PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsCast Episode 6 (with Jay)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not seeing it. I did think that the specific way that you went about doing it was a little condescending and insulting, and that's why I mentioned that you must be incredibly qualified to be able to so easily dismiss the qualifications that you did know about (which doesn't describe the full depth of his background, but is a decent starting point at least). Maybe that's not how you meant it, and that's why I kept my response pretty light-hearted and all. So in that respect, I'm sorry that I didn't realize that you'd pitch a fit over someone flippantly answering your condescension. As I've said from the get-go, it's totally your call on how you choose to take Jay's knowledge. If you want to take it with a grain of salt, then I do find that pretty funny, but it is what it is.

Are we having the same conversation?
How do you not see your response to me asking hos background being that I need to accept it at face value when I cut and paste in you saying those exact words?

Condescending? How is 'what is Jays experience' condescending.

I would consider your response "it is significant and certainly qualifies him to speak on the subject" <SEE BELOW>> and that he knows more than everyone else combined to be incredibly condescending.

***The topic of the podcast was the week of an NFL coach and player, as well as specifically in detail what the schedule is, how much film they watch, including which film they chose, who watches it, how they adjust their schedule for short weeks, how the entirety of film review duties are delegated, the EXACT process of what an NFL MLB is thinking when he watches film, etc, etc.
If I listen to his responses, I would want to know howtrustworthy and valid the info is. For example, for him to be able to answer all of these questions accurately, he would have to have been an NFL player or coach, or some type of intern or employee actually doing the work (one of his reposnses detailed where, for how long the grunt rookie coaches watched film, what they ate and that they chewed tobacco, so he would have to be in the room or speak to someone who is) or be passing along information from someone who does that job, or else he is just a guy who knows terminology and is making up answers based on his guesses.
You seem to be taking it personally that I question whether he is qualified to explain these details, that someone who was not in the room or part of the process could. I assumed that the fact that you put him on your podcast as an expert meant that he did have such an intimate knowledge, and I was interested in knowing the depth of it.
The responses I have gotten tell me otherwise. It was kind of cute when the respnses where that he was too humble to brag, as if acting like you know more than everyone else combined' is more humble than stating why you may. However, since this has turned into villifying me for asking a question.....I have now been insulted twice and told 'what is jays experience' is condescending and being accused of 'pitching a fit'.

Lets just end it here.
You want to call Jay an expert. You either feel that playing college football makes him an expert on everything that goes on behind closed doors in Foxoboro or think that people should believe he knows it just because you say he must, or there is more to the story that you dont want to say.
I was not wrong to ask the basis for the guys opinion when you are putting him out there as an expert. I was also wrong to accept the equailvaent of "Trust me its a lot but i wont say, but he knws more than everyone else combined" as the answer. If this thread has turned negative from there its not my fault. You should have just said I'm not allowed to ask that question at the start.

I particularly didn't like Jay's digging response about people here posting in detail about things they only picked up on the internet. That sounded like a slap at Box and Pats1's breakdowns as well as Andy. They never claimed them to be more than observations based on years of watching games and following this team...under Belichick in particular.

I think we can safely discard this interpretation, given that Jay has participated in many of those threads in a capacity other than an obnoxious know-it-all.

Which again, unless Jay played for him in college, which he could not have, he would have no more insight into what goes on here than...a lot of folks...including some former NFL players who struggle to adequately grasp what transpires here... And I think that was the point Andy was attempting to make. I believe patsfanken is a former coach and while he has some interesting insight it's not always entirely relevant to the game at this level let alone under this HC and his schemes.

Fair point. Personally I tend to weigh posters with football experience a little more highly than the general average, as it saves them from particularly asinine assumptions on basic football principles. This board often mocks the perspective of the oppositional "fantasy football expert" and rightly so.

Are we having the same conversation?
How do you not see your response to me asking hos background being that I need to accept it at face value when I cut and paste in you saying those exact words?

Condescending? How is 'what is Jays experience' condescending.

I would consider your response "it is significant and certainly qualifies him to speak on the subject" <SEE BELOW>> and that he knows more than everyone else combined to be incredibly condescending.

***The topic of the podcast was the week of an NFL coach and player, as well as specifically in detail what the schedule is, how much film they watch, including which film they chose, who watches it, how they adjust their schedule for short weeks, how the entirety of film review duties are delegated, the EXACT process of what an NFL MLB is thinking when he watches film, etc, etc.
If I listen to his responses, I would want to know howtrustworthy and valid the info is. For example, for him to be able to answer all of these questions accurately, he would have to have been an NFL player or coach, or some type of intern or employee actually doing the work (one of his reposnses detailed where, for how long the grunt rookie coaches watched film, what they ate and that they chewed tobacco, so he would have to be in the room or speak to someone who is) or be passing along information from someone who does that job, or else he is just a guy who knows terminology and is making up answers based on his guesses.
You seem to be taking it personally that I question whether he is qualified to explain these details, that someone who was not in the room or part of the process could. I assumed that the fact that you put him on your podcast as an expert meant that he did have such an intimate knowledge, and I was interested in knowing the depth of it.
The responses I have gotten tell me otherwise. It was kind of cute when the respnses where that he was too humble to brag, as if acting like you know more than everyone else combined' is more humble than stating why you may. However, since this has turned into villifying me for asking a question.....I have now been insulted twice and told 'what is jays experience' is condescending and being accused of 'pitching a fit'.

Lets just end it here.
You want to call Jay an expert. You either feel that playing college football makes him an expert on everything that goes on behind closed doors in Foxoboro or think that people should believe he knows it just because you say he must, or there is more to the story that you dont want to say.
I was not wrong to ask the basis for the guys opinion when you are putting him out there as an expert. I was also wrong to accept the equailvaent of "Trust me its a lot but i wont say, but he knws more than everyone else combined" as the answer. If this thread has turned negative from there its not my fault. You should have just said I'm not allowed to ask that question at the start.

I agree that background and experience mean little about who's opinion is correct, especially since most of what is discussed is prediction based.
I asked about background because the topoc of the podcast was the inner workings of an NFL team, and I was curious where that knowledge was gained. This is factual information, and whether it is based on observation or educated guess is a big difference in its validity. It was portrayed as fact based and known through observation but no one appears to want to answer that question.

Still putting words in my mouth. I sincerely don't care what you do or don't believe. I brought him on the podcast to talk about this topic for a good reason, and it's not my place to say exactly what his qualifications are, and you can either take that at face value or not. We have a lot of listeners who enjoy the insight that he provides, and who regard his knowledge as being fairly self-evident; that's how Jay prefers it, so I respect that. If that's not good enough for you, then nobody's forcing you to listen.

Last edited:
Still putting words in my mouth. I sincerely don't care what you do or don't believe. I brought him on the podcast to talk about this topic for a good reason, and it's not my place to say exactly what his qualifications are, and you can either take that at face value or not. We have a lot of listeners who enjoy the insight that he provides, and who regard his knowledge as being fairly self-evident; that's how Jay prefers it, so I respect that. If that's not good enough for you, then nobody's forcing you to listen.
OK. I will accept that you put himm on your podcasts talking about the inner-workings iof the organizations but will ot answer the question of how he gained that information.
Just as an aside, you could research his comments about the workweek, when the gameplan is given to players, what their days off are, etc, because it has been revealed in press conferences by BB and I don't think you will find that you are offering a podcast that is 100% accurate.

That will be my last word in this thread (unless someone responds to my posts and I need to reply) because all I wanted to know was what the basis of the facts being discussed was, and how trustworthy I could consider it, and somehow that has turned into this debacle.

Perhaps next time someone asks you can just say "I'm sorry we don't discuss that"

Last edited by a moderator:
BradyFTW - I haven't had a chance to listen to the series yet, but I just want to say how awesome it is that you are putting these together. I'm really looking forward to getting these on the iPod and having a listen.

I have no interest in participating in the derail. But I did enjoy the podcast. As usual, good stuff.

BradyFTW - I haven't had a chance to listen to the series yet, but I just want to say how awesome it is that you are putting these together. I'm really looking forward to getting these on the iPod and having a listen.

No, it is not awesome, it is dangerous. His podcast is rife with educated guesses and outright speculation about the inner workings of the Pats organization! I've never heard of such irresponsible radio journalism. People need to wake up; who does BradyFTW really represent?

Good podcast, men.

Jay, your input is awesome always. I really look forward to the regular season where we can see more of your input in action.

Why is it called a podcast?

No, it is not awesome, it is dangerous. His podcast is rife with educated guesses and outright speculation about the inner workings of the Pats organization! I've never heard of such irresponsible radio journalism. People need to wake up; who does BradyFTW really represent?

By the by, good sir..... when are you going to be on one of these podcasts?

Anyone care to explain the Sean Payton/Jerry Jones story to me? :)

Anyone care to explain the Sean Payton/Jerry Jones story to me? :)

Peter King explained it in this MMQB. Pretty classic story, IMO, and definitely fits with what we know publicly (as limited as that is) about Payton's personality. Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
By the by, good sir..... when are you going to be on one of these podcasts?

unoriginal's one of my favorite posters here, definitely hoping that he'd be willing to come on at some point.

Great podcast again chaps - the nonsense on this thread is laughable

Big up to Jay = keep up the good work sir

Great podcast again chaps - the nonsense on this thread is laughable

Big up to Jay = keep up the good work sir

:ditto: Many thanks!

I had a busy week but spent a happy 45 minutes this morning relaxing and listening to this.

I think it was the best one yet -- I'll definitely have to listen again because there were some bits I didn't get (I don't think I understood the explanation of how the Rams were timing their offense off Faulk) and some that left me with further questions (what does it mean that teams put together a whole new playbook for a single game? what is the distinguishing feature of the "West Coast" offense that Jay identified?) Just the sort of thing I come here for!

I was bored so I did a Google for “Jay Shields”

Footballer (with the Berwick (Scottland) Rangers)

bachelor of biblical studies

Special Ed teacher

Dentist

March of Dimes Poster Child

USMC Second Lt

CEO only remaining Manufacturer of Wood-Framed camping cots

Piano and ORGAN mover

Drummer

Chicken Farmer

Podcaster (PeaPod??)

And my two favorites

Yatesboro (PA) history: Number 4 dam is famous for suicides - Jay Shields committed suicide at the dam, they found his hat on the cement.

Brooke SHIELDS on JAY Leno

HELLO - Earth to unoriginal - Its a friggin pod cast by a couple of fans. Get a life. It isn't "Face the Nation". Its a couple of fans sitting around talking with other fans about football. BTW and just how do their "educated guesses and outright speculation" differ from the "real journalists" like Felger, Sliver, Gresh, Tomasi and anyone NOT named Mike Reiss. :rolleyes:

Why can't we just take it for what its worth and enjoy it.....or not. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back