Sign Talib?

• YES

Votes: 132 94.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the things that have kept BB awake at night over the last few years I would think Talibs position would rate very high.

BB know's Brady will score, he always scores, but we don't always protect the score.

In the end Talib was the difference and I just hope BB values a good nights sleep.

Now that's an interesting question. Do we? Talib has always been three things:

1. Extremely talented

2. Prone to off-field trouble

3. Prone to injuries, including recurring hamstring issues

Item 1 is pretty much unquestioned at this point. Item 2 seems less of a risk now that he's fit into this team so well. But 3 is still a question, IMO. Talib has never once played a 16-game season.

Any concerns about character, being lazy, not paying attention, and being an inadequate leader have pretty much been erased. He has parlayed his second chance into a nice 5m guaranteed payday and a shot at making top tier CB money. There haven't been any issues whatsoever regarding those concerns, and unless he's pulling the wool over everyone's eyes, it doesn't seem like that is nearly the concern that we had last season.

The hip/hamstring issues are a fair point as Talib has yet to complete any of his prior 5 yrs in the league--always seeming to be hurt at one point or another, but more importantly, at the end of the season where things are very important in these parts.

In my opinion, we pretty much know what we have. A very talented player who has proven to be rather fragile with the same 2 nagging injuries at the most inopportune times of each season. Now, how much the front office values that remains to be seen. As we have talked of before, the possibility exists that Belichick thinks (or at one point thought) that the scheme could still be replicated with any number of physical man corners. I wouldn't think that he would be leaning quite in that direction anymore and common sense would point to him opening up the checkbook a bit more to keep the continuity.

Of course the main question is "how much" he's willing to pay, and whether or not Talib can find a common ground somewhere with the years and financial compensation that is offered. Another important aspect to consider is that one/both parties may prefer to wait until Feb. comes around to see exactly where the market is, which is a gamble from the team perspective--and may force them to pay a bit more right now.

Open the wallet, this man is a stud. He makes Cromartie look like a D3 player. Enough of this Cromartie comparison. Aqib is twice the player than Cro.

There is no way they will give him 45-50 million, so if his goal is that kind of deal it will go to free agency and a possible tag. Last night was the best performance I have seen by a CB in years and years and overall his play has helped turn them into one of the best defenses in football, which I now believe they are despite losing Wilfork. Given some of the concerns that came with him i thought they would only go to around 20-25 for 4 but right now he is looking like a top 3 CB, and very few CB's could do the number he did on Jones and White last night. His price tag is going up and if he continues to play this way all season a tag is most likely coming. How he responds to that will be interesting to say the least.

Frontload-35/5 20 guaranteed with clauses, I don't see them going much higher than that, but i sure as hell would love to see him here long term. They are definitely a much more confident defense with him back there, and they have been executing game plans really well so far this season and he's a big reason why. Last night was perfect they gave up more meaningless yards than I can remember in a long long time and pretty much dictated the game aside for the Buffalo Wild Wings ending.

It may seem early to make the claim, especially with Wilfork out for the season but I really believe in this defense and think they are turning into one of the best defenses in the league for the foreseeable future. keeping Talib would go a long way in that regard

I'm not sure the team signs him to a long term deal, let's see how this plays out, it's easy to judge this after last night, and how much exactly Talib and his agent are looking for. I'm surprised he didn't have more/better offers in the off-season, than a one year deal here.

I've been trying to figure out what Talib said at the end of the game sitting on the bench?

It looks like he was saying "Matty Ice,THIS!!"

BVdGekkCcAANi-j.jpg:large

Enjoy him while he's here.

"We good, we good man". Aqib you not just good bro, you changin games like The old Revis bruh.

As good a night as he had last night the play that ended the game was elite. It is next to impossible to make that play without getting a PI.

Loved that GIF of him going to the bench

I'm not sure the team signs him to a long term deal, let's see how this plays out, it's easy to judge this after last night, and how much exactly Talib and his agent are looking for. I'm surprised he didn't have more/better offers in the off-season, than a one year deal here.

He did receive multi year offers from reportedly 2 or 3 teams, according to a couple of sources. This was reported by Adam Schefter:

"Patriots re-signed CB Aqib Talib to a one-year, $5 million contract.
The money just hasn't been there for cornerbacks, and Talib reportedly turned down two multi-year contracts elsewhere to stay in Foxboro. The Redskins may have been one of those clubs, as they targeted Talib in the early days of free agency. Talib's one-year contract gives him the opportunity to put together a solid 2013 season and retest the market in 2014."

One of the Boston sportswriters actually claimed that the Pats were one of those clubs who offered him a multi-year deal, but that could have meant anything as low as 2 yrs. The specifics were not leaked.

Talib felt that the market for CB's was low in free agency, and that it was better to get paid at a reasonable rate for one year and try the market again in February.

Will he be expensive? Hell yes he will. Will he be worth it? If he continues to play like he does now, with out a doubt. The value in having a corner that can shut down a receiver is worth a lot.

He deserves to be paid like a Top Tier Corner. As WE all know DBs on our team have been an adventure now with some what stability thanx to Talib bein solid openin up D schemes for BB, PAY HIM!

No doubt he deserves to be paid based on his play. I just wonder how much the team values the position in terms of priority, it just seems like they prioritize inside out (rather than outside in), QB, TEs & line of scrimmage players more than WRs and CBs in terms of $$ spent on the cap. I think it's more of a philosophical discussion than just a specific decision on the player. Who knows, I'm probably wrong, they may just sign him up long term.

Currently he is arguably the most important player on the team after Brady. So yes, pay the man.

Id like to see him get paid but what is his price right now? He's having a Revis type season right now.

I'd hate to see him go. No disrespect to everybody else on the D but that unit sucked for years until Talib showed up.

Frankly, I'd be fine with a tag on him. My main concern with him was fitness last year, but he was set back a bit by suspension. It still bothered me that his hammy went, which is one of the more avoidable injuries. We'll see how things go this season, but it's looking good.

The only guy who might hit the market this year whom we reportedly had interest in last year is the DE Johnson from Cincy. If we aren't going for anything exciting in Free Agency, might as well keep our own.

Id like to see him get paid but what is his price right now? He's having a Revis type season right now.

I'd hate to see him go. No disrespect to everybody else on the D but that unit sucked for years until Talib showed up.
I love Talib, but he's not having a prime Revis type season.

If they don't pay Talib who would they pay? Arrington got his money and now Talib should get his. The dude has the attitude AND PLAYMAKING ability which has been lacking on this team for A LOOOOONG TIME.

Pay that man! His price tag is only going up. Comparing him to other players about how he may react after you pay him is ridiculous.

Might want to dump your avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye