PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PD: SHOULD the Patriots even re-sign Wilfork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I doubt they will and that I'd be fine with that if they could get a 1st for him.

But I'm the stupidest poster here so for PD to even write about this topic is worrisome.

There is no question the Pats need him on this team. If the Pats let him walk I believe it would be the biggest mistake in the BB era here in NE. I believe that the Pats should give him a long term deal, not Haynesworth type money, but enough to make him happy. The guy is only 28, give him a 5 or 6 year deal. That only brings him to 33 or 34, he definitely has 5 or 6 years left in the tank. He isnt an every down DLmen, like the article said he only plays about 50% of the snaps. If they let him walk that creates another huge need on defense, maybe even more pressing than a pass rusher. The Pats cannot afford to lose this guy and have yet another huge hole to fill on this defense.

There is no question the Pats need him on this team. If the Pats let him walk I believe it would be the biggest mistake in the BB era here in NE. I believe that the Pats should give him a long term deal, not Haynesworth type money, but enough to make him happy. The guy is only 28, give him a 5 or 6 year deal. That only brings him to 33 or 34, he definitely has 5 or 6 years left in the tank. He isnt an every down DLmen, like the article said he only plays about 50% of the snaps. If they let him walk that creates another huge need on defense, maybe even more pressing than a pass rusher. The Pats cannot afford to lose this guy and have yet another huge hole to fill on this defense.
I agree with what you are saying. If they franchise him, they will
probably end up having to trade him for a 2011 draft pick.

Should the Pats re-sign Wilfork? That would be like asking if we should try to breathe today. Of course they should try re-sign him. Outside of Brady, Wilfork is the most important guy on this team.

Sign him up longterm maybe 6 years, backload the contract. Cut/trade him in the final year... sorry this a BEEEEZNISS

For the record, I think that Wilfork is worth $10M a year. I agree that he is worth more than anyone but Brady. That being said, I don't think such a deal will be signed by the patriots without much more clarity regarding the CBA.

Also, I am not at all sure that the patriots are willing to pay Wilfork huge bucks in any case. They may be willing to have Williams/Brace or Cody/Brace. The big decision may be whether to accept a 1st or have Wilfork play his last year and have no compensation other than a 2012 3rd.

we need to re- sign him. No one is more imprtant to the defense than Wilfork. Im disgusted with the thought that ron brace could potentially be the starter at the position next year. Wilfork was due a better contract years ago. since our last superbowl victory there has vbeen a disturbing trend of letting young talent that we drafted and cultivated go (Samuel, Branch, Givens, Seymour, even david thomas). sure, some of them werent as valuable to their new teams but they were valuable to US,and thats all that matters. by losing those guys we lost a valuable link to the past success of this team, hence the lack of leadership. Lets not do the same with the most valuable asset on defense, Pay him accordingly.

Are you disgusted with idea of Cody or Williams starting at NT next year with Brace as the backup?

we need to re- sign him. No one is more imprtant to the defense than Wilfork. Im disgusted with the thought that ron brace could potentially be the starter at the position next year. Wilfork was due a better contract years ago. since our last superbowl victory there has vbeen a disturbing trend of letting young talent that we drafted and cultivated go (Samuel, Branch, Givens, Seymour, even david thomas). sure, some of them werent as valuable to their new teams but they were valuable to US,and thats all that matters. by losing those guys we lost a valuable link to the past success of this team, hence the lack of leadership. Lets not do the same with the most valuable asset on defense, Pay him accordingly.

Are you disgusted with idea of Cody or Williams starting at NT next year with Brace as the backup?

Even though Cody has experience in this type of system, I do not want him. The questions about his work ethic and conditioning are enough for me. However, I reserve the right to change my mind as the draft nears.

Depends on where they will be drafted. Our biggest need right now is obviously the pass rush and that should be addressed with our first round pick because they are not any solid FA players that I see the Pats taking a shot at. If we select one of those players with one of our 2nd round picks then I am open to the idea, but definitely not using our 1st round pick on one of them.

With that being said I think the Patriots need to resign Wilfork, his value to this team is incredibly high, not only with his play but also his leadership. The defense lacked leadership this past season and if Wilfork is let go who is the veteran leader on that defense that knows the Patriot way and how to win? There really isnt that guy besides Wilfork. Letting Wilfork walk away would be taking a 2 steps backwards instead of a step forward.

I will leave the negotiating process or lack of in another thread.........

the question is whether the pats are going to simply blow the defense up.......

currently on the roster and under contract:

DL: warren/wright/pryor/brace
LB: crable/mayo/mckenzie/thomas
DB:butler/macgowan/meriweather/springs/wheatley/wilhite/chung

you could say that the pats are only set at starter in 3 spots (4 if you include butler)

maybe the idea is to tag and trade wilfork. maybe the chiefs, browns, or broncos would entertain the notion of giving up their 2010 first rounder to the pats.......maybe the deal is already in place with one of the former pats cronies

even with wilfork, the defense is full of holes....who knows, maybe BB is sick of not being able to find the kind of 3-4 LB's he wants and is going to switch to a tampa 2

I will leave the negotiating process or lack of in another thread.........

the question is whether the pats are going to simply blow the defense up.......

currently on the roster and under contract:

DL: warren/wright/pryor/brace
LB: crable/mayo/mckenzie/thomas
DB:butler/macgowan/meriweather/springs/wheatley/wilhite/chung

you could say that the pats are only set at starter in 3 spots (4 if you include butler)

maybe the idea is to tag and trade wilfork. maybe the chiefs, browns, or broncos would entertain the notion of giving up their 2010 first rounder to the pats.......maybe the deal is already in place with one of the former pats cronies

even with wilfork, the defense is full of holes....who knows, maybe BB is sick of not being able to find the kind of 3-4 LB's he wants and is going to switch to a tampa 2

The idea of tagging and then trading Wilfork for a 2010 first rounder is an interesting one. I am still not sure if it is worth it though. Wilfork has proven he is one of the top DT's in the league.

BB will never switch his defense from the 3-4, he has never coached a team that didnt use the 3-4

Dumb article. The lines been holding the fort while we try to play a 3-4 with one or two linebackers.

He'll be 34 at the end of a contract. Nose tackles get better with age. Strength endures, it's the legs of speedsters that go.
He even gives examples of older succesful NTs.

Since he makes no points well, I'd say we should sign Wilfork if we can.

If we can?

If Kraft wants to pay Wilfork $10M a year, I suspect the deal CAN be done.

Dumb article. The lines been holding the fort while we try to play a 3-4 with one or two linebackers.

He'll be 34 at the end of a contract. Nose tackles get better with age. Strength endures, it's the legs of speedsters that go.
He even gives examples of older succesful NTs.

Since he makes no points well, I'd say we should sign Wilfork if we can.

As you will see in the combine, Dan Wlliams is NOT slow.

you're talking about a guy who is not here........you are also talking about going into the season without a guy who has shown he can play the nose as a regular

makes some sense if you are blowing the defense up........but the defense is already blown up anyway.

and cody runs a 5.8/40.......you could probably wake up traylor right now and he could outrun that

The idea of tagging and then trading Wilfork for a 2010 first rounder is an interesting one. I am still not sure if it is worth it though. Wilfork has proven he is one of the top DT's in the league.

BB will never switch his defense from the 3-4, he has never coached a team that didnt use the 3-4

depends on the mindset of the front office......maybe they look at the rest of the defensive roster and tell themselves it won't matter in 2010 if they have wilfork or not.......they are going to be mediocre and must go through the pains of devevloping younger players now instead of trying to keep the status quo going........

who knows.....maybe they think they will move wilfork, get the first rounder, and then backfill with someone like ryan pickett for less money and pick up the draft pick along the way.......

the defense has been getting slower and less athletic since 2004

Actually it is the opposite. The defense has been getting faster and more athletic.

That shouldn't in any way to be confused with getting better since 2004 which it defintely hasn't been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes