Welcome to PatsFans.com

Payoffs for the Trial Lawyers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jul 16, 2010.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +310 / 9 / -12

Even though your taxes will be rising dramatically next remember Obama is taking care of the Trial lawyers.

No special tax cuts for wealthy trial lawyers | Washington Examiner

2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They'll be the first ones to sue over Obamacare rationing... better to get them in line now.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

If America votes these dirty bastards back into office America deserves them.

Oh doesn't he have a beautiful smile
    My legs were tingling at the sound of his voice
    Democrats faint when he blows his nose
    Maureen Dowd dreamed she took a shower with him
    Thousands weep as Barack Hussein Obama is sworn in
    AMERICA HAS IT'S POSTER BOY

AMERICA HAS A PRESIDENT WHO WON'T SHOW THE PEOPLE HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

"mommy"
    "yes dear"
    "where was the president born"
    "nobody knows dear"
    "oh"

:bricks:

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

What a misleading headline...

This sounds like yet another case of politics over principle. In any other industry, the republicans would be championing tax cuts and in favor of making things easier on a business and the dems would be opposed, but here it's flipped.

I would think that from a tax perspective, litigation expenses should be handled the same as expenses in any other business. (I'm not sure the field's own ethical guidelines should alter federal tax code)

5. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tort reform...

6. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

what about it?

7. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Republicans wanted to cap medical malpractice suits and insurance company liability which is one of the factors in the policy price increases. On the other hand, Obama hands the trial lawyers cash. So you saying its basically two sides of the same coin doesn't ring true to me.

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

An aside: Not a fan of trial lawyers, but I suppose they're necessary in our society. I think our whole leagal system is heniously screwed up and punishes those who don't have money much more than those who do.

If we restrict the money a trial lawyer can make, why don't we do it with every other business? I don't like proctologists (poor guys can't get no love) but that doesn't mean their fees and compensation should be capped when a neurologist's aren't, does it?

9. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Capping liability <> restricting how much they can make. However, when you fix prices for a service, like Medicaire does for providers, yeah you have a problem.

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +310 / 9 / -12

Do you believe they should get special tax break when your taxes are going to go up significantly?

Really?

Part of tort reform is loser pays, wold prevent frivolous lawsuits.

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +624 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

Just FYI for those who actually "consider the source" in their news gathering - The Washington Examiner is a small, free distribution, advertiser supported tabloid in the DC metro area.

They used to send it through the mail twice a week - however there were so many complaints from people who didn't ask for it, didn't want it, and who couldn't, in spite of all their best efforts, stop it from being delivered that the City of Alexandria actually passed a special law forcing the publishers to honor requests to stop sending it.

The paper is published by Phil Anschutz and when he started the Examiner in its current format, he envisioned creating a conservative competitor to The Washington Post. Anschutz’s instructions were explicit — he 'wanted nothing but conservative columns and conservative op-ed writers,' said one former employee.

Since March 2008, Anschutz has given nearly $59,000 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee and current and former individual members of Congress, such as Orrin Hatch, Ted Stevens, Larry Craig, Elizabeth Dole, Rick Santorum, Alfonse D’Amato and John Ensign.

That alone has gotta tell you something about the dude considering his donations came shortly after Ted Stevens was indicted, well after Larry Craig was arrested for lewd conduct, and a year after Ensign admitted his tawdry little affair.

Phil Anschutz's conservative agenda - Michael Calderone - POLITICO.com

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Not sure that's what's happening. I'm goofing off enough as it is today, so I'll have to look into it later. If it's true, no. I don't think any business group should get a tax break, but I don't think one should be singled out in favor of another. Many business groups get different tax breaks, some don't. That's the problem, not trial lawyers specifically. Agree?

Forget tort reform. It won't pass with a Congress full of lawyers. Also, it won't pass Constitutional muster...due process and stuff. We'd sooner see term limits or campaign finance regulation before lawyers get screwed in this country, and none of those are ever going to happen.

13. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +795 / 6 / -9

The effect that tort reform would have on reducing health care costs is vastly overstated.

14. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +795 / 6 / -9

Truth. Sometimes I read it on Metro if someone leaves it behind, but it's a total rag.

15. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm glad you think so. I'm sure Media Matters or some other organization has numbers to back your opinion?

I mean, we're already looking at double digit policy rate hikes thanks to Obamacare so there are obviously no other solutions.

16. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +795 / 6 / -9

Actually, Wellpoint. Or you can look at the empirical example of Texas.

As for your second statement, I'm sure Heritage or some other organization has numbers to back your opinion?

17. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +532 / 14 / -28

Tort reform is a limp dycked right wing spin, first of all it is a states rights issue and secondly it has been tried in Texas.. and so far in Texas the only people benefitting are the insurance companies and doctors.. it has had no effect on the proletariat..

Part of tort reform is loser pays.. pays what their legal expense?? Of course they pay, who else do you think pays., christ you are braindead when it comes to legal stuff.. you do not have a f..ing clue, it is much more than a right wing talking point...

19. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +795 / 6 / -9

20. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah 13% on average increase proves no point. Another worthless contribution from you.