PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pees/Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Every week someone talks about Dean Pees needing to be fired, but the issues I see aren't with the defense as a whole, but the secondary unit and primarily the CBs. Capers was brought in to supposedly help the secondary play better, yet I don't see it happening. The Pats CBs still give up too much cushion and the opposing QBs eat it up.

The Pats did do a better job of getting pressure early in the game, but in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, they did a lousy job and that is when Pennington did much of the damage.

I did like the bit that I saw of Vince Redd at the end of the game.

Re: Pees / Capers

Its the personnel. Can't make lemonade with tomatoes.

Chicken or the Egg.

I say it's the pathetic lack of any pressure on the QB, not the secondary at all.

Watch every game tape from this year. Cassel consistently has to make his throw 1-2 seconds quicker than the opposing QB.

It is also play calling. They are playing back on long down and distance and it is getting them killed. Pats need pass rushers, Vrable is done and played 99% at LOLB and only got a give me sack. QB didn't want to throw a pick and took the sack.

If Hobbs goes up with anyone with speed, he is not the same player IE Rams game.

It was nice to see Redd replace Vrable on the passing downs at the end of the game. Woods was starting to get around Long. I know he had a bum leg, but he was getting some pressure.

Theres a thing called a "blitz" in football, mix up the playcalling show some different looks. Obviously the secondary isnt that good why not help them out and make the qb have to get rid of the ball quicker.

the pats have nothing to work with in the secondary.......the pressure should be on the people picking the personnel.......

that said, the pats can't afford to just play their vanilla defense.....they have to mix in more blitzes and move the front 7 around

I believe the pats will get another shot at the jets in the playoffs.....send them home and this season will have been a success.......after that, the pats are in very good shape to make personnel decisions to restock the defense

but shoot-outs will be the rule of thumb the rest of the way

Its the personnel. Can't make lemonade with tomatoes.
It is. The lack of a consistent pass rush and the quality of our DBs will result in games every week where we have to win a shoot-out. Sometimes we will and sometimes we won't. But if we make it to January, that recipe will send us sailing quickly.

Theres a thing called a "blitz" in football, mix up the playcalling show some different looks. Obviously the secondary isnt that good why not help them out and make the qb have to get rid of the ball quicker.

Problem is they were getting burned for some big plays. Im hoping they get it together and find some combination of personel that gets it together here towards the end of the season. Kind of like the Indy D that year everyone ran on them until the playoffs when they just shut everyone down.

Our pass rush has been pathetic basically every game, except the St. Louis one.

But Ellis just sucked it up today.

Last edited:

the pats have nothing to work with in the secondary.......the pressure should be on the people picking the personnel.......

that said, the pats can't afford to just play their vanilla defense.....they have to mix in more blitzes and move the front 7 around

I believe the pats will get another shot at the jets in the playoffs.....send them home and this season will have been a success.......after that, the pats are in very good shape to make personnel decisions to restock the defense

but shoot-outs will be the rule of thumb the rest of the way

This defense needs to blitz way more often, QB's with time in the pocket destroy our below average DB's, especially on 3rd and long. The next draft better be all DB's and OLB's.

Never thought i would say this but Cassel and the offense is the strength of the team.

Our secondary is our primary problem, the front 7 has to blitz and/or get to the QB a lot quicker to help our biggest weakness.

That's genius, blame Capers for the lack of penetration upfront.

This defense is ******ed. Everytime nearly when they call for pressure they come up with a stop. Instead, they refuse to bring heat and just sit back and get torn apart. I think the coaching on defense has sucked ass, that includes BB.

You gotta dial up blitzes, he simply refuses to these days. See the Chargers shutting down the Colts? Because they're rushing the passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes