Welcome to PatsFans.com

Paul : 4 months : +11%

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Voters in Iowa in a poll has rated Ron Paul up to 14% to put him in 3rd place for Iowa. In April, his number was just 3%.

That is a major increase in the world of politics, and shows that his efforts in the state are paying off...

If he steals a few early primaries, there is no telling what can happen, there are so many "I like him but he can't win so I won't vote for him" types across the country... If they sense he can win, it could get interesting.

Iowa Republican Presidential Caucus Preference

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Personally I think it's Romney's nomination to lose at this point. If Perry gets into the race that might change, but I'm not sure if Perry would be as appealing nationally as Romney would. Interestingly enough, I think Romney is better liked by independent or center right voters, than he is by the GOP base. I think Perry would see more of the opposite. Romney is a fraud for the most part, but certainly capable of the job. He's probably the most qualified and capable in the entire field, including Obama. If Romney were to secure the nomination (a big if of course), I think he'd need to select someone like Ron Paul or that flake Bachman as his running mate, in order to satisfy the Tea Party types and/or the traditional base. We're a long, long ways from the election though.

American Research Group

7/5-11/11; 600 likely Republican caucus-goers, 4% margin of error

Mode: Live telephone interviews

ARG release

Iowa

2012 President: Republican Caucus

21% Bachmann

18% Romney

14% Paul

11% Palin

8% Gingrich

5% Santorum

3% Huntsman

2% Giuliani

2% Cain

2% Pawlenty

2% Perry

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Paul could very well listen to Paul and vote for him, but as soon as the establishment senses a rally by him, the process to have him pushed aside by using the media will begin.

4. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +679 / 6 / -9

Romney's a paper tiger. Once the other candidates tear into him, he's done for.

Should be entertaining if Bachmann wins. Pretty much sums up today's Republican party.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

From what I've read, Marco Rubio is the favorite to be the VP ticket no matter who wins the nomination. He's the only guy whe can get the latino vote for the GOP and he's viewed as a GOP rising-star

6. tehmackdaddy

tehmackdaddy Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As much as I like him, Ron Paul isn't an electable candidate. His appearance coupled with his inability to explain his points to John and Jane American won't allow it. That and a majority of America doesn't want such a fringe candidate. :confused2:

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Ive read the same. I think the people I speak inside the base/tea party, would certainly approve of Rubio. A Romney Rubio ticket would make sense.

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

I'm not a Romney fan as people in here know from 2008, and do agree that he's a paper tiger, but more so to the base. To independents Romney is very appealing IMO, in times like these. Indy's aren't going to care as much about where he stood on abortion 30 years ago, or whether or not he liked machine guns. They'll be mainly concerned with whether or not he's the best man to turn the economy around from a voters POV. I think Romney is who Obama fears most, if he fears anyone at all.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

Given his clear support for racism, he would be a disaster. His belief that private businesses should be allowed to discriminate based on race would obviously hurt minority races more than majority races. He's really a sick man, using rigid ideological thinking in the same ways the Fascists did. While it's no surprise that a state with among the fewest college graduates would elect someone like Rand Paul, I don't think his popularity would run deep enough in other states for him to have a chance.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +379 / 11 / -28

Breaking news he is not going to run for reelection, instead focusing all of his efforts on the presidency...

11. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I dont think you have mental capacity to understand his pro freedom stance on private property.

12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

I don't think Ron Paul needs a lot of mental capacity to understand; rather the opposite.

He's taken the stand based on a very simple and very sturdy ideological point about private property. The point to the contrary, as born out by history thus far, is that human rights are more important than property rights.

If you believe that the right to civil liberty as we understand it today (including the right of full citizenship,) derives from the right to property, you're on the fast track back to the eighteenth century -- which, not surprisingly, seems a period of great appeal to Paul.

If, on the other hand, you live after that Woolworth's lunch-counter sit-in and subsequent events, you have a more difficult attempt squaring Paul's ideology with a reality that can ever again pertain in the U.S.

PFnV

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

By the way, I believe it's Ron that's running for president, not Rand. Ron says we're better off without the Civil Rights Act; I believe Rand is upset that the national government can force individual states not to have slavery, or somesuch. They're pretty close on their racism problem, as I recall.

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

This is where Paul has lost me. I really like his hard-line stance on the IRS, drug wars and foreign adventures. At the time, I really had no clue about his stance on the CRA.

I wish we could play Mr. Potato (or is it potatoe?) Head with politicians. I'd combine Paul's aforementioned positions with:
    Carter's concern with civil rights and drunken brother
    Reagan's ability to bullsh!t
    Bush's folksieness and yardworking
    Ike's hatred of the MIC
    Johnson's, er...Johnson's...let me get back to him
    Kennedy's badassness
    Nader's brains and environmental ideas
    Romney's teeth
    Clinton's economic and female page massaging techniques
    Newt's ability to move on from mistakes
    Kucinich's hair and wife
    Huckabee's bass riffs
    and Sarah Palin's boobs

15. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What "Human Right" do you have to enter my private establishment? no matter what color, or class you belong too... A Human Right? Are you serious? Is it my "Right" to enter your home then...

People today throw the word Right around way too carelessly... You have no rights over anyone else, it is not your right to take away mine.

16. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

100% false, but thanks for playing.

Both Ron and Rand are against the Federal Government telling States, and Individuals what they can do. Federal dictation is unconstitutional, just like the Federal Department of Education, it superceeds State rights, which is against the Constitution.

Keep telling yourself it's about race... it's about private property rights,and state rights.

17. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Do you think a black man shoulc be barred from flying on a Jet Blue plane or using an Exxon gas station?

You see no difference between a home and a business? How about between a cat and a dog?

18. tehmackdaddy

tehmackdaddy Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wouldn't Jet Blue and Exxon lose out on the business the black man would bring? In addition to the business they would lose from people who don't want to spend their money on companies with racist policies?

And then Southwest and Shell would gain that business and make that money?

Now what happens to Jet Blue and Exxon?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  19. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Do you enjoy Golf?

What are you thoughts on The Masters? Enjoy watching the PREMIER event of golf every year? Interesting rules they have at that PRIVATE property...

Exxon is a public company, I don't believe publicly traded companies could refuse anything based on some group period...

However, the idea here is most businesses would have a significant disadvantage if they barred an entire segment of consumers. A resutrant who bans black people, would invite a resturant to open nextdoor which allows them, therefore making more money, and closing the racist owners place.

The more true answer is, if you were black, gay, a women, etc... Would you want to know the owner of a place is racist or would you rather go into their place, pay them money, and contribute to their KKK meetings on the weekends by giving him your money...

Wouldn't you want them to "hang themselves" by being up front with their issues rather than supporting them with your money?

Again, Hooters is allowed to discriminate their employees... discrimination happens all the day, you just turn your eye to it. The reason why the country club costs 20k a year just to join is to ensure "the rabble" aren't playing on the rich white guys golf course...

I personally would rather know if I was or was not supporting a racist to I can ensure I don't in advertantly support them.

FREE MARKET!

20. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well said...

The end result is Jet Blue goes out of business, proving that being Racist, sexist, is bad for business...

Business is about making money, The People of America were overwhelmingly racist before the 50s, so it was in businesses best interest to support their interests becuase business wants money.

Today's America, the people are overwhelmingly NOT racist, and NOT sexist... therefore it would be in the best interest to not support policies which would turn away business.