Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What would you like to see happen to Reche?

• Cut

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Traded

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Starting WR

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • #4 or #5 WR

Votes: 70 72.9%
  • AFL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AFL 2 catching touchdowns from Quincy Carter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like him...he knows the system and he's solid...I know..the drops...heck everyone drops sometimes..(remember Given's poor hands teh first year or so?? Or Graham??) 4/5 is fine..in a 5 wide spread, having him as an option is NOT bad at all. And for injury insurance..a good policy.

Right now looks like a 4 or 5, but the great equalizer in this game is injuries so having him off the bench is a good thing.. admire his work ethic and probably will only get better.

The final cut will come down between Caldwell and LeKevin Smith.

Calwdell will stare LeKevin down and make the team. LeKevin will then regain a year of college eligiblity and be a back up DT on the UMaine Black Bears.

I would still take Trusty Troy over Reche "Drop" Caldwell anyday of the week.

I like him...he knows the system and he's solid...I know..the drops...heck everyone drops sometimes..(remember Given's poor hands teh first year or so?? Or Graham??) 4/5 is fine..in a 5 wide spread, having him as an option is NOT bad at all. And for injury insurance..a good policy.

Ahh man Daniel Graham dropped more passes...

I would still take Trusty Troy over Reche "Drop" Caldwell anyday of the week.

Think long term. Troy is here for a year. Reche can be signed for 4 more at a very low cost easily.

Who in the hell voted starter on this poll?

Anyway, I voted 4/5, like most others, because if nothing else Caldwell does have experience in the system. However, he also had a bad showing in the biggest game of the year while Gaffney had two 100 yard plus games in the playoffs. So yes, I would also prefer Gaffney over Caldwell.

Who in the hell voted starter on this poll?

I did.

I think Reche will start the season as the #2 WR (Welker #3 in the slot) because he knows the system best and has proven chemistry with Brady. He'll end up moving down to #4 after a few games, but he'll be back up at #2 when Moss or Stallworth inevitably gets injured. Average that out over the course of the season and he'll end up starting more games than he sits.

Or, the Pats will trade him.

I did.

I think Reche will start the season as the #2 WR (Welker #3 in the slot) because he knows the system best and has proven chemistry with Brady. He'll end up moving down to #4 after a few games, but he'll be back up at #2 when Moss or Stallworth inevitably gets injured. Aerage that out over the course of the season and he'll end up starting more games than he sits.

Well you've got large ones my friend, to make that prediction. I personally can't believe that Caldwell would start the season at 2. I could however see him moving up due to injury. Injuries seem to be inevitable here, more so than on other teams even.

If he does end up starting the fist game of the year I'll have to hand it to you.
Just out of curiosity, who do you think is going to start opposite Caldwell: Moss or Stallworth?

Well you've got large ones my friend, to make that prediction. I personally can't believe that Caldwell would start the season at 2. I could however see him moving up due to injury. Injuries seem to be inevitable here, more so than on other teams even.

If he does end up starting the fist game of the year I'll have to hand it to you.
Just out of curiosity, who do you think is going to start opposite Caldwell: Moss or Stallworth?

Probably Moss. Stallworth will be starting by game 2 or 3.

As we learned last season, it takes time for receivers to learn this system. Hell, Chad Jackson still hasn't learned it.

I did.

I think Reche will start the season as the #2 WR (Welker #3 in the slot) because he knows the system best and has proven chemistry with Brady. He'll end up moving down to #4 after a few games, but he'll be back up at #2 when Moss or Stallworth inevitably gets injured. Aerage that out over the course of the season and he'll end up starting more games than he sits.

#2?!?!

No way. The brought Moss, Stallworth and Welker to be 1-2-3. Reche might split time at the three spot with Welker though. Why does everyone discount Kelley Washington? Hes a legitamate reciever and a possibility to be in that mix as well if he and brady develop chemistry. Personally, I think Gaffney is a better reciever than Caldwell.

Probably Moss. Stallworth will be starting by game 2 or 3.

As we learned last season, it takes time for receivers to learn this system. Hell, Chad Jackson still hasn't learned it.

I just don't think that you'll find Stallworth on the bench game 1 because of the speed and talent he brings. I think that before too long Stallworth would start to stew over there on the sidelines. His attitude would start to concern me because he strikes me as the type of player that you have to manage carefully.

I know Caldwell would be justified( to an extent) as well to complain because he was the starter last year, but I'm sure Belichick and staff are less concerned with Caldwell's morale.

#2?!?!

Personally, I think Gaffney is a better reciever than Caldwell.

Yeah, for the record I've said too that I like Gaffney's natural abilities better than Caldwell's. Caldwell can be better if everything is just right around him, but I think Gaffney has better physical skills.

Just on a side note, with all the talk of their "skills", relevant to the rest of the league, they both are pretty far down on the list.

#2?!?!

No way. The brought Moss, Stallworth and Welker to be 1-2-3. Reche might split time at the three spot with Welker though. Why does everyone discount Kelley Washington? Hes a legitamate reciever and a possibility to be in that mix as well if he and brady develop chemistry. Personally, I think Gaffney is a better reciever than Caldwell.
Washington may have better long-term potential, but there are two reasons Caldwell will be the better choice:

* For the 2007 season, Caldwell has more experience with Brady and will give the team a smoother offense in the first half of the season, which is critical. Think how few snaps a starting receiver gets with Brady in pre-season games, especially this year.

* I suspect Caldwell will be easier to sign long-term to a cap-friendly contract and will accept a backup role. If Moss or Stallworth remain after this year, Washington may not be happy being behind one of them and Welker.

Nonetheless, a real battle will be brewing between Caldwell, Gaffney, and Washington. I think we'll keep 6 WR's, Troy Brown makes the team if healthy and Caldwell has a clear edge over the other two, with Jackson on PUP to start the season. Barring injury, I see Washington as a possible late-summer trade.

Reche "Drop" Caldwell

Alot of people are talking about Reche lately in here but let me all remind you had he caught either of those two easy passes, we would have been in the superbowl and possibly could have won that game.

The first pass to Reche Caldwell in the end zone where it went right through his hands and legs was pathetic and then, to add insult to injury, he tops it off with a drop where he has no one within ten yards covering him.

I'm not one to dwell on the past, (can't you tell?) but I remember screaming at the television in disbelief. That defense lost us the game but lets not forget it was Reche who put the nail in the coffin. I understand we should forgive him as a member of our team, but alot of you on here are talking how he deserves to be a #2 or #3 this year. Yes, he developed chemistry with Brady over last season, but most likely will any of the newcomers ( I mean the guy can make Doug Gabriel look like Steve Smith)

Last edited:
Re: Reche "Drop" Caldwell

actually the first drop was nullified by Gaffneys amazing catch in the back of the endzone one or two plays later, so no points where lost there. The second drop was horrible, no arguement there. unfortunately with what the colts where doing to the Pats D I have no belief that even if he got 6 on that second drop they would have won the game..the pats could do nothing to stop peyton from driving down the field :mad:

and to counterpoint your point about them getting to the SB if he caught those two passes I can also say this: without Reche burning his cover man and catching that long sideline pass in the Chargers game did they even make it to the AFCCG? yea? what about if Reche didn't jump on that intercepted ball after Troy stripped it?

look at all the data man, not just the parts that make your case. I'm not saying Reche is a #1 receiver, but he was more than servicable over the course of the season.............but man did that wide open drop play over and over in my nightmares for a few months

That was a bit obnoxious, Asante4prez.

What I would like to see is.................every receiver bringing their A game to camp and see what pans out. It's premature to predict who will be healthy and productive come week #1.

I would rather not predict now but rather enjoy the camp battles.

That said, of all of the WR's in camp, I see Kelley Washington having the toughest time cracking the roster. Other than Jackson, he is the only one who has never been a starter. He was #4 on Cincy's depth chart and he is not a punt or kick returner. Washington only had 50 catches over the past 3 season combined. That's 49 less than Troy Brown.

It's obvious that Reche made some of us stark raving mad in the AFCCG.....but let's not have a Salem Witch hunt. He contributed plenty over the 2006 season and playoffs to help that team win.

#2?!?!

I bet you have never even seen Kelly Washington play. Are you some big time Kelly Washington fan? The guy hasn't done anything noteworthy since coming into the league. Enlighten me as to why Gaffney is better than Reche? And how about for a change you don't mention the Colts game.

And if you aren't one to dwell on the past then why are you still mentioning it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back