PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Paying For Tight Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The patriots have certainly addressed the tight end position this offseason. We now have two tight ends with cap hits over $1.5M, and Watson isn't one of them. We also have three backups that could probably play elsewhere (like Spach before them). As a bonus, Listorti was a fullback coming out of college. We might consider keeping him instead of Green-Ellis, or even as the #3 tight end.

Since one of Watson or Thomas is likely to go, it seems that trade talks are likely under way to get something for one of them.

Any ideas what draft pick watson would be worth? 4th Rounder?

I can't imagine that Thomas is worth anything, my guess is he will be cut. Unless someone comes in with an amazing offer for Watson.

I will be more blunt. I think that Alex Smith is our #1 tight end in a show-me one-year contract. Baker is the long-term anchor for five years as one of our tight ends.

START WITH SMITH AND BAKER

Now what is the value to the 2009 patriots of
A) Watson in his last year?
B) Thomas in his last year?
C) DeVree who was outr #3 for part of last season?
D) Listorti who was a top fullback prospect out of college?

Who is the best value as our third tight end? Watson probably is the best value to us, but it should not take an "amazing offer" to pry him from the patriots. The patriots will listen. A fourth seems right.

The patriots have certainly addressed the tight end position this offseason. We now have two tight ends with cap hits over $1.5M, and Watson isn't one of them. We also have three backups that could probably play elsewhere (like Spach before them). As a bonus, Listorti was a fullback coming out of college. We might consider keeping him instead of Green-Ellis, or even as the #3 tight end.

Since one of Watson or Thomas is likely to go, it seems that trade talks are likely under way to get something for one of them.
to assume one will go is wrong they dont have a true fullback so the extra spot normally dedicated to a fullback may go to a tight end who also be utilizes as a h type of back

Chris Baker is on a one year show me contract if NE doesn't pick up his option bonus.

At the moment Alex Smith, Ben Watson, Dave Thomas, and Brad Listorti are all on one year contracts. Tyson DeVree and Baker are signed beyond 2009, but either is a relatively inexpensive cut.

Somewhere around here mayoclinic has a link to a report from the Jester's OTA camp, the initial focus is on Vernon Gholston. Gholston himself is unimportant at the moment, but the commentary from a shellshocked offense dealing with the Little Baltimore defense was bemusing.

I'm wondering if the overall TE competition, not to mention the signing or trading for three TE's 255+, has anything to do with an adjustment BB wants to make to account for the defensive schemes that Baltimore, Philadelphia, and the NYGs do to pressure the offense. With St. Louis and the Jesters joining that trio of pressure defenses, and presumably other defenses looking to do the same, I'm sure BB has been pondering offensive counters. If you look at McDaniels drafting a blocking TE at the end of Round Two, the two offenses running the Belichick/Weiss system are both gearing up with bigger, blocking TEs. Just something to ponder.

I'm wondering if the overall TE competition, not to mention the signing or trading for three TE's 255+, has anything to do with an adjustment BB wants to make to account for the defensive schemes that Baltimore, Philadelphia, and the NYGs do to pressure the offense. With St. Louis and the Jesters joining that trio of pressure defenses, and presumably other defenses looking to do the same, I'm sure BB has been pondering offensive counters. If you look at McDaniels drafting a blocking TE at the end of Round Two, the two offenses running the Belichick/Weiss system are both gearing up with bigger, blocking TEs. Just something to ponder.

Although I think that Smith or Baker will prove themselves to be better blockers than Watson or Thomas, I can't help but wonder if Belichick will tinker with Vollmer in speedrushing situations.

There are some who don't think he has good footwork or speed but the video that I saw of him make him look pretty good.... so I'm wondering if he can't be an extra lineman/blocking TE in certain situations.

Whatever BB decides is fine by me though.

When I saw the post title I had to laugh

Sounds more like something unrelated to football and for unmarried guys (or unfaithful married ones ;))

I miss Daniel Graham.

I miss Daniel Graham.

He was obviously the better blocker... but $6 million a year better (and that was 2 years ago)?

I do think that BB would pay more than people think for a very good blocking TE but I still think that figure is less than $6 million a season, even today with NFL inflation I don't think he'd pay that.

We made a real switch to spending on offense after our championship seasons. Of course the Defensive Line is excepted in that observation.

Chris Baker is on a one year show me contract if NE doesn't pick up his option bonus.

At the moment Alex Smith, Ben Watson, Dave Thomas, and Brad Listorti are all on one year contracts. Tyson DeVree and Baker are signed beyond 2009, but either is a relatively inexpensive cut.

Somewhere around here mayoclinic has a link to a report from the Jester's OTA camp, the initial focus is on Vernon Gholston. Gholston himself is unimportant at the moment, but the commentary from a shellshocked offense dealing with the Little Baltimore defense was bemusing.

Oh you mean this article?

The New York Jets' New Defense Shows Up Early, Brings Chaos to Practice | Bleacher Report

Yup the Jets defense should be improved. Not only do they have a defensive minded coach but they added a lot of expensive free agent pieces to the puzzle as well. Sadly, the Jets will likely be a better team than they were with Mangini. Fortunately, they still don't have a QB.

I wonder if they would keep 4??? WIth on used as fullback/H back??? I wonder about Listori and ST and maybe they would keep him as a 4th..esp with injuries?? I do agree that Watson or Thomas may be gone..things happen...

Thomas has to be gone, unless they can get KC to overpay for Watson.

If Watson stays, maybe he'll shed is nice guy routine and turn into an animal. That is IMO what is keeping him from being really great. Rattle his cage, and see what we get.

Oh you mean this article?

The New York Jets' New Defense Shows Up Early, Brings Chaos to Practice | Bleacher Report

Yup the Jets defense should be improved. Not only do they have a defensive minded coach but they added a lot of expensive free agent pieces to the puzzle as well. Sadly, the Jets will likely be a better team than they were with Mangini. Fortunately, they still don't have a QB.
Yeah, the brilliance of the defense in practice could easily be attributed to the ineptitude of the QBs:

Excerpt from article:
Running 11-on-11 drills, the Jets' quarterbacks struggled to identify all of the different looks the defense gave them. They threw errant passes and failed to grasp who's doing what at any given time.

Watson is fast enough for Oakland to be interested.

If Watson stays, maybe he'll shed is nice guy routine and turn into an animal. That is IMO what is keeping him from being really great. Rattle his cage, and see what we get.

Let's just convince him all the opposing players are Champ Bailey and he can play SS.

Last edited:
Watson Not sure but when is the last time you heard the TE blew a block leading to a sack last year ?

WHen graham went we truely missed a blocking TE for a while .Alex is not a blocker .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes