Welcome to PatsFans.com

Penn & Teller - Green Guilt

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PatsWickedPissah, Jul 28, 2008.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

OK, gotta admit I'm a BIG Penn & Teller fan. Don't get their pay cable TV show "Bull****" but wish I did. Anyhow after a show skewering "Intelligent (sic) Design" they made this frakin' hilarious show about the whole green movement, carbon credits (q.v. indulgences) and such. NOT safe for work. F word abounds.

http://beta.vreel.net/watch_20885.html

You'll probably need to install a DivX player to run the Hi-Res video. The 90 seconds is worth it and viral free.
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

50% of the time I like their show and 50% of the time I hate it. This was one of those I hated. Their whole argument was basically that global warming isn't real because Al Gore has a big house and some people in the movement (as with any movement) are idiots. They didn't even address any of the science or real arguments. It was the same with the genetically modified foods episode. All they did was take some whackos who only eat raw foods and make fun of them, they never really talked about why people have a problem with it. And just to show I'm not just whining cuz they didn't agree with me, I also thought their episode about intelligent design was kind of useless too. And when they tried to take on academia they just failed miserably. That being said, the show is very entertaining, and they say some things I agree with. But they should stick to small issues and not try to dispel complicated and controversial ones in a half an hour. The absolute best episode is the one they did about swearing. Now that was great. I prefer 30 Days though.
  3. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Uh, P&T are entertainers, not scientists. There are plenty of other venues which deconstruct the agenda science behind hysterical anthropic global warming. P&T basicly crap on whatever using ad hominem comenty. Yes they're skeptics but primarily entertainers.
  4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Yeah they are entertainers, but they are overly ambitious ones acting under the guise of debunking certain social phenomena. There style is comedic but their aim is serious. If you strongly disagree with the conclusions they claim to come to, then the ad hominem stuff isn't all that entertaining.
  5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Sounds like The Daily Show.
  6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

The Daily Show doesn't claim to be serious at all.
  7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Stewart is as serious as Penn. I think "Their style is comedic but their aim is serious" is a perfect description of Stewart's style. Sort of like Phil Hartman's "Caveman lawyer". He'd say to the jury I'm just a simple caveman. Stewart claims to be just a comedy show but, he knows he has a pulpit for reinforcing his left wing bent. "Their style is comedic but their aim is serious."
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Penn and Teller present themselves as a documentary exposing or debunking something. Stewart is offering his political commentary through jokes to people who mostly agree with him already. They aren't alike at all. Penn and Teller are more like Michael Moore.