PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Paul Perillo: Belichick made Ventrone his PS scout WR last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before his senior year in college Ventrone was considered a mid to late round pick but he broke his foot in his 3rd game and ended up not playing another game in his senior season. He would have most likely been drafted had it not been for that injury.

As a matter of fact, he would have been Mr. Irrelevant save for BB's TE fetish; Belioli et al. were trying to decide between him and Andy Stokes.

So his odds werent that long. His knocks coming in his rookie year were his health (was his foot healed), his size, and the fact that he played in D 1-A.

[directed at NFL scouts:] Yeah, Villanova's turned out nothing but bums, like that Brian Westbrook guy. :rolleyes:

I think Ventrone is alot like Troy Brown in the respect that Brown was a 9th round draft choice ( an UDFA now)
No. There were fewer teams back then. He was an 8th round pick (I believe) but was the 198th or 199th player selected. If he were picked at the same spot today, he'd be a 6th round pick.

As more teams came into the NFL, the number of rounds dropped, but the number of draft picks stayed more or less about the same because of more picks per round.

Troy Brown has played some very good DB.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, he would have been Mr. Irrelevant save for BB's TE fetish; Belioli et al. were trying to decide between him and Andy Stokes.

[directed at NFL scouts:] Yeah, Villanova's turned out nothing but bums, like that Brian Westbrook guy. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the fact that he was almost Mr Irrelevant and didnt even play much his senior year makes me think that if he had not been injured he would have been drafted for sure.

But I see him being very similar to Welker, which I'm not sure would be the best thing in a 3-wide set. I like having Ventrone as a #4/5, and in the event that Welker misses some time, he can slide into that slot and I wouldn't feel too bad about it. But having Moss, Welker, and Ventrone as the 3 wideouts would throw either Welker or Ventrone into a situation they're not best suited for IMO.
If he was a duplicate Welker then yes, you'd have two guys working the underneath routes and cluttering up an already cluttered area.

Where I see him (at this point in his development) is as a "Welkerized Gaffney," a little bigger, a little faster, someone who can work the intermediate routes to give Tommy a third option. Gaffer is quite good at that, and while Bubba is showing me Welker moves, I think he could get into the intermediate routes a little faster than Wes and challenge Gaffer's role in the passing game.

Either way, it's nice to see someone on the squad who looks like he can decently backstop half of the top receiving duo in the NFL. :rocker:

How fast is this kid? - I have not seen him play all that much

Does he compare with speed to a guy like Welker or Gaffney?

Ventrone speed 4.49/40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back