Welcome to PatsFans.com

Paul Ryan says that he believes rape is just another “method of conception"...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 25, 2012.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

and not an excuse to allow abortions.. a very weird interpretation of violence on women..

Exclusive interview with Paul Ryan | WJHL.com

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

What he said is true, though. I don't agree that life begins at conception, but if it were to, whether it resulted from rape wouldn't change that.

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I see where he is coming from ... us being a civilized society has changed the way we view things though. I'm sure if we could go back in time rape or forms of rape were prevalent to survival of the tribe. The big strong men probably impregnated their women whether they wanted it that way or not. We didn't come to this point in time from passionate love making for sure.

However - we are a civilized society and we do have laws and women have rights about their body. Those rights and those laws now come before nature. This is where I have trouble with the republican viewpoint. They seem stuck back in the primitive age of man. the way they think God wants it. god is one thing - our laws in this country are another and God comes 2nd to those laws IMO.

It's what is best for most people. the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few - Spock nailed it. I have problems with 2nd trimester and 3rd trimester abortions. There are many, many women who have miscarriages between the 10th and 13th week of pregnancies ... my wife had 2 after having 2 healthy kids - that's where we learned about it.

So even nature rejects many of these fetuses - that's not abortion either unless one twists it to nature abortion. That being said it seems to me that the body decides if that fetus should be a human after that period and the pregnancy continues on. if that's the point where nature determines the pregnancy continues then we also should go along with the same time frame if possible.

Also - and I have said this before ... if the GOP is so against abortion why have they never wanted increases in funding for adoption? Seems like they are talking out of 2 sides of their mouth here.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

See if a child is conceived in the commission of a rape the only guilty person who should be punished is the rapist, not the mother or the child.

Putting an innocent child to death because of the crime of another person is wrong if one understands that the child in the womb is the start of a new and unique human life.

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

6. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +206 / 9 / -26

Im assuming your position on life beginning isn't based upon science.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Total outrage, a rapist shouldn't have any parental rights.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Both sides of this issue have people who employ some very inconsistent logic. I don't understand the logic of a pro-lifer who says you can have abortions in the case of rape because, if you believe the unborn are human, then naturally the manner of conception is irrelevant. (And could someone please explain to me why the phrase "manner of conception" is so insulting to some?)

But the pro-choicers are pretty darn hypocritical too. Most pro choicers (no, not all, but certainly most) believe there comes a point when a woman should not be able to have an abortion. That line falls somewhere in the 4th to 7th month for most people (enjoy the preseason action, Mr!). But if a woman is free to do with her body whatever she wants, then why should the length of gestation be a factor?

9. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cool story... So in your utopia, the mother is somehow NOT being punished by being forced to carry a rapist's kid in her body for nine months? Perhaps she's being rewarded?

10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Paul Ryan is right. Rape is a "just another" method of conception.

method of conception = any way an egg comes to be fertilized

So..... Penis into vagina, ejaculation, sperm fertilizes egg no matter what the circumstance is by definition, a method of conception

I don't think it's meant as a justification or legitimization of rape the way he says it. You can disagree with his belief that a child, no matter what the method of conception, has the right to life (or. that it's solely the mother's choice)....... but to try to make something of his statement is stretching it a bit.

Any time that sperm has the potential to meet egg is a potential "method of conception". It's kinda like clinical Doctor speak.

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Many mothers who subsequently have an abortion later say it was like being raped a second time.

Children aren't a punishment they are a gift. Perhaps if you become a parent you may realize that, probably not though.

12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

if that was your daughter or wife who was raped by some insane criminal you would not approve of a 1st trimester abortion for them?

The other thing for me is I generally hate abortion - I actually don't even like 1st trimester abortions. But I have a hard time saying I have more of a right telling a woman what to do with her body than she does.

In other words my viewpoint is conflicted between what I think the law should be, what a woman's rights should be and how I personally feel - and all 3 are different.

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I wouldn't want her to punish the child. I would also fear the after effects of the abortion.

What would killing a child do to correct the crime committed by a rapist?

I would love the grandchild and try to see the rapist put to death for his crime.

BTW I have 2 adopted daughters how they were conceived we (my wife and I ) love them both and it would be a tragedy if they had been murdered prior to being adopted. We are grateful to their birth mothers for their wisdom.

14. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You didn't answer my question. But I guess it's different when you do it.

And who said I'm not a parent?

Not for nothing, 13, but you do become more ornery than usual when this topic is being discussed. And when you become ornery, no one is safe from your ban impulse. Maybe you should recuse yourself until after Nov. 7, when you lose the privilege?

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I think adoption is great ... my wife is/was adopted/foster child. IMO lost in this discussion is why our government does not do more to facilitate the adoption process. I think it would keep the abortion numbers down.

16. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I'm generally with you Icy.

I view abortion as issue best left to those in the position of having to think about having one and dealing what is clearly an emotionally charged, life altering decision.

Personal beliefs stemming from religious traditions (regardless of religion) should not be the basis for laws in our country. Laws in our country are passed/should be passed absent religion. Because, shockingly, not everyone has the same religious beliefs.

To boil this down (I realize much too simply), it would be like the US banning caffeine because Mormons are against it. Or banning pork because Muslims and Jews are against it. Or making a law that you can only have fish on Friday's in March.

Banning abortions because your book tells you that a baby is a baby when sperm and egg meet doesn't work, because you are passing laws to cover people who flat out don't see it that way. Not to mention, is Jane Q. Public has the choice to an abortion, and you are against it, what difference does it make? Does your conscience really take a beating because some woman, 3000 miles away made a really hard choice that she will have to live with forever? Doubtful.

Remember by having the choice, you have a choice to never have one.

17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

:americaflag:​

18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

No, and I'm assuming yours isn't, either.

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

I don't think most people who are pro-choice believe a woman should be able to do whatever she wants with her body. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

20. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

still waiting for anyone from the Party of No to rationalize how a woman forced to carry a rapist's kid to term inside her body is not being punished. ... I fully understand the "life is precious" perspective you'll try to spin... What I'm looking for is how you tell a woman who absolutely feels ill about the process a big fat "too bad" for 9 months?