other than the employer-employee agreement on salary and leave. No freebies - anything we want, like coffee or coffee makers, we buy ourselves.

Obviously there have been loopholes found :D But it's not nearly as systemically bad as some make it out to be - not where I work anyway.

7. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well sure, you're not in a high-level policy position. Nobody thinks civil servants are living like kings, but someone is getting all this money that's being wasted. Remember the thousands of dollars spent by the White House on a toilet seat and a hammer during the Clinton years? That money's going to someone, and I bet that someone is well connected.

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

This is fraud and the government will get their money and a pound of flesh from the twins. Another blatently fraudulent headline, this was a criminal theft that the Pentagon discovered and will get their money back from.

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Why doesn't Obooma, Pant Suit Hillary, Auntie Pelosi and the rest of that gang of grinning scum bags jump all over this and force an end to it.

I would think that Pretty Boy Edwards, Obooma Big Ears, and Pant Suit might consider this a bigger and more important issue than holding a debate about Homosexuals.
    :bricks:

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Well first I just wanted to point out that it's not some nutty cash cow for all as some seem to think. And of course I agree with the ridiculousness of the other things that are mentioned - it's too bad as it puts the whole DoD (and government) in this nutty big spending light when it's not like that 99.9% of the time.

11. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

See, now this is right on. Some here seem to be confused (I'll go with that rather than deliberately twisting the story to fit their worldview), thinking the Pentagon charged taxpayers that ridiculous amount of money. The company that charged the Pentagon was at fault, and I hope they get the book thrown at them. One could even argue (but I don't think I'd go that far) that the Pentagon's oversight system is working, since they have found and will correct the error.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I agree with that, the headline makes it sound like this was a legitimate purchase that both sides were happy with going forward.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +659 / 7 / -2

They've repo'd all of their belongings and holdings. They're looking at 20 years apiece. This scheme started in 2000 as a $100 over charge here, a $100 there, and the typical greed of a crook caused these losers to expose themselves (thankfully) with their $1 million request. The good thing is they caught them, and noticed the loophole, the bad thing is how many other people have been taking advantage of such a faulty system? Think about one thing, this is just the DOD. Think of how many other government run programs and agencies there are, then do the math on waste, incompetency, and the total $$ that are probably thrown away. Like I say, this is what you get with government run anything. Pathetic, sad, unacceptable, yet typical.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +659 / 7 / -2

While true, it still stinks. It's not as if the DOD was charged this last week, and noticed it right away. While I understand they weren't complicent in the sense that they paid for it to hand a buddy some freebie, they were being boondoggled since the millenium, and didn't have a clue until years and years later. This is a government run program at it's best. A day late, and a few dollars short.

15. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

Everyone keep this fraud in mind when you try and talk about Universal Health Care. As we speak no other program in the government gets more fraudulent claims than Medicare/Medicaid. We had a case here in Georgia, where a guy was charging medicare for aids and hemophilac drugs for homeless people, and then they (as he knew they would) didn't show up for their treatments, he then turned around and resold the government paid for drugs to other companies. When he was convicted the government seized 30 MILLION FROM HIM, 30 million in Medicare fraud, in just one case.

This is just a small sample of the medicare fraud, the government can't even begin to put a dent in the fraud it is so widespread. If they ever get univeral health care, the fraud will be astronomical and will most likely bankrupt the United STates in less than ten years.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +659 / 7 / -2

Bingo. Anything government run is going to be loaded with waste, fraud, and incompitence. I see it everyday with the subsidized housing I manage. If we get a 40% return we're lucky. It's not only the fraud & waste, it's the abuse government run programs encourage. All the while Joe T gets fukced. Bigger government only means more of it.

17. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Real World I couldn't agree with you more, government run programs are usually the most inefficient way to do anything.

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +659 / 7 / -2

I truly believe we could halve the government were it run remotely efficient.

19. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well, there goes my Roswell theory.:(

20. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No no, they still siphon off plenty of money to pay for their alien research.