Welcome to PatsFans.com

Peace in Ireland

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 8, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

One of Clinton's many accomplishments was in helping to negotiate peace in Ireland. It's amazing that this once intractable situation seems to me moving forward. It demonstrates the power of effective diplomacy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/08/world/main2773038.shtml

(CBS/AP) Protestant leader Ian Paisley, who spent decades refusing to cooperate with Northern Ireland's Catholic minority, was elected Tuesday to oversee a power-sharing administration alongside his longtime Sinn Fein foes.

The unopposed election of Democratic Unionist Party chief Paisley, 81, as "first minister" of a new 12-member administration heralded an astonishing new era for Northern Ireland.

Paisley immediately affirmed an oath pledging to cooperate with Catholics and the government of the neighboring Republic of Ireland moves that the evangelical firebrand long denounced as surrender.

Seconds later, Sinn Fein deputy leader and ex-IRA commander Martin McGuinness accepted the No. 2 post of deputy first minister. McGuinness, affirmed the same oath, which required all ministers to support the Northern Ireland police and British courts a position that Sinn Fein refused for decades to accept.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

The breakthrough heralded in the article has happened deep within the Bush administration....
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Patters time to get some fact right.....

Clinton kissed the asses of terrorists like Terry Adams (he was the first President to allow this terrorist to land in the United States, and God knows how much money he raised for "the cause" when he was here), and held Britian feet to the fire, he did absolutely nothing for peace in Ireland, in fact he probably sent it backwards. In the mid 90's Immigration in NYC caught an IRA member who blew up a police station tending bar in NYC. What happened at his deportation hearing, Ted Kennedy interceeded on this terrorists behalf, and the Immigration Judge actually granted him "political Asylum" from Great Britan (amazingly right after the hearing, the Immigration Judge was promoted by the Clinton Administration). That'sright, the United States of America, under Bill Clinton, granted a terrorist who had blown up a Police Station and killed many people, asylum. The person who is most responcible for the current peace in Ireland is Osama Bin Laden.

Tony Blair was an absolute genius to align himself with the US in the war against terror. Right after 9/11 the IRA funding absolutely dried up. I lived in NYC and saw the coffee cans behind every Iraish bar for "the cause" those cans dissappeared on 9/12 and have never come back. Irish/Americans were the main/only source of funding for the IRA and that funding absolutely dried up. The IRA simpley has no more backers and that is why they are disarming. His own people are too bent by the media to credit him with this, but Tony Blair is the reason that their is peace in Ireland, and Bill CLinton is an appeaser of terrorists who has brought nothing but death around the world with his policies.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Clintons biggest accomplishment and the one that will live forever in America's history books was making "Oral Sex" popular among liberals, kids now do it on the school busses at 7:AM.
    :bricks:
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Speaking of facts Patters, the Sinn Fein terrorist are leftist progressives politically. ;)
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't even really care who deserves the credit. I'm just glad that the nation my mother was born in has moved closer to peace. This situation does point out just how dangerous it can be for an outside nation to insert itself into internal matters, and how long lasting the resulting ill will can remain. It was a very long time ago that England first decided that it knew what was best for Ireland.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

The Irish street kids gave the English a run for their money.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

History repeats itself and we do not learn from other's mistakes..
  10. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

"Right after 9/11 the IRA funding absolutely dried up. I lived in NYC and saw the coffee cans behind every Iraish bar for "the cause" those cans dissappeared on 9/12 and have never come back. Irish/Americans were the main/only source of funding for the IRA and that funding absolutely dried up. The IRA simpley has no more backers and that is why they are disarming"

(FTW)

Never truer words were spoken. I won't get into the other stuff, like which foreigner allegedly did most to bring peace, because it's far too boring.

As much as I am happy about peace in Ireland, I am extremely aggrieved that common criminals and murderers get away with minimal prison time as part of the peace agreement. :mad:
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Amnesty at it's best. You've got to love that word.....if you're a criminal. :mad:
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The scales won't be truly in balance until every English soldier and Protestant cop who beat the ever loving snot out of some teen or 20 something for looking like a terrorist gets his day in court. We all know that's never going to happen. Too many of those 'common criminals' have died of old age. However some are willing to accept unbalanced justice if it means moving on.

Funny how so many who rail against the made up Spanish 'invasion' of this country are so quick to just accept the actual invasion and occupation of another country by an ally.
  13. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

There are plenty of Loyalist paramilitary types who fit your description and who could be tried. The problem is that they, too, have been granted an amnesty, with full licence to deal drugs, murder, intimidate, collect protection money and generally behave like pond scum. :mad:

Just for the record, I despise the IRA and their Loyalist equivalents. They act as if they are freedom fighters, when their only recent contribution to the struggle was to kill innocent people on both sides. Their deliberate and cynical targeting of civilians removes any moral legitimacy, IMHO, something that isn't justified by previous crimes committed by the British and their allies.

I'd be fine with a United Ireland, but only where the majority of both communities agreed to it. Otherwise, we create more problems than we solve. But then, I was born to an Irish mother and went to Mass as a small child.

I'd suggest that the Anglo Saxon invasion of America should be addressed, but then there are far too many of you that we don't want back.