PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patsfans Draft Forum Patriots Mock- March 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has it been a moth since we dis the last one? Much has changed so let's do another.

NFL Draft - 2009 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com Football

Rules - there has to be rules.

You cannot pick anyone ranked 3 places above the Patriots picks. So you can't choose a player ranked #19 or above and so on and so forth.

Once you've done that then you can do one with trades as long as the trades make sense from the value board.

This is just to see where people are thinking about the players there are no winners or losers. DO NOT tear into someone else picks until you have made yours. OK go to it!

Here are the Patriots picks as of now.
PATRIOTS 23 34 47 58 89 98 120 186 217

We will use pick #98 for the comp pick for Asante. Our 5th rounder went to the Eagles for Lewis.

Last edited:
OK I'll do mine first so you can have a good laugh.

#23 Clay Matthews LB, USC
heart_beat_md_wht.gif

#34 Clint Sintim, OLB, Va
#47 Eric Wood, C/G, Lou
# 58 Jarius Bryd, CB/S, Ore
#89 Chip Vaugh, SS, Wake
#98 Cornelis Ingram, TE, Fla
#120 Xavier Fulton, OT, Ill
#186 Brooks Foster, WR, NC
#216 Graham Gano, P, Fla St

Who did I almost take? Conner
heart_beat_md_wht.gif
Barwin, and Sean Smith but I went with safer picks.

Here were my picks on 2/11. Much has changed although I'd still like Sean Smith.

#23 Sean Smith FS UTE, more value as FS so not a reach
#47 Paul Kruger OLB, Ute - could be the next Vrable
#56 William Moore SS Mo- the next Rodney - naah -but close
#89 Caldwell, C, Ala, can play G also
#120. J Watkins OT, FLs- keep our fingers crossed
#151 Fritz Joesph, ILB Fla At could be a steal
#186 Graham Gano, P Fla St- why the hell not
#212- Ian Johnson RB, Boise- Team has not won a SB without a Johnson.

Last edited:
Trade #23 to Arizona for #31, #95 and #127 (Arz gets Beanie)
Trade #58, #89 and #120 for #38

#31 CB Alphonso Smith (Bodden and Hobbs are in a 1 year deal)
#34 OLB/DE Connor Barwin
#38 WR Brian Robiskie (Better than Greg Lewis)
#47 SS Louis Delmas (shock to get him hear)
#95 ILB Danell Ellerbe
#98 G Trevor Canfield (future replacement for Neal)
#127 HB Mike Goodson (
#186 P Kevin Huber
#217 LS Jake Ingram

23-Connor Barwin, OLB
34-Brian Robiski, WR
47-Sean Smith, CB
58-William Moore, SS
89-Jerron Gilbert, DE-I know I cheated, but had to for my binky
98-Antoine Caldwell, C
120-Jasper Brinkley, ILB
186-Sammie Lee Hill, DT
217-Devin Moore, RB

Has it been a moth since we dis the last one? Much has changed so let's do another.

NFL Draft - 2009 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com Football

Rules - there has to be rules.

You cannot pick anyone ranked 3 places above the Patriots picks. So you can't choose a player ranked #19 or above and so on and so forth.

Once you've done that then you can do one with trades as long as the trades make sense from the value board.

This is just to see where people are thinking about the players there are no winners or losers. DO NOT tear into someone else picks until you have made yours. OK go to it!

Here are the Patriots picks as of now.
PATRIOTS 23 34 47 58 89 98 120 186 217

We will use pick #98 for the comp pick for Asante. Our 5th rounder went to the Eagles for Lewis.

As a minor point, it should probably be 97, not 98, but whatever.

23- E. Britton OT

34- C. Barwin OLB

47- E. Wood OG/C

58- W. Moore SS

89- C Vaughn SS

98- J. Brinkley ILB

120- S.L. Hill NT

186- Q. Cosby WR

217- D. Moore RB

I'm adding an extra rule for myself, which is a pledge not to peek ahead of the spot where I'm picking. :snob:

23- William Beatty, OT
34- Connor Barwin, OLB
47- Jarron Gilbert, DE
58- Juaquin Iglesias, WR
89- Chip Vaughn, S
98- Antoine Caldwell, C/OG
120- Mike Wallace, WR
186- Lydon Murtha, OT
217- Everette Pedescleaux, DE

Didn't really plan to double up on so many positions, but Wallace, Murtha & Pedscleaux all seemed like intriguing values at their respective slots.

I'm adding an extra rule for myself, which is a pledge not to peek ahead of the spot where I'm picking. :snob:

23- William Beatty, OT
34- Connor Barwin, OLB
47- Jarron Gilbert, DE
58- Juaquin Iglesias, WR
89- Chip Vaughn, S
120- Mike Wallace, WR
186- Lydon Murtha, OT

Didn't really plan to double up on so many positions, but Wallace, Murtha & Pedscleaux all seemed like intriguing values at their respective slots.

I'll follow that rule. As I recall, justifiable trades were allowed.

23 - William Beatty, OT - go for the potential franchise left tackle first (a rare bird)
34 - Connor Barwin, OLB - go for the pass-rushing OLB with Ware-like measurables next (another rare bird)
43 - Louis Delmas, S - trade up with #89 and #58 to get our version of Troy Polamalu
47 - Robert Ayers, DE/LB - plan to convert him to SILB to anchor the inside along with Mayo and Guyton
98 - Trevor Canfield, OG - nasty, tough interior lineman to succeed Stephen Neal
120 - Mike Wallace, WR - compared by NFP to Darius Heyward-Bey in terms of physical skills, but with more productivity; reminds a bit of Greg Jennings
186 - Chris Baker, DT - 6'2" 326# NT backup for Vince Wilfork from Hampton; falls because of character issues, but is worth the risk this late
217 - Thomas Morstead, P - Patchick's favorite punter, so he must be an improvement of Hanson and Malone

Barwin and Ayers would be future starters at OLB and SILB, and would complete the rebuilding of the LB corps. Delmas would be a future starter opposite Meriweather at SS, and would complete the rebuilding of the secondary. Beatty and Canfield would solidfy the OL for the next 5+ years. Baker would be a true NT backup to Wilfork and is worth a shot late in the draft. And Wallace is a day-2 receiver who has a good shot at becoming at least a solid #3 behind Moss and Welker, and possibly even more.

With our offseason to date and this draft, we would be able to focus on DE and WR in 2010. The 2010 draft has a number of strong 3-4 DE prospects.

#23: Trade for #93 (Carolina) plus 2010 picks (1st plus additional)
#34: Michael Johnson/OLB - Huge upside if coaches/vets can mentor him
#47: Sean Smith/DB - Playmaker that can slowly earn playing time
#58: Will Moore/S - Absolute steal if he lasts this long, slides right in next to Meriweather
#89: Gerald Cadogan/OT - Plugs in at RT either this year or next
#93: Dorell Scott/DE - Gets Wright's snaps...Seymour insurance
#98: Scott McKillop/ILB - Spend year getting stronger and picking Bruschi's brain
#120: Brandon Tate/WR - Great return guy, coming back from injury so gets WR snaps in 2010
#186: Anthony Parker/OG - Disappointing senior year but great raw material for Dante
#217: Curtis Painter/QB - Fits the Pats QB profile. Awful 2008 Purdue team destroyed his draft stock

Don't like the value at the top, but cleaned up in the sweet spot of a deep draft class. Playmaking on D, some depth on the lines, speed on ST and a high ceiling QB familiar with the spread. Also took advantage of John Fox getting back in the 1st round to save his job, loading up with 2010 picks.

#23 - James Laurinaitis - This kid has to much quality football under his belt, he will need to make more impact plays as a Patriot (BB will light a fire under this LB's ass).

#34- William Beaty - Great OT to push Kaczer and Light, one of which will not be around in 2010.

#47 - Louis Dalmus - I just have a feeling about this kid that he is going to be a great NFLer

#58 - Juaquin Iglesias - I think Brady is going to love this guy. I though he was better then Malcom Kelly last year and would be a welcome additon to the WR core.

#89 - Lawrence Sidbury - Needs a year of BB riding his ass but I would have loved to grab Gilbert (damn rulles:D)

#98 - Antoine Caldwell - all american center who can replace Neal if he goes.

#120 - Emanuel Cook - Another additon to the Safty core (great tackler)

#186 - Josh Mauga - level of compition is the only thing that worries me.

#217 - Devin Moore - future replacement for Faulk. Not even invited to combines???

#23 Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
#34 Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati
#47 Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
# 58 Jonathan Luigs, C/G, Arkansas
#89 Chip Vaugh, SS, Wake Forest
#98 Cornelius Ingram, TE, Florida
#120 Zack Follett, OLB, California
#186 Worrell Williams, ILB, California
#217 Tiquan Underwood, WR, Rutgers

23. Clay Mathews OLB USC
34. William Beatty T UCONN
47. Ron Brace DT BC
58. William Moore S Missouri
89. Lawrence Sidbury OLB Richmond
98. Cornelius Ingram TE Florida
120. Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina
186. Lydon Murtha T Nebraska
217. Deon Butler WR Penn State

What do you think???????????

I had just finished doing the same thing, though I used the picks that OhExaulted1 predicted in his thread:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../214086-uneducated-guess-our-draft-order.html

After reading a lot of posts on here and trying to take in account everyone's viewpoints, I tried to make a draft that would please everybody (though we all know that is impossible!)

1- #23 Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
2-#34 (KC) Connor Barwin OLB Cincinnati
2- #47 (SD) Sean Smith FS/CB Utah
2- #58 Jason Gilbert DE San Jose State
3- #89 Chip Vaughn S Wake Forest
3- #97 (Comp Samuel) Trevor Canfield G Cincinnati
4- #124 Xavier Fulton OT Illinois
4- #136 (Comp Stallworth) Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina
5- #158 (Traded for Greg Lewis)
5- #167 (Comp Gay) T.J. Lang OG/OT Eastern Michigan
6- #192 Bruce Johnson CB Miami
7- #230 Devin Moore RB Wyoming

Looking at our current roster, it appears to me that WR would be the easiest place for a 1st round pick to come in and make an impact right away. Nicks looks polished enough to be able to earn playing time pretty early, while also possessing the ability to one day be a #1 WR when Moss is gone.

I don't think I need to explain Barwin, everyone has their own views on him. The other LB I have us drafting, Brinkley, has a unique combination of size and speed and would give us the ability to have a rotation of Brinkley/Guyton to pair with Mayo.

I would have preferred Delmas but he was out of reach, but Smith would do just fine as a FS prospect and continue adding size to our DB core. With Merriweather being able to play both safety positions. Smith and Vaughn would be able to compete with James Sanders for the other starting spot.

I am beginning to worry that we won't resign Mike Wright, so Gilbert would come in and be a solid developmental prospect at DE and protect ourselves if we do have to lose either Seymour or Warren down the road.

We don't have many OL under contract next season, so the 3 picks would provide great competition and a lot of upside. Canfield might be able to compete with Neal for a starting spot from Day 1. There were a lot of options of which OL you could draft, so plug in who you want. Easily could have went with Tyronne Green, Lydon Murtha or Jason Watkins, but I just think Fulton could develop into the best LT of the bunch and Lang has the ability to play both guard and tackle.

It looks like it is going to be an extremely tough battle for a 6th or 7th rounder to make this roster, so I went with two guys who have upside as talented kick returners. Johnson looked pretty good at the combine, while Moore could be developed as an eventual Faulk replacement.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
23 - Connor Barwin OLB
34 - Hakeem Nicks WR
47 - Louis Delmas FS
58 - Jarron Gilbert DE
89 - Chip Vaughn SS
97 (Comp) - Augustus Parrish OL
124 - Sebastian Vollmer OT
136 (Comp) - Jason Phillips ILB
167 (Comp) - T.J. Lang OL
192 - Stephen Hodge SS
230 - Lardarius Webb CB

Priority Free Agents
Anthony Felder ILB/ST
Jeremy Childs WR
Pierre Walters DE/LB
Bradley Fletcher CB/FS
Terrance Knighton DL
Robert Francois ILB
Ryan Stanchek OL
Tyrell Sutton RB
Chris Miller P
Seth Olsen OL
Jason Boltus QB
Josh Vaughan RB
D.J. Boldin WR
Cody Glenn ILB
Dudley Guice WR
Sean Griffin LS
Brice McCain CB
Dobson Collins WR
Dan Skuta ILB
DeAngelo Willingham CB/FS
Chase Holbrook QB

#23 Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
#34 Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati
#47 Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
# 58 Jonathan Luigs, C/G, Arkansas
#89 Chip Vaugh, SS, Wake Forest
#98 Cornelius Ingram, TE, Florida
#120 Zack Follett, OLB, California
#186 Worrell Williams, ILB, California
#217 Tiquan Underwood, WR, Rutgers

I had Barwin and Brace when I started my list but changed them to Sintim and Wood. But I would not be unhappy if it broke your way. You also included Vaughn and Ingram. If I would have stuck with my original list, we would have had 5 of the same picks. Very unusual for this exercise.:D

23- William Beatty, OT
34- Connor Barwin, OLB
47- Jarron Gilbert, DE
58- Juaquin Iglesias, WR
89- Chip Vaughn, S
120- Mike Wallace, WR
186- Lydon Murtha, OT

I'll have what she's having.....

#23--Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest--good player and can come in and help us
#34--Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina--glad everybody loves him as much as me, wont be a CJ bust but instead will be more like Calvin Johnson
#47--Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech--can play LB for us
#58--Paul Kruger DE Utah--to eventually replace Seymour
#89--Gerald Cadogan OL Penn State--could be a diamond in the rough
#98--Chip Vaughn SS Wake Forest--could really help us
#120--Sherrod Martin CB Troy--another good CB to give us some help
#186--Lyden Murtha OT Nebraska--another backup OL for us
#217--Davon Drew TE East Carolina--gotta get my boy now

Last edited:
dangit I wanna play but I can't view the list because it's blocked here at my work :(

I'll follow that rule. As I recall, justifiable trades were allowed.

23 - William Beatty, OT - go for the potential franchise left tackle first (a rare bird)
34 - Connor Barwin, OLB - go for the pass-rushing OLB with Ware-like measurables next (another rare bird)
43 - Louis Delmas, S - trade up with #89 and #58 to get our version of Troy Polamalu
47 - Robert Ayers, DE/LB - plan to convert him to SILB to anchor the inside along with Mayo and Guyton
98 - Trevor Canfield, OG - nasty, tough interior lineman to succeed Stephen Neal
120 - Mike Wallace, WR - compared by NFP to Darius Heyward-Bey in terms of physical skills, but with more productivity; reminds a bit of Greg Jennings
186 - Chris Baker, DT - 6'2" 326# NT backup for Vince Wilfork from Hampton; falls because of character issues, but is worth the risk this late
217 - Thomas Morstead, P - Patchick's favorite punter, so he must be an improvement of Hanson and Malone

Barwin and Ayers would be future starters at OLB and SILB, and would complete the rebuilding of the LB corps. Delmas would be a future starter opposite Meriweather at SS, and would complete the rebuilding of the secondary. Beatty and Canfield would solidfy the OL for the next 5+ years. Baker would be a true NT backup to Wilfork and is worth a shot late in the draft. And Wallace is a day-2 receiver who has a good shot at becoming at least a solid #3 behind Moss and Welker, and possibly even more.

With our offseason to date and this draft, we would be able to focus on DE and WR in 2010. The 2010 draft has a number of strong 3-4 DE prospects.

I'm going to amend my original draft.

- Trade: NE trades #23 and #58 (1060 points) to the NY Giants for #29 and #44 (1100 points). The Pats see Beatty, Nicks and Barwin all at #23 and decide to gamble and move back a few slots. The Giants move up to secure Hakeem Nicks as the successor to Plaxico Burress after the Bears take Heyward-Bey at 18.
- Trade: NE trades #89 and #186 (162 points) to Philadelphia for pick #85 (165 points). The Pats had planned to trade #89 into 2010, but decides to move up a few spots when I player they covet slips.

29 - William Beatty, OT - go for the potential franchise left tackle first (a rare bird)
44 - Louis Delmas, S - trade up with #89 and #58 to get our version of Troy Polamalu
85 - Jarron Gilbert, DE - a high-ceiling 3-4 DE, potential successor to Richard Seymour; Pats trade up when he slips
217 -Devin Moore, RB - Darren Sproles type of all-purpose threat, successor to Kevin Faulk; will probably be on the PS for a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back