PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pees' contract expires, choses not to return; Breer: had prostate cancer last summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dean Pees FINALLY Fired

I agree with this. Pees gets a bad rap because he wasn't Romeo Crennel. I wonder what RAC could have done without Harrison, Law, Samuel, Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest, Seymour etc. We didn't have the horses to be a great defence. Pees did a solid job with what he was given. Good luck in the future

Pees was solid, I'm hoping that Pepper Johnson gets the job because I've always been a fan of his. Whoever gets the job I hope they have better players and a more attacking scheme next season.

This team has a lot of young defensive players. The coordinator needs to be able to team with Belichick to get the most out of their talents.

Why didn't he jump into the Romeo mix???

I can only guess that he already has his replacement picked out.

Pepper!?! Lets see some attacking next time around. This read and react **** doesn't work with the current crop. Lets get some ball players in here and let them get after it!

Last edited:

In bill we trust!!!

so it was the defensive coaching vs the players? it took 4 years to figure that out? - disturbing all around...

Sounds good to me.

I don't think Pees was a terrible DC, and I don't think there are many who could have gotten more out of the talent (or lack thereof) on defense this past season (or in 2008).

However, as many have said, this team is in need of some significant changes, and if this helps them to that end, then I support the move.

AFter a poor performance last sunday game, BB finally woke up!

So long Dean. Thanks for your service.

Step up Pepper Johnson!

Thank you Dean Pees for keeping the defense somewhat competitive the last 4 years. You didn't do nearly as bad a job as some others around the league, but unfortunately you just weren't living up to BB defensive standards. Good luck in the future.

Sooo all of you calling for Pees' head, you are vindicated! And now who is next... Pepper get a shot?

He wasn't great, but I thought he was better than O'brien but I surely would've thought that Obrien would go first. :eek:

Re: PROJO: Dean Pees FINALLY Fired

praise the lord!!!

:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing:

Now O'Brian and I'll be on cloud 9

I would love to see Bill Orien go too because you can't put an awesome O and TB on a hand of a rookie or inexperience OC or a signal play caller.

Firing Pees to give Peppers or Patricia a bigger role makes some sense.

Frankly, I didn't think Pees was bad. Especially this past season, I thought he was calling good games defensively. Let's be honest, he wasn't given an easy task, he hasn't had a good pass rush to work with since 2007, and even then, that pass rush didn't show up when it mattered most.

If BB isn't happy with O'Briens work as OC, there is no reason to fire him. He was never technically made OC. He can just slide another person into that role and relieve O'Brien of those duties, O'Brien can stay on the staff.

Last edited:

Changes are a comin'

The problem with saying this is that I don't know how much Belichick has had to cover for the coordinators, and I don't know how much he's meddled in a negative way, either. Neither the coaches nor the players have been very forthcoming on this issue.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/312499-tear-up-coaching-staff-page3.html#post1687591

We saw the development of McDaniels rise to the point where Belichick seemed to ignore the offense on game day, while focusing on the defense, but how much of that was confidence in McDaniels and how much was lack of confidence in Pees is something we really don't know. Now, if Pees gets the axe this offseason, that will be telling. Whether it will be telling about Pees or Belichick, I leave up to you.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/312499-tear-up-coaching-staff-page3.html#post1687426

Unless Belichick is scapegoating, I think we'll begin to get answers.

Shocking. Has BB ever fired an assistant coach before?

I would love to see Bill Orien go too because you can't put an awesome O and TB on a hand of a rookie or inexperience OC or a signal play caller.

That's exactly what we did with Josh McDaniels in 2007.

I'd give O'Brien another year, partially because Hoyer looks competent meaning he's done a decent job with the QB's, and partially because it seems unfair after just one year.

Firing Pees to give Peppers or Patricia a bigger role makes some sense.

Frankly, I didn't think Pees was bad. Especially this past season, I thought he was calling good games defensively. Let's be honest, he wasn't given an easy task, he hasn't had a good pass rush to work with since 2007, and even then, that pass rush didn't show up when it mattered most.

If BB isn't happy with O'Briens work as OC, there is no reason to fire him. He was never technically made OC. He can just slide another person into that role and relieve O'Brien of those duties, O'Brien can stay on the staff.

I don't have a problem with O'Brien staying as QB coach, but I would prefer he not be OC too.

In any case, Florio correctly notes that the Pats have been in the top quarter in scoring defense each of the last four years. It's just unfortunate for Pees that this year the D broke down in almost every big game.

Last edited:

I feel bad for Pees personally, but after four years it was clear that he wasn't able to coordinate this defense well enough. That happens, and the two parties will have to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back