Welcome to PatsFans.com

PBS Frontline: Endgame

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jun 21, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

After their "DarkSide" piece, which exposed pre-war "intel" for all to see, I would say this is Frontline's best work.

Not for the faint of heart... not pretty.... not deniable....

Endgame

This program contains graphic and violent imagery

On Dec. 19, 2006, President George W. Bush said for the first time that the United States is not winning the war in Iraq. It was a dramatic admission from a president who had insisted since the war began that things were under control.

Now, as the U.S. begins what the administration hopes is the final effort to secure victory through a "surge" of troops, Gen. Jack Keane, Col. William Hix, Col. H.R. McMaster, Maj. Thomas Mowle, State Department Counselor and other military and government officials talk to FRONTLINE about both the military and political events that have led up to the current "surge" strategy, in Endgame. The report is the fifth film in a series of Iraq war stories from FRONTLINE producer Michael Kirk, including Rumsfeld's War, The Torture Question, The Dark Side and The Lost Year in Iraq. (more »)
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 2 / -9

PBS is the left wings Fox News (without the ratings)
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

here we go again......
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

let's try a little experiment, shall we, rationallies? for this thread, let's ignore the trolls who refuse to watch the non-political program or comment on its content.... let them squawk and obfuscate all they like...

however, if a Bushie has the courage to watch the program, and can instead comment on and dispute any of the major themes, or prove a general or CIA agent is lying, we'll promise to forgive their forum sins and debate civilly with them from here on out...

this will be their chance to truly take the high road, and debate the issue of this war's success/failure with merit, and not personal attacks...

if not, oh well....

but this war's objectives are lost and not retrievable... i don't like it.... but worse, i don't like that certain elements of this country refuse to own up....

"And let no one be mistaken about this: The Muslim Arabs on the ground in Iraq know we are done. We are finished. They know we are going to leave. It's not a question of if; it's only a question of when. And they see us as having been defeated. That's very clear. The only people who aren't clear on this right now are sitting in Washington, D.C., particularly in the White House and the Pentagon" -- Col. Douglas Macgregor (Ret.) Military strategist
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well I haven't seen the show but that one quote from Macgergor says a few things and doesn't mean we lost. I know you must be giddy and couldn't wait to post this good news of our reported defeat. How do you think the Muslim Arabs think we're finished? Could they be influenced by the never ending bombardment of anti Ameircan reports and stories in the media? Count on that PBS piece being a centerpiece for discussion and rally cry for those Muslims on the ground. This will surely convince them, and with folks like you spreadding the "good news" it could happen all the faster. I've seen many more quotes from generals that beg to differ with his take on things. I will watch it though. I for one don't just watch/read things that support my take on things. But i'm just a jaggie, isn't that right?
  6. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

An accurate and revealing portrayal of events here and in Iraq.

Just loved the scene where Bremer is secreted out of Iraq because the normal airport road was deemed unsafe.

Rat poison for the Neo Cons.
    Eat it up Boys
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

unecessary personal attack.... one down... 9 or 10 more to go...

i still have hope one or two of them will take the offer ...
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Are you talking about me? I said I would watch it if you read my post.
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Pot to the kettle: "You're black". Tell me you didn't post the lets "try a little experiment" to belittle people that disagree with you. tell me that you didn't call me a jaggie? Tell me that you don't call people idiots and POS. Tell me that this whole post wasn't meant as a gottcha piece. When I have a several hours I'm going to piece a by now very long thread of all the name calling, smug, smarter than thou posts you bombard the board with every day of your life. You're entitled to your point of view you are vicious to anyone that disagrees. You use the word "debate" but there is absloutely none with you. There is one and only one view that is acceptable in the world and that is yours. You know it all and when some mentioned football then of course you are then ultimate expert on that as well. Why didn't that suprise me? I think i can throw away all my encyclpedias now. We have the book of knowledge right here on the patsfans board.

PS. Who the feck cares about you're stupid experiment? You know most people I tend to think are allright and would be great company at a football game or in another setting. Patters, Harry, Mikey, Foggy, Realworld, Pujo, I can go on. They seem to at least listen to another POV. You, are different. I'd have a horrible time with you though. No respect, none, zero.
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

like i give a sh!t...

again... i do so only in response... treat me with respect from the start, and you'd receive it... go ahead and do your research, and for each occassion whereby you find i've taken someone to task, i'll show you where that person started sh!t... including you...

it's not a gotcha piece... there are easier ways to do that... what i'm looking for is mature debate about the merits of this war... it can still be that, in this thread, anyway, if the predictable dozen wouldn't once again start sh!t on a personal level, and could perhaps tackle the issue itself...

here, i'll start: this occupation is lost...

now, see if you can debate that statement without focusing on me in any way shape or form.... go ahead... show me you can do it... i haven't seen it yet
  11. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So let's see here

One side of the aisle posts a thread to express a point of view on an issue..
    The other side responds by attacking/demeaning the source of information...
    Author of thread responds by counterattack on lack of research and mental acuity of the rebuttal.
    The other side cites irrelavent scandals from years past
    Author cites counter irrelavent scandals from years past
    The other side calls his Momma names
    Author calls his Momma names...ect ....ect
    Sense a pattern here?

Not just this thread...but all these stinkin threads!!!!!!!

When does the damn football season start??????
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Does treating with you respect require that you're not to be challanged? And did you not throw youself smack-dab in the middle of of the focus with your little "experiment"?

Anyway for starters we are still in there and we are still fighting. To me and Tom brady that means that it ain't over. Sure, some retired ex-Patriot or some tired old media "journalist" may be all disgruntled over his time with or covering them but don't go in the media and say the season is lost in the middle of it ala Ron Borges. And don't accuse me of comparing a game to a war in magnitude. To the fighting folks, the same anolgy is even more valid. I have several friends in the military and I can't tell you how angry they are over the negative media and anti-US bloggers that is constantly thrown in their face. Once again it is music to the ears to the radical Muslims. Without even googling for disenting views of other military brass(which you know there are many) to your views of "the war is lost" drum beat. I'll say that the fact that we are there and the fight continues is evidence that it ain't over.
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

"negative reporting"

why is it that so many war supporters (or whatever they prefer to be called) seem to believe the media just needs to keep quiet and not report on what's going on? like it's their duty to infact, not do their job, and remain idle until the war's end? ... they're not making these stories up, they're a reflection of what is happening... blame the stories for occuring, not the media for doing their job...

i've seen the stories reported and the books written about schools restored, hospitals built, water treatment plants fixed up... so it's not like it's purposely focused on the negative over there... regardless, there is far more calamity and sabotage and waste and corruption... the media isn't here or there to make the right happy, or the left happy... it's doing its job to inform the American people ...

it's called the first amendment.... if you want to prop up a democracy, you can't stifle the tenets of your own in the process...
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +159 / 7 / -13

Because typically they aren't reporting on what is going on they are expressing opinions.

Why aren't they reporting???

Because they aren't out in the field with the troops That Why they don't know what the hell is going most are merely pushing an agenda.

Michael Yon http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/operation-arrowhead-ripper-day-one.htm

is on the ground reporting first hand on the surge and living with the GI's.

Alos Michael Gordon from the NYT is in the field actually reporting.
  15. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I got a better idea than your stupid experiment. Lets just answer 1 question.

Our blood and treasure are out there right now, sweating, struggling and dying right this very minute, and all your smug nonsense posts will do nothing to change that. It's happening now.

Arrowhead Ripper has begun. It's primarily AQ vs. us. We either win and have prayer of doing anything good over there, or we lose and, well............. nothing good will come of it.

One thing is for sure, some of us will die. My question to you is simply:

WHICH SIDE DO YOU WANT TO WIN?
  16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

actually, it's more than AQ... always was.. but thanks for focusing on me and not the truth...
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

bullsh!t... as a field journalist, you don't "report" on opinion... that's an oxy-moron... you report what the military tells the press when they come back to base, you fashion your story around military quotes and officials' quotes... regardless, there are thousands of journalists in Iraq, some embedded in the field...

no one is saying we don't kick the crap out of the enemy when engaged... but it's like holding five pounds of jello in your hand.... not possible to get them all.... not possible to stop the bombings...
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +159 / 7 / -13

If you are in the filed you report WHAT YOU SEE, and what you hear from the GI's in the field. This is reporting.

Most of the media is reporting from Press Conferences in the Green Zone and hotel bars. They promote thjeir agendas and make the 'fact' fit the story they want to tell. This is what the bulk of the MSM engages in.

Most of the time we were chasing the enemy out of one place and then into another. The current operation is seek and destroy IOW kill the bad guys.

Unfortunately it took Bush longer to find Patraeus than it took Lincoln to find Grant.

From M Yon with the troops:

19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

they're not allowed to just go out on patrols on a whim... and they can't go out unprotected...

do you believe Patraeus is the solution to this whole thing?
  20. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Just as I suspected. More smoke and mirrors.

You don't even really know the fight that I'm talking about, do you? Yet, you want me take you serious and debate the merits of the war with you? :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007