Welcome to PatsFans.com

Paul Tibbets, Uncourageous Tool: 1915-2007

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Nov 4, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"I have far more respect for men like Eisenhower than for uncourageous tools like Tibbett (sic.)" - Patters

Well, now, let's look at the shameful, cowardly life that is Paul Tibbets...

- Born 2/23/1915
    - Just after his 22nd birthday, enlisted as a flying cadet in the Army Air Corps.
    - Commission as 2nd Lt in 1938
    - By 1942, he was Squadron Commander of the 340th Bomb Squadron, 97th Bombardment Group
    - Flew 25 missions in B-17s, including the first American Flying Fortress raid against occupied Europe.
    - Flew bombardment missions in support of the North African invasion.
    - September, 1944: Assigned to Manhattan Project
    - On August 6, 1945, Col. Tibbets and crew delivered the weapon from the Enola Gay (named after Tibbets' mother). They were lucky to survive when the first shock waves hit their plane, a full 11 miles away from the city.
    - Retired as Brig. General
    - Recipient, Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, Legion of Merit
    - Died November 1, 2007, in his home in Columbus, OH

Yes, we can clearly see how Paul Tibbets has shamed himself, his family and his country by his reprehensible, deplorable life.

The following sources were primarily used to compile the above:
    http://www.cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/hiroshima.htm
    http://www.theenolagay.com/man.html
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

We were talking about dropping the nuclear bomb. QuiGon, I think most people realize I meant he was moral coward for agreeing to do that.
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You said (direct quote, your words, taken 100% in context): "I have far more respect for men like Eisenhower than for uncourageous tools like Tibbett (sic.)"

Be a man (for once in your life) and stand by a statement you made. Though I don't blame you for backing down since that could be one of the single most reprehensible things ever written in this fourm...

He's just another one of those "uncourageous tools" that fought (and in many cases, died) for the very freedoms you take for granted on a daily basis. Once again we see how the typical liberal has absolutely zero shame.
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

He was doing his job under exstream circumstances the best he knew how. And 60 years after the fact YOU can't judge his morales. You don't know what YOU would have done in the same circumstances. Its easy for us sitting in front of a computer waiting for a big football game to make judgements about someones actions in hindsight that they were immoral, but I've heard Tibbets interviewed several times and he stated that he wasn't proud,nor found any joy in killing 80,000 Japanese. But he felt at ease knowing that he potentialy saved tens of thousands of American lives that would have been losT in an invasion.
  5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Sacrificing the few, to save the millions.......... yup, thats the very definition of a "moral coward".

Do you have the first idea of how many of not only our own boys we would have lost, but how many more Japanese civilians and soldiers would have been lost had we had to invade the mainland (and we would have).

It wasn't the destructive power of the A-bomb that made the difference (we killed more conventionally during the Tokyo fire-storm). It was the psychological difference it made. To speak so disrespectfully of a soldier that was "doing his job" during wartime shows 1) Your true distain for for military service and soldiers, or 2) your lack of historical perspective or knowledge.

Not that it matters a whit, but it's pretty disturbing to hear you said (and think) that.

R.I.P. Tibbits, you are a true American Hero, for risking your life in the service of your country. You are a far better person than many of us that sit here in judgement of your deeds.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

Well, I guess you misunderstood me. You're being childish.
  7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Uh, no... I think everyone in this forum understands you quite clearly.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Speak for yourself!
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

A very sensible commonsense post but the Blame America New Democrats will disagree with every word of it, They make America "the bad guy" in everything America touches yet they continue to live here and enjoy "the freedom", I wonder where they would be today if Japan & Germany had won the war, I wonder how long the Japanese Government of 1943 would have tolerated Cindy Sheehan or Sean Penn?
    :bricks:
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

Wow, so you all think Eisenhower, Leahy, Nimitz, and others simply didn't know what they were talking about when they said using the nuclear bomb wasn't necessary? Perhaps you've been indoctrinated well our propaganda machine? I think I stand in good company with my point of view, and, IMHO, Tibbets could only have been a hero by refusing to drop the bomb.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

When you called Menino a "frickin' embarrassment to all of New England," I assumed you weren't talking about his race, ethnicity, sexual preference, accent, parenting skills, etc., you were talking about something more specific. Was I mistaken?
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1) The problem with playing the ole' "Here's what my experts have to say..." game is that for every expert you provide opposing the usage of the bomb, I could easily provide one that supported it. So the discussion becomes little more than my experts vs. your experts.

2) Every if we allow for reasoned discourse on the matter, what you did goes far beyond that. Calling the late General Tibbets an "uncourageous tool" from the safety of your own computer 60+ years later is reprehensible beyond belief.

It's pretty much what I've come to expect from you and your kind.
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Typical Patters maneuver... deflect, redirect, deflect, redirect.

Could you please not derail my thread..? Maybe for once you could obey the rules you are supposed to enforce. That would certainly be a nice change to see for once.
  14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, and here's the truth about what Adm. Nimitz had to say regarding the atom bomb:

"This sounds fine" he told the courier, "but this is only February. Can't we get one sooner?" Nimitz later would join Air Force generals Carl D. Spaatz, Nathan Twining, and Curtis LeMay in recommending that a third bomb be dropped on Tokyo.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

Yes, but he also said, ""The Japanese had, in fact, already sued for peace. The atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military point of view, in the defeat of Japan."
  16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So what's your point..? Bottom line is he supported the bombings, wanted to do them sooner and also wanted to drop a 3rd one on Tokyo. So any attempt to portray him as being opposed to dropping the atom bombs is nothing but liberal lies and false propaganda.

I think I stand in good company with my point of view.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

Must you resort to lying to defend your point of view? I did not say Nimitz opposed dropping the bombs. Or are you referring to some other liberal? Perhaps that liberal is merely a figment of your imagination?

I said, "Wow, so you all think Eisenhower, Leahy, Nimitz, and others simply didn't know what they were talking about when they said using the nuclear bomb wasn't necessary?"

Nimitz said, "The Japanese had, in fact, already sued for peace. The atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military point of view, in the defeat of Japan."
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

19. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who exactly are "most people"? I think exactly the opposite is going on here. But keep deflecting.
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

I guess that doesn't include you. While I know you are trying to suck up to your right wing pals, and not striving for any sort of objectively, you can always go to the original thread where the context of my remarks is very obvious. At any rate, Tibbets' dropping the bomb was not an example of moral courage. Killing people certainly takes courage; in that way, we can say the murderers on 9/11 were courageous, and in that sense Tibbets belongs in the same group as the terrorists, but that's not the context of this discussion.