PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PAY Samuel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want him back as much as anyone. But his great season also increases his trade value. Not to beat a dead horse but we MUST franchise him to hopefully sign long term but, if not, trade. I see no reason we couldn't get a 3rd #1 pick for him but for sure we could get a #2. Before you guys jump on me, John Abraham got a low #1 last year as a Franchised UFA.

The best case would be to sign Nate Clements as a UFA and trade Samuel to really stock up in the draft. But I'll be as happy as the next guy if we re-sign Samuel to big money long term.

If they don't sign him, would this be proof positive that Corners just can't be a part of the Pats 'core?'

If they don't sign him, would this be proof positive that Corners just can't be a part of the Pats 'core?'
Depends on the money. If he gets good, but not nutty, money then yes. But if he gets some outrageous money if wouldn't mean a whole lot.

How much money are we talking about here?

I'd be willing to give the kid a Ty Law contract, $6 million per. At least as much as we were going to give Deion Branch.

The Bills are going to sign Nate Clements. They already stiffed London Fletcher because of the anticipated Clements signing. Clements is 26 years old. He's not going anywhere.

Fletcher is available.

All those who want an average $7mil cap hit for 4 years to sign Samuels, please raise you hands.

Then another 4 mil to sign Graham. Another 3mil to sign to sign TBC. That's 11 mil for those 3 guys.

Is that OK with you?

I do not want Samuel here next year. Fortunately, my crystal ball tells me I will get my wish.

3 million for Tully?

I don't see why we need to pay that. Also, no team in this league is going to opay Graham $4 million per.

This guy is young and still has amazing potential.

This guy is a top 5 corner in the league.

This guy is just as important as Richard Seymour.

If we lose this guy we will be very very sorry, he isn't Branch, he's a top tier corner, and we NEED him.

How do you figure that a guy who is a lousy tackler (good hitter, good cover guy) is a TOP 5 corner in the league? Half his interceptions were gimmes. I don't remember him going up and taking a pass from a receiver more than 4 times this year.

Samuel has the benefit of our good pressure on QBs (normally).

3 million for Tully?

I don't see why we need to pay that. Also, no team in this league is going to pay Graham $4 million per.
I doubt we'll make TBC a starting job offer. We'll go back to Vrabel and Colvin outside and sign an ILB to go with Bruschi - then sign or draft a young ILB to be Bruschi's replacement in 2008.

We have a decent shot to re-sign Graham, Denver was probably the biggest threat but they have Sheffler looking good. Seattle probably still likes Graham, he could go there.

To matchup with the Colts you need both your #1 and #2 corners to be strong. And you better have quality depth at nickel and dime back as well. Who remembers Alexander getting burned for a deep TD because we ran out of unfatigued cover personnel?

So sign Samuel, draft and impact DB. And dip your toe into the Briggs and Stallworth sweepstakes as well. That's how we need to rebuild.

I believe that the Packers did something similar before they went to the Superbowl in '96, they drafted bigger corners to deal with the wideout threats of teams like the Rams of that era, etc.

Briggs is getting Franchised and I think that Adalius Thomas and/or Jarrett Johnson are better options, price wise.

Stallworth doesn't impress me so I don't see the Pats going after him. He just doesn't seem like a Pats "type" player.

Kevin Curtis or Drew Bennett would be better options for this offense, in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind the Pats signing Wes Welker, if he only gets the minimum tender offer.

Soime of the things I would like to see happen. Samuel played like a top 5 corner, so pay him as a top 5 corner. If he wants ridiculous money franchise him for 1 year and try to get a good cb in the draft.

Get Donnie Edwards here.
Get London Fletcher here.

Both should be available and even though they are older, they are smart, BB type of players, and have a few good years left in them.

Pay samuel!!! :D

Soime of the things I would like to see happen. Samuel played like a top 5 corner, so pay him as a top 5 corner. If he wants ridiculous money franchise him for 1 year and try to get a good cb in the draft.

Get Donnie Edwards here.
Get London Fletcher here.

Both should be available and even though they are older, they are smart, BB type of players, and have a few good years left in them.

We've got plenty of old, smart (don't forget slow) LB's. This needs to be addressed in the draft. If Asante isn't re-signed by the draft (which I assume will be the case) then addressing CB in the draft would be a solid move. BB is very good at leaving himself options by drafting potential need, not just immediate need.

All those who want an average $7mil cap hit for 4 years to sign Samuels, please raise you hands.

Then another 4 mil to sign Graham. Another 3mil to sign to sign TBC. That's 11 mil for those 3 guys.

Is that OK with you?
$7M for Samuel (no S please) is fine with me. Graham can walk, we have Watson and Thomas. TBC is a jag - we need to find a youngish LB who will UPGRADE our LB corps, not worry about a guy who could be replaced by a street UFA.

Anointing a guy (and paying him like) a top corner based on one year is foolhardy. If you really think he's that good you franchise him for a year, see if he replicates his performance, and then pay him.

Me, I don't think he's THAT great (top 5 is a stretch) so I franchise him and then trade him if there's a good offer out there. With all of the cap room I'd have no problem paying him the franchise tender while grooming a replacement though.

Me, I don't think he's THAT great (top 5 is a stretch) so I franchise him and then trade him if there's a good offer out there. With all of the cap room I'd have no problem paying him the franchise tender while grooming a replacement though.

Name 5 CBs that are markedly better than Samuel.

Silver over at ESPN says Edwards is a Pats lock. We'll see.

I think if we offer Samuel good but not great money, it's on him. I can easily see him saying "no way, I've been playing great and only getting better," especially with an agent fueling that fire. I can also see some other NFL team agreeing with him on that self-evaluation. I also know if the Pats put his value at 6.83 M (unlikely) and he wants 7M, he walks. That's how the Pats operate.

I might, however, go for an incentive-laden contract that does not revolve around interceptions. Maybe a few bucks for an int., but at least an equivalent amount per pass defensed over a certain number. If there is a way to incentivize games with zero TD catches on his side of the field, hey, do that too.

But just signing on the dotted line and assuming all the risk on a heavily player-friendly contract is just the path to perdition.

Put some risk on the player both as incentive and as self-preservation.

PFnV

Anointing a guy (and paying him like) a top corner based on one year is foolhardy. If you really think he's that good you franchise him for a year, see if he replicates his performance, and then pay him.

I'm not basing this off of one year. He's been a solid player since he beat out Wilson in training camp of his rookie year. He's steadily progressed since then. His play, attitude, age and contract year have put him in position to become the highest paid CB in the league.

We've got plenty of old, smart (don't forget slow) LB's. This needs to be addressed in the draft. If Asante isn't re-signed by the draft (which I assume will be the case) then addressing CB in the draft would be a solid move. BB is very good at leaving himself options by drafting potential need, not just immediate need.

Well we have 2 older Linebackers, Colvin, and TBC Alexander. If Tedy reires we have 2 starting caliber linebackers (imo). Donnie Edwardss is still very fast and Fletcher is still a great player. As smart and cagey as our linebackers are supposed to be in this system, I highly doubt a rookie will do well.

$7M for Samuel (no S please) is fine with me. Graham can walk, we have Watson and Thomas. TBC is a jag - we need to find a youngish LB who will UPGRADE our LB corps, not worry about a guy who could be replaced by a street UFA.

I think if we learned anything in the playoffs, it was that Watson is NOT a replacement for Graham. If I had to choose based on what I saw this season, I would rather pay Graham what he's worth and let Watson walk. Not only does Graham mean a great deal to our running game, he also made more clutch catches in the playoffs than Watson did. Bring Graham back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back