PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PD: SHOULD the Patriots even re-sign Wilfork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we dont franchise him or resign him then we would be letting him walk without getting something in return.

Under what plausible set of circumstances, though, would neither of those things happen?

Under what plausible set of circumstances, though, would neither of those things happen?

No, I completely agree that one of those two scenarios will happen. Another poster said there wasnt a way that Wilfork could walk away and we couldnt get anything for him.

I think New England will either resign him, trade him for draft picks this year and next year or trade him and target a big name in free agency like Peppers, Will Smith or Dansby.

Preferably, you resign him if you can come to a deal that appeases both sides. If not, you move on.

The Patriots selected Brace and could target either Dan Williams or Terrence Cody if they get a chance.

I honestly wouldn't be mad at the thought of Wilfork walking because their run defense is mediocre anyways. I'm in the minority that think he is overrated. However, this will only create another huge need and will once again shift their focus away from the pass rush and other needs. If you keep replacing players that leave through the draft, it's extremely difficult to get better at other positions. If they let him walk or trade him and draft a NT with their first pick, they're right back at square one.

Last edited:
If he loves Florida so much, trade him to the Bucs. I'm sick of the so called "I've lived up to my contract". Didn't the Pats live up to their end of the deal? BTW, I'd hate only getting 6 million plus a year.

He is going to be franchised this year. Then as once some one is franchised he can show up on week 1 and collect his check he will not show up till after the 4th preseason game.

The question i have is how effective he will be not being in football shape from all the camp.He is a big guy and no conditioning is a injury waiting to happen. Last 2 yrs he has played injured i am aslo question his motivation to play hurt in a franchise tag .

So i see him gone for a 2nd rd pick in week 1 or week 2.why 2nd well unlike branch every team does not need a NT only 3-4 teams do. the 2 teams which can be traded is Arizona and SF. I can even see boulden for vince. Arizona actually save money if they offer vince a kelly money on the cap and real cash and have a true NT.

Never undeodstod the cody love the guy is 370 and has alot of weight and motivation issues. Its another big piece of POS , but on the other hand him and brace and be inactive all season and hit the buffet together.

Last edited:
Wilfork is the most valuable player on the Patriots defense, there is no argument with that. Without him our run defense goes from mediocre to terrible.

The Jets had Jenkins go out who was their starting DT, not NT. The NT is more important than the DT position in the 3-4 defense. The Chargers had Nwagbuo only miss 4 games. There is a huge difference between 4 games and not even being on the roster in general.

The Jets play a 3-4 and Jenkins plays NT for them. As for the Chargers, their starting NT is not Nwagbuo. It is Jamal Williams who was clearly one of the elite NT in the game before missing 15 games in 2009.

The Jets were very effective against the run, even without Jenkins - 8th in the league in yds allowed (98.6) and an impressive 4th in YPC at 3.8.

The Chargers weren't good against the run without Williams - 118 yds per game (13th) and 4.5 per carry (24th).

Last edited:
The Jets play a 3-4 and Jenkins plays NT for them. As for the Chargers, their starting NT is not Nwagbuo. It is Jamal Williams who was clearly one of the elite NT in the game before missing 15 games in 2009.

The Jets were very effective against the run, even without Jenkins - 8th in the league in yds allowed (98.6) and an impressive 4th in YPC at 3.8.

The Chargers weren't good against the run without Williams - 118 yds per game (13th) and 4.5 per carry (24th).
It's worth noting the Patriots allowed 4.4 YPC (admittedly I didn't subtract the games without Vince but that also doesn't include the playoff massacre with him so the 4.4 YPC with Vince is probably about right).

It's also worth nothing the Browns' defense got better when Shawn Rogers went out and was replaced by a nobody.

I don't think a run stopping NT is irreplaceable given a whole offseason.

I think at this point BB is seriously considering doing the unimaginable and possibly blowing this thing up..

Hear me out.. He could easily get a low first #5 and 2 rnd'r #36 for Wilfork - KC
Brady could net 2 1st's and 2sec's - hint Seattle #6 and #14 #39 & 2010 2nd and swap w/ Hasselback short term fix
Moss to Vikings for one last shot at a title w/ Favre for #30
I also think they could move Mankins as well for mid 1st Green Bay #23

For Maroney I think we could move him to Washington for there second round pick #37- Shanahan loved him -

Move AD and Light to KC for #50 2nd round pick

Trade Merriweather he's expendable now :) Atlanta #19

That would give the Pats
1st Round
#5 - Berry
#6 - Hayden
#14 - Move up to grab McClain
#19 - Spiller
#22 - Dan Williams
#23 - Kindle
#30 - Charles Brown
2nd Round
#36 - Golden Tate -These picks are gold we can move up if needed or stay for value
#37 - Cody
#39 - Maurkice Pouncey
#44 - Tebow.. if he is there
#47 - pontential trade up - mid 20's
#50 - all potential trade ups -
#52 - traded to move up for McClain

I also think BB will reload in the offseason w/ Peppers and Vincent Jackson.

New wr core would be
Edelman
Jackson
Welker
G.Tate
B.Tate

New Front 7 would be
Cody
Warren
Williams
Kindle
Peppers
McClain
Mayo

New Secondary
Berry
Chung
Hayden
Butler

New Ol
Koppen
Pouncey
Connley/Kazur
Charles Brown
Vollmer

New Rb's
Fred Taylor
K. Faulk
Spiller

Qb -
Hassleback
bring in Pennington for backup

and Get a stud in 2011 w/ a top 5 pick.. my .. 02

I think this team could be very dangerous and def would be INSANE!

Flame away!! :cool:

I think at this point BB is seriously considering doing the unimaginable and possibly blowing this thing up..

Hear me out.. He could easily get a low first #5 and 2 rnd'r #36 for Wilfork - KC
Brady could net 2 1st's and 2sec's - hint Seattle #6 and #14 #39 & 2010 2nd and swap w/ Hasselback short term fix
Moss to Vikings for one last shot at a title w/ Favre for #30
I also think they could move Mankins as well for mid 1st Green Bay #23

For Maroney I think we could move him to Washington for there second round pick #37- Shanahan loved him -

Move AD and Light to KC for #50 2nd round pick

Trade Merriweather he's expendable now :) Atlanta #19

That would give the Pats
1st Round
#5 - Berry
#6 - Hayden
#14 - Move up to grab McClain
#19 - Spiller
#22 - Dan Williams
#23 - Kindle
#30 - Charles Brown
2nd Round
#36 - Golden Tate -These picks are gold we can move up if needed or stay for value
#37 - Cody
#39 - Maurkice Pouncey
#44 - Tebow.. if he is there
#47 - pontential trade up - mid 20's
#50 - all potential trade ups -
#52 - traded to move up for McClain

I also think BB will reload in the offseason w/ Peppers and Vincent Jackson.

New wr core would be
Edelman
Jackson
Welker
G.Tate
B.Tate

New Front 7 would be
Cody
Warren
Williams
Kindle
Peppers
McClain
Mayo

New Secondary
Berry
Chung
Hayden
Butler

New Ol
Koppen
Pouncey
Connley/Kazur
Charles Brown
Vollmer

New Rb's
Fred Taylor
K. Faulk
Spiller

Qb -
Hassleback
bring in Pennington for backup

and Get a stud in 2011 w/ a top 5 pick.. my .. 02

I think this team could be very dangerous and def would be INSANE!

Flame away!! :cool:

Pass me some of those hashish brownies you've been eating...

lol.. I know .. I know.. I have been thinking about it alot.. I just had to get it off my chest.. :bricks:

Trade Wilfork for a stud runningback and picks, to Carolina for Jonathan stewart and a third, trade to st louis for Steven jackson and a 5th that is all. We've struggled to find a workhorse back there's 2 right there that could be had, Steven Jackson is sick of losing, Jonathan Stewart is a pro bowler stuck behind another pro bowler, i was in th Deangelo Williams camp and we took the wrong back that year. Plus Jackson and wilfork we'd both on the board the year before we took wilork should of took Jackson in my opinion. So we can get rid of a ne first greed guy and get a stud back and a pick what does everyone think? Is It even possible?

heh.......mr. smart guy expert

in case anyone doesn't realize, the defense is already blown up.......

warren is the only starting DL they have under contract
mayo and thomas are the only starting LB's they have under contract.......and I doubt thomas is here for much longer.......

so the pats have to decide on 5 of the front 7 spots.......at this point, whether it is wilfork or someone else at NT is of relatively small consequence since it won't matter who the pats have at NT if they don't get some real talent in at LB which is really what makes this defense work......with vrabel,bruschi,phifer, and micginest at the top of their games, they could stick the old fat guy of the day in there and it would work......granted, the RDE position will need to be addressed with some real talent, but I think a guy like oldrick at the #22 pick would be more than sufficient with guys like wright and pryor as depth. a guy like ryan pickett would work fine for the next couple of years.

wilfork to KC for the #5 or to denver for the #10.....whatever it takes to draft rolando mcclain ..... the pats need an ILB who can do it all or they are just spinning their wheels.

the draft would look like:
1a - ILB rolando mcclain
1b - DE jared oldrick
2a - OLB jerry hughes or brandon graham or sergio kindle
2b - OG mitch petrus or jon asamoah
2c - OLB eric norwood

in day 2, take a shot on NT cam thomas or NT demarcus granger......and RB's Lonyae Miller and Joe Mcknight

dump thomas.....make a play for a big name OLB (peppers) and an NT (pickett)

DL - warren/pickett/oldrick with wright/pryor/(brace,thomas,granger) as backups

OLB - peppers/hughes or kindle or graham/norwood/TBC
ILB - mayo/mcclain/guyton

this would be the most athletic defense that BB will have had in his time here.......

I don't think a run stopping NT is irreplaceable given a whole offseason.

I don't disagree at all.

Football, defense in particular, is about the entire unit. For example, a downgrade at NT that coincided with the right upgrades at LB and S could result in a better run defense.

No, I completely agree that one of those two scenarios will happen. Another poster said there wasnt a way that Wilfork could walk away and we couldnt get anything for him.

I said there's no way Wilfork leaves without us getting something for him, which was reinforced by my conversation about draft picks and players.

I said there's no way Wilfork leaves without us getting something for him, which was reinforced by my conversation about draft picks and players.

Sorry, I was misunderstood. I agree with what you said.

we need to re- sign him. No one is more imprtant to the defense than Wilfork. Im disgusted with the thought that ron brace could potentially be the starter at the position next year. Wilfork was due a better contract years ago. since our last superbowl victory there has vbeen a disturbing trend of letting young talent that we drafted and cultivated go (Samuel, Branch, Givens, Seymour, even david thomas). sure, some of them werent as valuable to their new teams but they were valuable to US,and thats all that matters. by losing those guys we lost a valuable link to the past success of this team, hence the lack of leadership. Lets not do the same with the most valuable asset on defense, Pay him accordingly.

OK the Pats should have paid ALL of those guys you mentioned what they wanted......and then filled out the rest of the roster with Practice Squad players with the crumbs left over......:bricks:

Trade Wilfork for a stud runningback and picks, to Carolina for Jonathan stewart and a third, trade to st louis for Steven jackson and a 5th that is all. We've struggled to find a workhorse back there's 2 right there that could be had, Steven Jackson is sick of losing, Jonathan Stewart is a pro bowler stuck behind another pro bowler, i was in th Deangelo Williams camp and we took the wrong back that year. Plus Jackson and wilfork we'd both on the board the year before we took wilork should of took Jackson in my opinion. So we can get rid of a ne first greed guy and get a stud back and a pick what does everyone think? Is It even possible?

After Stephen Jackson just got accused of beating his pregnant girlfriend, I am guessing he isn't coming to the Patriots any time soon.

Yes, they should resign him.

Wilfork is the most valuable player on the Patriots defense, there is no argument with that. Without him our run defense goes from mediocre to terrible.

The Jets had Jenkins go out who was their starting DT, not NT. The NT is more important than the DT position in the 3-4 defense. The Chargers had Nwagbuo only miss 4 games. There is a huge difference between 4 games and not even being on the roster in general.

Before he got hurt it sure looked like Jenkins was the starting NT for the Jets, and he's also been listed as their NT since 2008, at Car he was listed as a RDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back