Pay-me-a-ton cashes in on cliches

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This is outrageous! More than $100k for 60 minutes of pabulum. Even I could concoct a better motivational speech, but no one will pay me because I don't have a grotesquely shaped forehead.

I don't normally agree with Florio, but he nails this one:

Peyton gets paid $105,000 to speak at Oklahoma State | Pro Football talk

According to the Tulsa World, Manning received $105,000 for a 30-minute speech and a 30-minute question-and-answer session in Stillwater. The money was paid by the OSU Speakers Board.

So what did they get in return? Apparently, a laundry list of fairly obvious lines that appear in any of the various motivational books that can be purchased for 99 cents on the clearance shelf.

“I challenge each of you in this arena tonight to invest your time to become a game-changer. A gamer-changer looks deeper and senses something others don’t and then acts on it.”

“You either get better or worse every day. You don’t stay the same.”

Actually, this isn’t our world. It’s Peyton’s world. The result of us are just paying the rent. At $105,000 per hour.​

“Enjoy the journey, not the destination.”

“This is your world. Own it.”

Actually, this isn’t our world. It’s Peyton’s world. The result of us are just paying the rent. At $105,000 per hour.​

If P6 is sending the cash over to a charity then I don't have a problem with him doing it.

I'm not surprised that OSU didn't get their money's worth.

Hey Tony Robbins doesn't even play football and he does the same thing.
Tony Robbins does much more than string cliches together.

If P6 is sending the cash over to a charity then I don't have a problem with him doing it.
Correct me otherwise, but I saw no mention of Forehead giving the money to charity.

Come on, Tune. You must have heard about this commencement speaker stupidity. When Snooki from Jersey Shore gets $32k 3 years ago from Rutgers, the bar is set pretty low for this to shock the sensibilities. And no, I would not pay Manning $100k for his privileged view of the universe.

If OSU, not my alma mater, wants to pay Manning $100k for Joe Dirt slogans ("Life is a garden. Dig it."), then that's on OSU. At least Manning actually graduated and did some graduate work. Some of these high-paid commencement speakers actually didn't (1) go to or (2) finish college. A strange message on the value of the degree many just paid $100 -$200k+ for in my opinion.

Come on, Tune. You must have heard about this commencement speaker stupidity. When Snooki from Jersey Shore gets $32k 3 years ago from Rutgers, the bar is set pretty low for this to shock the sensibilities. And no, I would not pay Manning $100k for his privileged view of the universe.

If OSU, not my alma mater, wants to pay Manning $100k for Joe Dirt slogans ("Life is a garden. Dig it."), then that's on OSU. At least Manning actually graduated and did some graduate work. Some of these high-paid commencement speakers actually didn't (1) go to or (2) finish college. A strange message on the value of the degree many just paid $100 -$200k+ for in my opinion.
My sensibilities weren't shocked as much as this offered an opportunity to tweak Forehead. ;) I'm surprised he didn't close with an exhortation to "Cut that meat!"

Tony Robbins does much more than string cliches together.

Correct me otherwise, but I saw no mention of Forehead giving the money to charity.
You're right about Robbins. He strings clichés together to defraud people off the football field. Peyton does it on it. ;)

My sensibilities weren't shocked as much as this offered an opportunity to tweak Forehead. ;) I'm surprised he didn't close with an exhortation to "Cut that meat!"

The man does have some wisdom to offer from his commercial and SNL life. I would hope for the fee he would offer much of his repertoire to those OSU grads.:)

Come on, Tune. You must have heard about this commencement speaker stupidity. When Snooki from Jersey Shore gets $32k 3 years ago from Rutgers, the bar is set pretty low for this to shock the sensibilities.

I agree that nothing can ever beat this putridity that Rutgers, defying all form of logic, allowed to happen.

Even “This is your world. Own it.” is better than "when you get a tan, you feel better about yourself."

I thought the $5,000 per "Omaha" was a little bit excessive, however if the reports i read are true Peyton insisted that he not be paid a penny more than Tom Brady gets for his motivational speeches but Barry Switzer told him that was unacceptable and forced the money on him.

Yeah but that's some Russian Oligarch's money. Here we have $105k of Public money, if OSU ( and not some boster club) put up the moola.

Knowing what he did 2 months ago, there's no way I'd feel motivated after listening to this guy.

Waste of $100k IMO.

Knowing what he did 2 months ago, there's no way I'd feel motivated after listening to this guy.

Waste of $100k IMO.

"I'm Peyton Manning. Don't be like me. Learn not to take the gas pipe in high stress situations. Otherwise, your life will be blowout city, like me playing the Seahawks"

That would be some great motivation.

Peytie!! Watch outaha! Watch outaha!

0ap2000000322323_video_cp.jpg
tumblr_n0e7scaYCy1qjqxmoo1_400.gif

I have found on Youtube exclusive audio of Peyton's speech from this event. Enjoy!

I don't know if he did or didn't, but it would make a big difference to me if he was only doing it to pad his overstuffed bank account. The sweet 16 party was the best though.

Back in the day, Robert Redford was hired to speak to the students at my alma mater. What ever the guest speaker budget was for that year, he got 100%. The campus was excited to listen to the guy and the athletic center was packed. He gets up to the podium and says....I'm only here for questions. Then the greenies start peppering him about aspen trees, and endangered frogs, and deforestation, etc etc. And half way through, most of the students filed out and hit the kegger at Kappa Sig. And that only cost $2.......Aaaaahhhhh....college memories.

Ali G spoke at Harvard.

Id actually want to hear what Manning had to say.

Ali G (who isn't even a real person) speaks at Harvard.
Snooki speaks at Rutgers.
Robert Redford refuses to speak at the commencement he was hired to speak at.

We're actually making Manning look good with this thread. :eek:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back