89 CB Kevin Barnes
97 FS David Bruton
124 ILB Jasper Brinkley
173 NT Sammie Lee Hill
200 TE Dan Gronkowski
208 OG Anthony Parker
236 DE Nader Abdullah

Happy with the way this fell.

Harvin puts the offense over the top with a guy Belichick can really utilize in a creative offense. This selection, however, is made peaking ahead to see Maybin & Connor available with the next pick. The additions of Springs & Bodden free me to select best available in the first.

I think Chung could be the best safety, and he's available with #47, thereby addressing receiver, OLB, and secondary. The additions of Chung and Bruton add size and speed to the safety group, replacing Spann and Ventrone with major upgrades. Both should contribute on special teams.

Meredith is a good developmental candidate at offensive tackle.
Barnes offers viable depth at corner, given the injury history.
Brinkley is a great value at ILB, and could readily start in 2010, following Bruschi, and provides a nice rotation with Mayo, Bruschi, and Guyton this year.
Sammie Lee Hill provides strong depth at NT, potentially the best NT behind the two BC brothers.

The rest just fill some needs.

According to the rules, I would go:

1 - #23 James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio St.
2 - #34 (KC) Aaron Maybin OLB Penn St.
2 - #47 (SD) Sean Smith CB Utah
2 - #58 William Moore SS Missouri
3 - #89 Travis Beckum TE Wisconsin
3 - #97 (Comp Samuel) Trevor Canfield G Cincinnati
4 - #124 Brandon Tate WR North Carolina
4 - #136 (Comp Stallworth) Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina
5 - #167 (Comp Gay) Kevin Huber P Cincinnati
6 - #192 Devin Moore RB Wyoming
7 - #230 Donald Washington CB Ohio St.

cor, id love that but watch Bill and the FO move stuff around. I'm almost thinking we end up with 2 picks and trade 2 for next year ... depends on how they see the depth this year and next I guess

This selection, however, is made peaking ahead to see Maybin & Connor available with the next pick.

Points for honesty! :) It makes a huge difference peeking ahead. I find I can't learn much doing a single-team mock unless I genuinely don't peek. It makes you look at the draft more globally, and understand the "you can't fall in love with players" maxim. It makes you think more about which players/positions you're not willing to take a chance on missing out on, and where the depth is most likely to be at your next pick.

Trades take on a more realistic tension, too. "Oh man, we're at #42, Delmas is gone but Chung is still on the board, is it worth giving up a 3rd to move up here? That means no OG for a long while." vs. "Cool, Chip Vaughn happens to go weirdly late in this ranking, so I can get away with ignoring safety for ages."

Points for honesty! :) It makes a huge difference peeking ahead. I find I can't learn much doing a single-team mock unless I genuinely don't peek. It makes you look at the draft more globally, and understand the "you can't fall in love with players" maxim. It makes you think more about which players/positions you're not willing to take a chance on missing out on, and where the depth is most likely to be at your next pick.

Trades take on a more realistic tension, too. "Oh man, we're at #42, Delmas is gone but Chung is still on the board, is it worth giving up a 3rd to move up here? That means no OG for a long while." vs. "Cool, Chip Vaughn happens to go weirdly late in this ranking, so I can get away with ignoring safety for ages."

I agree. It's gut-wrenching to pass on someone hoping he'll be there when you next pick. In some ways it's more stressful having all those picks, rather than just knowing the guy you passed up will be gone when you next pick.

You also have to think a lot about what other teams are likely to do. For example, if William Beatty is still on the board at #23 and 3 WR's (Crabtree, Maclin and Heyward-Bey) are off the board, then a swap with the Giants makes tremendous sense. The Giants have re-signed Brandon Jacobs and signed defensive players in FA. Their biggest hole is at WR where the loss of Plaxico Burress really hurt them last year. With the top 3 WRs off the board, and Baltimore and Indy likely to give serious consideration to Nicks, it makes sense for them to consider trading up with us and swapping 2nd round picks (44 and 58). If Beatty is still on the board at 23, then the only team who is a threat to take him between 24 and 29 is Philadelphia (who is also a threat to take Delmas). So it's a reasonable risk. And it's exhilirating if it works out. But it is nerve-wracking.

I used to be on the William Moore bandwagon. But after his performances at the Senior Bowl and Combine, I prefer Delmas or Chung over him.

Why Laurinaitus, Beckum, Tate, and Washington?

Laurinaitus has been slowly sliding as the hype from last year has continues to fade. He wasn't spectacular during his senior year by any stretch of the imagination.

The Pats currently have 5 TEs (6 if you include Hodel). Why would they draft one like Beckum? He's not a great blocker and he's not great at receiving.

Tate is coming off an ACL/MCL tear and likely isn't going to be 100% by the time the seasons starts, never mind training camp. Guys like Mike Wallace and Aaron Kelly provide similar skills without the injury flag.

While I like Devin Moore, I don't see a spot for him on the roster. The practice squad, maybe, but not the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes