Welcome to PatsFans.com

Peace Negotiations in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I've been reading some stories about how the Taliban has been getting rolled a bit on the field of battle. That their much publicized offensive of 2007, has spuddered and been ineffective. As a result, suicide bombings are up, as are retaliatory attacks on civilians, which some say, is a sign of desperation. This hasn't bode well for their cause, as many of the tribes, or common folk, have become disenchanted with their methods. I guess it's somewhat similar to the "awakening" we've seen against AQ in Al-Anbar. Never the less, I think the more time that passes where people are able to live free, and enjoy basic civil liberties the SP's disallow, the more likely that freedom is to succeed. Let's hope so anyway.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 25 September 2007, 12:27 GMT 13:27 UK

What chance Afghan peace talks?

By Chris Morris
    BBC News, Kabul

It's all quiet in Afghanistan's national stadium in Kabul. The grass is being watered, the pitch is being marked out for a football match, and a couple of workmen are carrying wooden scaffolding behind one of the goals.

But only a few years ago - at the turn of the century - this was where the Taleban held their public executions, hanging or stoning people to death in front of large crowds.

And the comparison between then and now is worth thinking about, at a time when there are suggestions that the Western-backed government here could be about to start talks with the Taleban.

President Hamid Karzai has always been keen to promote reconciliation. This still feels like a very early stage of negotiations, but the United Nations has now upped the ante by offering to mediate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7011986.stm
  2. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Seems like good news to me.
    No responses to your post, RW. shame.

"Peace sells but who's buying"
    Dave Mustaine
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Well, that's cuz...

"Good news is no news"

Hugh Jass
  4. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

See, RealWorld, what your mistake was that you didn't sensationalize it.
    Maybe if you worked in a pedofile angle or something.
    Or maybe shown a camera somewhere that shouldn't be there,breaking all the... oh I forgot that I was on the political forum.Nevermind:D
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

Most of the posters on here, the Ny Times, Cute Perky Katie, Hollywood Wife Swappers and Jeanne Garfool don't want any GOOD NEWS on ANYTHING until "Bush Leaves".
    :bricks:
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Fu-k the Taliban. What a bunch of backward loser fascists! How is it possible that they still exist? Must be the nature of warfare in Afghanistan, which has been historically and notoriously nightmarish for any and all invaders, occupiers or passers-by. No one has ever been able to totally subdue this area...ever. Any victory is fleeting and incomplete here. Im glad our guys are relatively safer there and the Taliban is weakened, but seems we've been here before.

Where's Bin Ladin?
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

They will always exist, they just keep breeding & killing, kill Bin Laden and another one will pop up, Clinton is the guy that should have had Bin Laden killed.

The Taliban isn't a bonafide army, they have no rules, they have no decency or morals they are modern day f-cking throat slitting savages, we are at war with a "Gang" and we will be fighting them for years to come Pant Suit Hillary will soon find all this out if she becomes President, like it or not Commander In Chief Hillary will have to go to war if she doesn't God help America.
    :bricks:
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

thanks for contributing precisely nothing yet again...

Dear Mr. Jass... sometimes threads by the 29 percenters don't get read immediately, that's all...

tell us, will they be "suing for peace?"... was "peace" the mission all along?

While it's all well and good that the Taliban might be getting their salad tossed in specific offensives, and their own offensive grinded to a halt, but that's really not the mission statement in that region, now is it?... the Shiek, the symbol of morale behind our true enemy, is still alive -- even prospering, evidently... In fact, we have no idea where he and his top henchmen even are, and we seem unwilling to go into the region our intelligence agencies believe his is residing (well, what's left of our intelligence agencies since the great Cheney purge).... No one seems to wanna talk about that colossal failure.... Instead, they'd rather point to perceived "desperation" by some taliban fighters on the perimeter, far from "the base"...

curious indeed...

now, certainly, we're all aware of the difficulties involved with pressuring Pakistan and it's fragile leadership into making concessions for a full-scale attack into the badlands of that nation, but are we in this to win? or to perpetuate?... or has bin Laden, in your opinion, simply been "marginalized", as Boy King put it?

are we shytting, or getting of the pot (or the poppy, if you prefer)?... what, exactly, are U.S. forces doing there right now? why did U.S. forces draw down dramatically from that region in 2003, and never been sufficiently replenished?

you're right about one thing, apparently... no news is good news.... for the neocons...
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

The terrain and culture make it so. However, all of the past invaders, occupiers, and passers-by have been tryranical and oppressive. The difference this time is that they're not.

He's in Pakistan.
  10. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Why would anyone respond to a post written by a known racist cracker,by the way Jesse and Al say HI. :D
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Ok, where do I begin? :D

Let me start by saying it's evident that you really have no idea what you are talking about. You mention 29%'ers when it's plainly obvious you haven't a clue. WTF does suing for peace mean? I guess it's a bad thing that we're winning over there, and that the Taliban, or at least fractions inside it, want to talk peace. Aren't you the diplomacy guy with repsect to Iran? I'd think this would be a good thing, unless success is something you're not in favor of of course. UBL is a figure head, and a darned important one. Sure we should be roasting his nutz and feeding them to Fido, but sadly we're not. The fact of the matter is that chopping off UBL's head doesn't make the problem of radical terrorism go away. Incarnerating Al Capone didn't exterminate the mafia. Obviously that doesn't mean you ignore Al Capone. Still though, going by your logic, where Afghanistan & Pakistan don't matter, and only UBL's head does, taking the course you suggest would only make the current problem 100 times worse. Afghanistan is primitive, but the whacki Paki's are not. Going into Whakanistan will only ensure the toppling of the current government, nukes in the handles of the radicals that take over, and a likely war with India.

BTW, for the 11,000th time, the US did not draw down dramatically in that region in 2003. As Terry Francona would say "I think you need to do your homework pal". :p
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and where do i begin?... i mean, wtf do you people ever wanna be called? ... nothing is ever acceptable... war supporters, Republicans, Conservatives, Bush Leaguers, ... it doesn't matter how we label you, you're gonna ***** that it doesn't represent you fairly... thus, i'll call you what i like, when i like.... you generally think Boy King is doing a fair job, enough to the point that you come running to defend him and his foreign and domestic policies near constantly, so i'd say you're a 29 percenter... if you have a more appropriate title that you and your war supporting ilk would like to be collectively referred to, we're all ears... otherwise, spare us the indignance... you have some lovely names for war dissentors, don't you?.... different when you do it, i suppose...

it's amazing... three successive sentences, whereby you assert a position your opponent never said... i never said it was a "bad thing", in the bizarre event that we're "winning" over there... which we're ultimately not... Diplomacy with Iran is a totally different animal, but not surprising that you'd compare apples to oranges, much like you Bunkerites do when you invoke tired parallels to Hitler and WW2 ad nauseum...

well, i profoundly disagree... and this above contradicts the "iron fist" position you and your ilk so often trumpet... "chopping off his head" and going no further when we had the world's sympathy confirms to the world that the West will not stop until our direct attackers are held accountable, but also that we do not want a new holy war by condemning all of Islam ... it should have been done immediately, with all force necessary... instead, we've been allowed to tip toe around, and fan the flames for years with an occupation of a nation that never attacked us, and had no means or plans by which to do so... if you want to take a tough stance on terrorism, i would think obliterating some 80% of their concentration in one 5,000 square mile region would send the message...

forgive us if we choose not to buy the predictions of a line of thinking that has been profoundly wrong at every turn since this thing began... as Maher said, "please hand over the magic 8-ball, Nostradamus... i think you've had enough shots at this"... i believe your genius president "tempered" that whole Pakistand-India thing when he granted India nuclear priviledges and technologies, while thumbing his nose at their mortal enemy... i believe your president said we'd "make no distinction in those who committed these acts and those who harbor them"... and isnt' that how he started garnering support?...

and for the 11,000th time, it most certainly DID draw down it's elite forces and redeploy them to afghanistan throughout the first half of '03... this is documented... does your argument have to be vaporized again with direct CIA concurrance via links?
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

This must be that (in)tolerance, debate, and discussion stuff some people are always talking about.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Opponent? I have an opponent? Interesting that you view discussing something real as a competition. That explains why you never learn anything. You're not looking to. You just wanna win baby!
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Is that english? :p

Hmm...so, do you profoundly disagree with me because I am an opponent, and therefore you need to cuz I'm the enemy, or do you do so because I think that UBL is an important figure that I'd like to kill, but who's death wouldn't instantaneously end the problem of radical terrorism?
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Why would you buy anythng I'm selling? Afterall, according to you I'm your competition! :rolleyes:

Oh, Bill Maher....:rolleyes:

Seriously, do some RESEARCH!

Hey, if you want me to defend GW's rhetoric, and cowboy one liners, forget it. I'm not, and I won't, as they can't be defended. All I am presenting to you is what some of the realities are. You need look no further than that rocket attack that killed 80 in Pakistan 1-2 years ago. Why do you think US troops don't go into Pakistan? Do you think it's because we're pussies, or because doing so would enrage the many SP's in that populace?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...............

I've been over this with you, NEM, Holy, and the like. Whatever makes you sleep at night PC. I mean, I wouldn't want to be vaporized. :rolleyes:
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

in other words, you don't know what you war supporters wish to be called... all you know is you wanna act indignant about it... noted...
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

childish... and evasive of the point i presented... White Flag #2 from you, it appears...