PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsFans.com BEST OF 2008 Voting Thread: Best Rookie (not named Jerod)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who was the Best Rookie (not named Jerod)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Three candidates for this honor, in alphabetical order:

* RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
* LB Gary Guyton
* CB Jonathan Wilhite.

You have 48 hours to vote. :)

2 of the 3 are UDFA, doesn't say much of the 2008 draft class aside from the #10 pick.

I think that Slater just dropped a plate in his mother's kitchen.

2 of the 3 are UDFA, doesn't say much of the 2008 draft class aside from the #10 pick.

Arguing the other side of that comment....

O'Connell couldn't be expected to produce in his rookie season when he was neither needed to or expected to considering where he was selected. Matt Ryan had expectations, but he went early in the draft. Joe Flacco the same to some degree, maybe lower expectations considering the spot selected and coming out of Delaware.

Fair?

I'm skeptical of having my team draft corners and wide receivers with expectations of first year success. In the case of Wilhite and Wheatley, neither was successful in anything but getting onto the field, but they were serviceable in their first year. TW got hurt and that didn't help. That alone makes shields them from being part of a "2008 Was A Busted Draft" class. Samuel wasn't all that great (compared to these guys) in his first two seasons and most of the fans I heard from thought he was a career Nickel-guy. Give them at least an extra year before we chalk them up a "failures".

I'm split on Crable. I really think he was drafted to learn the system from the bench and be the occasional "project" that BB/SP like to draft. I want to say he is like Marquise Hill (RIP). The up-side was enough to draft the guy and I won't be mad if it doesn't work out. Then again, I look a Woodley in Steelerland and he is a big time contributor. Being hurt didn't help. I'm just torn!

Slater.... outside of helping on Special teams, I don't understand the pick.

Bo Ruud.... affordable reach for some pedigree. No expectations.

BJGE was clutch for the Pats. I chalk up his success from the number of injuries to Maroney, Lamont and Morris. Add to that, the Pats passing attack and his ability to carry the ball with an attitude, his numbers are bound to be there. If Eckel was here, I imagine the numbers might be pretty close but not better.

Guyton was my darkhorse and I think he will prosper if he keeps it going. Glad he came to NE and not SF. Finding guys like him and even Redd are rare. All the more reason to make the draft 9 rounds.

Sorry, that's funny.

Who's the kneejerk Slater defender, I forgot?

Last edited:
I went with Wilhite. He did well on ST and in the nickel packages earlier in the year then grew into and held a starting spot. Whereas Lawfirm and Guyton both started and then were bumped out of their positions albeit from injuries or what have you. Wilhite played the best throughout all 16 games.

Guyton. He already showed promise on the inside, got some "alongside" training from the best in the biz (Bru and Seau), and has an offseason conditioning program to get better. I think Mayo and Guyton will be the #1 and #2 ILB's on this team by mid-next season.

I love Law-Firm and believe he's either be part of the deadliest RB committee here or a solid RB on another team next year. He seems like a keeper, but also a guy who could be used to sweeten a trade deal.

Wilhite, Wheatley, Hobbs and ??? at corner next year. You just have to assume all three of those other guys will be THAT much better by September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back