Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Per ESPN. Interesting.

that's the last place I'd want to begin my head coaching career....

This was Shefter's tweet :

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Patriots OC Bill O’Brien has emerged as a leading candidate, if not the leading candidate, to be hired as Joe Paterno’s successor at Penn St

I wonder what we would do. I still think Pat Hill could be a sleeper to replace him if he leaves, I think Brian Ferentz could be the next young guy to take over but he's awfully young.

that's the last place I'd want to begin my head coaching career....

That's a program that is going to need quite a personality and someone incredible to turn it around. Part of me wonders if they'll ever be able to shake that stigma after everything that happened there. I'm guessing that whatever the contract is that's offered, the $$ amount is going to be pretty big - and it would need to be to get anyone to go there. But if they offer it to him, I'm sure it'll be quite a raise compared to what he's making now.

Last edited:
What would be the lure of happy valley for O'Brien? Would the school give him the time and patience to clean that place out and start fresh?

The other issue for a college job is O'Brien could leave us tomorrow if he wanted to. He couldn't for an NFL job.

Never mind that it's Penn St. for a moment...he's an OC in the NFL...tell me, how many people remember Al Groh now that he's a college coach? If O'Brien has a shot to be named an NFL head coach, he'd have to be under the influence to sign a college contract...unless he's just not cut out for coaching in the NFL like a certain Alabama H.C.
To put himself in the glare of the media spotlight following Joe Paterno and THAT legacy just reeks of career suicide to me...just my opinion, however...

It is a top 20 college coaching position. In a few years, the program will be all about winning the big 10 versus the scandal. Even though your replacing a legend, he's dropped so low that he no longer is close to the likes of a Bear Bryant or even a Bobby Bowden. I think more depends on sanctions from the NCAA, which I'm not sure is looking into the situation. Ohio State got Myers and that school got hit pretty hard by sanctions. I would not discount O'Brien going there.

The more I think about it, the more I even wonder if someone like Belichick could even erase that stigma, no matter how much they win. That's just one of the ugliest stories in the history of college sports...it's just horrific.

Last edited:
Penn State is basically throwing $*!^ at the wall and seeing what sticks. They are calling every coach, non-coach, and assistant coach in the league working down a list hoping to catch someone willing to come in and clean up that mess. So far its not working but eventually they will find someone desperate enough.

USA Today tweet :

jonnysaraceno Jonny Saraceno
A person with knowledge of the Penn State hiring tells USA TODAY that only contract details need to be finalized before O'Brien is the man.

The only upside is it will give us a lot more trusted coached in college with O'Brien seemingly at Penn State and Meyer at Ohio State.

I for one am hoping that he get's the PSU job. I know that I'm in the minority, however I don't think BOB is a very good OC and I'd prefer that we make a change.

I'm of the opinion that I really don't care if BOB stays or goes. I don't think he is incompetent or that he is great. I do think he is JAG as far as OC's go. Anybody we bring in, unless they are a certifiable idiot, will do fine as OC of this team as long as TFB is the QB.

I do hope that whoever they bring in, assuming he goes, has a bit more dedication to the running game though.

Why in the name of all that is sacred and holy would one want to start their career as a HC there? Nevermind the obvious, but he'd be immediately competing with Urban Meyer for recruits. Meyer is going to vaccum up every western PA stud there is, and no one will want to play for Penn State. If I'm O'Brien, I leverage this to ask for a raise and stay for a while.

Last edited:
Another team with insight for BB if he goes. What's Penn state known for NFL talent wise, terrible RBs and good LBs?

welp...word per EEI just now is that the Bill O'Brien deal is DONE....good luck Bill...you're gonna need it

Unless there was some back room issue(s) providing the fuel for this, I don't get the decision. That program is going to be under a microscope, and it could have a lot of trouble recruiting in the short-term.

BOB, good luck. I think you're going to need it.

I may sound like the minority here, but I'm hoping praying for the return of Josh Mcdaniels, especially since the Jesters are supposedly looking at him, I really want Josh back and here comes the attacks but Eric Mangini back in some capacity the guy is head and shoulder better than every Coach on our sidelines besides BB of course, but BB can't coach forever so when he is ready to hang it up and do the Parcells role, I want a sure successor that BB picks how crazy of a story line would it be if one of the 2 take the Patriots into the Ryan Mallet era and who better to coach him up than coach Mcdaniels who made Matt Cassel look like a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes