PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsFans asks media: Were you duped by AH?

Uncle Rico

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Pretty good article that I actually saw because SMY tweeted about it. Russell Goldman asked media members, "Does the media feel duped by Aaron Hernandez or the New England Patriots? "

Does The Media Feel ?Duped? By Aaron Hernandez Or The New England Patriots? :pats Confidential

I was impressed by Shalise Manza Young's comments; very thoughtful. I wish we got to see her expound on her thoughts this way more often:

I was there that night Robert Kraft and Hernandez discussed his contract extension, and I still believe that Hernandez was genuine when he felt like the Krafts and the team had changed his life with his new contract. He was vulnerable that night, almost afraid to show this softer side of himself.

It is when he said the “Patriot Way” forced him to change that we – I – bought in, and believed that the largely nebulous issues from his past we’d heard about were truly in his past. Hernandez would play with Berj Najarian’s boys and Josh McDaniels’ son after camp practices, and he looked like he was truly enjoying himself, just horsing around with little boys who adored him and whom he appeared to adore as well; I always took note of that, and it is something that sticks with me now. I don’t think that was fake; I just think it was part of the clearly complicated puzzle of this young man.”

My only disappointment with the article is I would love to hear more from the media weigh in, as many get ready to declare open season on Belichick & Co.

Pretty good article that I actually saw because SMY tweeted about it. Russell Goldman asked media members, "Does the media feel duped by Aaron Hernandez or the New England Patriots? "

Does The Media Feel ?Duped? By Aaron Hernandez Or The New England Patriots? :pats Confidential

I was impressed by Shalise Manza Young's comments; very thoughtful. I wish we got to see her expound on her thoughts this way more often:

My only disappointment with the article is I would love to hear more from the media weigh in, as many get ready to declare open season on Belichick & Co.

I don't know why the media want to go after BB and Co for this. Did the team tell this idiot to go run the streets and involve himself in a crime? Ridiculous. The guy at fault is sitting in Jail. Their "open season" should be directed at Hernandez. :mad:

Peter King asked why the Pats' security didn't know that he was linked to a double homicide before they signed his new deal (although it appears that evidence found in the search of the death of Odin Lloyd might have produced the evidence that linked him to the other murders), but I ask why didn't the press know about him being linked the murders if the police suspected him as the killer last year. Every major paper and TV station has a city desk that has sources in every area of the Boston Police force. They could get that type of information easier than the Pats could.

Also, Bedard today said on WEEI he had a run in with Hernandez in February. Apparently, both were at an event and he said Hernandez was acting immature (didn't go into what he did) and Bedard confronted him to tell him his actions were inappropriate for the event. He said that Hernandez got into his face. He said he didn't think anything of it until Hernandez was charged with murder and the evidence was laid out.

He also said he has talked to some players off the record and some said they saw things Hernandez was into that they didn't tell the coaching staff or brass because they didn't want to snitch. He didn't say what they saw though.

So it looks like the press were either duped or didn't say anything they saw.

Matt Light: I have never believed in anything Aaron Hernandez stood for | ProFootballTalk

Small excerpt from article. click on link for more info.

"Former Patriots tackle Matt Light played with Hernandez for two years before calling it a career after the 2011 season and was asked about Hernandez during a conversation with Tom Archdeacon of the Dayton Daily News. The interview took place before Hernandez’s arrest on murder charges Wednesday, but that didn’t mean Light held back from offering a negative assessment of his former teammate after a pause of several seconds."

Peter King asked why the Pats' security didn't know that he was linked to a double homicide before they signed his new deal (although it appears that evidence found in the search of the death of Odin Lloyd might have produced the evidence that linked him to the other murders), but I ask why didn't the press know about him being linked the murders if the police suspected him as the killer last year. Every major paper and TV station has a city desk that has sources in every area of the Boston Police force. They could get that type of information easier than the Pats could.

Also, Bedard today said on WEEI he had a run in with Hernandez in February. Apparently, both were at an event and he said Hernandez was acting immature (didn't go into what he did) and Bedard confronted him to tell him his actions were inappropriate for the event. He said that Hernandez got into his face. He said he didn't think anything of it until Hernandez was charged with murder and the evidence was laid out.

He also said he has talked to some players off the record and some said they saw things Hernandez was into that they didn't tell the coaching staff or brass because they didn't want to snitch. He didn't say what they saw though.

Reporters are like street vendors. Some are licensed to sell the brand. Others work the fringes selling knockoffs. It's just entertainment and most "reporters" are remoras (suckerfish) just feasting on any scrap that shakes loose, making a buck on others sweat. Why actually report when all they have to do is monitor Twitter to get the next big story.....like what team logo cap Colin Kaepernick is wearing? Today they feast on BB. They act like "valley girls" getting all verklempt over "tone" and "demeanor". I just can't imagine being a willing accomplice in the media indignation that will take place in the next hour no matter what BB says. What journalism class teaches outrage?

From what I understand the Boston Police did not start to link AH to the double murder in Boston until after the allegations regarding the Odyn Lloyd murder...

So to think that Patriots of NFL security might know something about this is pure speculation..

The relationship between media and those they cover has always involved a certain degree of looking the other way. Not just Sports, but on the bigger stage; how many reporters knew about but didn't report JFK's philandering? How many "Great" Presidents were "guilty" of the same sort of behavior that brought down Clinton? (And yeah, I know, probably not the exact same behavior ... .)

A lot of it is practical. Part of the reporter's craft is working the sources that helps them create copy that fills column inches and air time. Another part of it, today, is ... who wants to hear the media whine? If Bedard had relayed the above anecdote before this whole murder thing, a lot of us would have teed off on him. (Remember his Talib column last year?) And Bedard's enough of a pro to know that, which is why the AH thing registered so little to him. It's the same thing with the players and snitching: 99.999999999% of the time, turning the other way is the right thing to do.

Let's face it, we don't want the media winging every time an athlete does something obnoxious. And we don't want Belichick to cut Spikes because what Brady said to Tebow in that FX segment proves absolutely that they were on to AH and obviously Spikes is a serious crime waiting to happen. Because it doesn't, anymore than it proves everyone AH could turn into a killer. So, all this second guessing is ... just that. As SMY says, this story is about a young man who for very complex reasons (allegedly) couldn't shake off whatever was in him. Sadly, it happens.

Re: Re: PatsFans asks media: Were you duped by AH?

From what I understand the Boston Police did not start to link AH to the double murder in Boston until after the allegations regarding the Odyn Lloyd murder...

So to think that Patriots of NFL security might know something about this is pure speculation..

And what makes sense to me is that this link to the earlier killings (that the media wants to pretend the Patriots should have uncovered on their own) only came about because the police were asking hard questions about the motive for the murder of Odyn Lloyd.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back