PatsCast Episode 6 (with Jay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We're back again for week 6, with Jay Shields walking us through the average week for an NFL player and coach, and what they're looking for when they're grinding through tape. As always, there's some great insight there, and I hope you all enjoy!

Posterous: PatsCast Episode 6
patscast.wordpress.com
Twitter: @PatsCast
Facebook Group: Pats Cast: A podcast about the New England Patriots
iTunes (free) subscription: Pats Cast

What is Jays background?

What is Jays background?
Former NFL head coach but seriously check out this post.
Not all that much man. Played middle linebacker, runningback, center, quarterback, and slot in my 13 years of playing. Had a few offers after college to pursue a career in the sport (not on-field), but turned them down because I have other passions. Such a career would have required 18 hour days, 7 days a week. I'm far too into fishing, business, and boats to dedicate those kinds of hours to a singular goal. I'm just your average dude who is fascinated by the game.

Last edited:
What is Jays background?

It's significant, and it makes him qualified to speak on this issue. He's refrained from bringing it up in detail, because it's not totally relevant (and frankly, it would just be bragging on his part), but I think his posts pretty much speak for themselves. The guys knows more than everyone else here combined, and that's not a coincidence.

Last edited:
It's significant, and it makes him qualified to speak on this issue. He's refrained from bringing it up in detail, because it's not totally relevant (and frankly, it would just be bragging on his part), but I think his posts pretty much speak for themselves. The guys knows more than everyone else here combined, and that's not a coincidence.

Actually I'm kind of confused. No disrespect intended, but if Jay is being portrayed as more knowledgable than everyone else here combined I would be curious how he became so knowledgable.
Why would his background be bragging? Its the basis of his credibility as the expert he is being touted as. The prior poster linked Jays own post about his background and he himself said its not that extensive that he just played the game thruogh college and considered a coaching type career but chose not to.

I downplay my background because I'm not a douchebag. Every website has that former player who thinks he can coach. That's not my style. I was very lucky to play as long as I did and it had nothing to do with athleticism. I could talk about how many players I know or what opportunities I declined, butthat's not me. My posts and what I know say all that I say. Like film, it's the truest barometer.

Unlike others, I don't post erroneous coverages, personnel packages, and schemes I learned off of the Internet. I learned what I know from practical experience in hopes of reasoned debate and intelligent discussion. I'm as much a fan as everyone else, it's just that when you actually know something, you tend to downplay it.

I don't sell myself as someone I'm not, I actually know what I'm talking about, and I have no need to impress people on the Internet. Listen to the podcast, man. You might learn something factual to regurgitate for once.

Actually I'm kind of confused. No disrespect intended, but if Jay is being portrayed as more knowledgable than everyone else here combined I would be curious how he became so knowledgable.
Why would his background be bragging? Its the basis of his credibility as the expert he is being touted as. The prior poster linked Jays own post about his background and he himself said its not that extensive that he just played the game thruogh college and considered a coaching type career but chose not to.

Not my place to say, but if you're not comfortable taking his knowledge at face value, then that's your call.

As far as 'just' playing through college and being recruited to be a professional coach... man, I guess that would make you Bill Belichick himself to be able to dismiss qualifications like that out of hand?

I downplay my background because I'm not a douchebag. Every website has that former player who thinks he can coach. That's not my style. I was very lucky to play as long as I did and it had nothing to do with athleticism. I could talk about how many players I know or what opportunities I declined, butthat's not me. My posts and what I know say all that I say. Like film, it's the truest barometer.

Unlike others, I don't post erroneous coverages, personnel packages, and schemes I learned off of the Internet. I learned what I know from practical experience in hopes of reasoned debate and intelligent discussion. I'm as much a fan as everyone else, it's just that when you actually know something, you tend to downplay it.

I don't sell myself as someone I'm not, I actually know what I'm talking about, and I have no need to impress people on the Internet. Listen to the podcast, man. You might learn something factual to regurgitate for once.

Are you insulting me because I asked what experience your opinions are based on?
I was curious what the basis of your knowledge is, since the post said you would be speaking about what the week of an NFL coach and player is made up of, I assumed that meant you had direct knowledge, so I wanted to know how extensive. Not quite sure how stating your football experinece maes you a douchebag, unless you use it as a reason you can beyond debate.

I played monster man in high school and red dogged half the defensive plays.

what decade did I play in?

heh...

as usual,great job you guys...I look forward to the segment every week

Not my place to say, but if you're not comfortable taking his knowledge at face value, then that's your call.

As far as 'just' playing through college and being recruited to be a professional coach... man, I guess that would make you Bill Belichick himself to be able to dismiss qualifications like that out of hand?

Am I not allowed to form my own opinion or ask a question?
Your post said that he was speaking about the typical week of an NFL player and coach. Wouldn't his background have a direct impact on the value of that information. In other words, if he is going to describe what an NFL player does, where did he get that info? I didn't think that was a bizarre question to ask. And this is the internet, so taking anything at face value is tricky.
Not sure what to make of your last comment as Bill Belichick is one of about 940,000 people who played thorugh college and considered coaching. I didn't realize that asking a quesiton about why everyone who played college football isnt an expet is insulting BB/
I'm sensing a very defensive posture to my very innocent question, and I don't know why.

Am I not allowed to form my own opinion or ask a question?
Your post said that he was speaking about the typical week of an NFL player and coach. Wouldn't his background have a direct impact on the value of that information. In other words, if he is going to describe what an NFL player does, where did he get that info? I didn't think that was a bizarre question to ask. And this is the internet, so taking anything at face value is tricky.
Not sure what to make of your last comment as Bill Belichick is one of about 940,000 people who played thorugh college and considered coaching. I didn't realize that asking a quesiton about why everyone who played college football isnt an expet is insulting BB/
I'm sensing a very defensive posture to my very innocent question, and I don't know why.

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say (or even insinuate) most of what you're suggesting. Like I said, if you're not willing to take his knowledge at face value, then that's totally your call. It's not my place to answer your question, but I do think that the knowledge speaks for itself.

Last edited:
OK, I listened to the podcast, and I think it answered my questions for me. Never mind.

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say (or even insinuate) most of what you're suggesting. Like I said, if you're not willing to take his knowledge at face value, then that's totally your call. Nobody's forcing you to listen.

I was respomding directly.
I asked his background, you chose to not describe it and tell me to take it at face value.
You said he had more knowledge than everyone else combined here and when I said his own post said he played college ball and never coached you compared that statement to dismissing BB.

You may not have INTENDED what you communicated but you certainly communicated what I responded to. I didn't put any words in your mouth.

In any event, I listened, and the backgeound question isnt really important to me any more. I/m not real interested in getting into an argument with you but your response was not correct.

Finally, I recognize no one is forcing me to listen. However you are 'markeitng' your podcast. and conveying an 'expert' guest. I'm still not sure how asking what the expertws background is caused so much angst.

I was respomding directly.
I asked his background, you chose to not describe it and tell me to take it at face value.
You said he had more knowledge than everyone else combined here and when I said his own post said he played college ball and never coached you compared that statement to dismissing BB.

You may not have INTENDED what you communicated but you certainly communicated what I responded to. I didn't put any words in your mouth.

In any event, I listened, and the backgeound question isnt really important to me any more. I/m not real interested in getting into an argument with you but your response was not correct.

Finally, I recognize no one is forcing me to listen. However you are 'markeitng' your podcast. and conveying an 'expert' guest. I'm still not sure how asking what the expertws background is caused so much angst.

Go ahead and point out where I told you to take anything at face value. My response as the same as it's always been: take as little or as much from it as you want, but that will require you to either take Jay's knowledge at face value or don't. If you choose not to, that's totally your call. As far as I can tell, the angst is all yours, and you're imagining some extreme response on my part that just isn't happening. I certainly hope that you'll give Jay a listen, because we could all stand to learn a thing or two from him, but it's no skin off my back if you don't.

Last edited:
Go ahead and point out where I told you to take anything at face value. My response as the same as it's always been: take as little or as much from it as you want, but that will require you to either take Jay's knowledge at face value or don't. If you choose not to, that's totally your call. As far as I can tell, the angst is all yours, and you're imagining some extreme response on my part that just isn't happening. I certainly hope that you'll give Jay a listen, because we could all stand to learn a thing or two from him, but it's no skin off my back if you don't.
You said

As I said. I listened. I heard about what I expected. I'm not here to mess up your podcast, I think I answered my own question which you did not want to.
I'm through with this topic unless you want to try to keep agitating with argumentative and aloof responses.

As far as I can tell, the angst is all yours, and you're imagining some extreme response on my part that just isn't happening. I certainly hope that you'll give Jay a listen, because we could all stand to learn a thing or two from him, but it's no skin off my back if you don't.

The response I am 'imagining' is that I asked a question that both you and he chose to answer rhetorically, and both of you have now used my asking a simple question such as "where did the expert you put on your podcast gain the knowledege to respond to your questions' turns into a reticence to answer and a thinly veiled shot at me from both of you.

Thats fine, you can do whatever you want. I was interested in listening to your podcast but wanted to know where the knopwledge base was coming from. If I am not allowed to know that, fine, I just will take it with some grains of salt.

You said

As I said. I listened. I heard about what I expected. I'm not here to mess up your podcast, I think I answered my own question which you did not want to.
I'm through with this topic unless you want to try to keep agitating with argumentative and aloof responses.

Still not seeing it. I did think that the specific way that you went about doing it was a little condescending and insulting, and that's why I mentioned that you must be incredibly qualified to be able to so easily dismiss the qualifications that you did know about (which doesn't describe the full depth of his background, but is a decent starting point at least). Maybe that's not how you meant it, and that's why I kept my response pretty light-hearted and all. So in that respect, I'm sorry that I didn't realize that you'd pitch a fit over someone flippantly answering your condescension. As I've said from the get-go, it's totally your call on how you choose to take Jay's knowledge. If you want to take it with a grain of salt, then I do find that pretty funny, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Ian should have that rule Bill has about checking egos at the door...

I've listened to and enjoyed the podcasts because Jay seems pretty generally knowledgeable and rational. That said, FTW is promoting him as something more than he is, a former college player who could have coached but chose not to. Who's to say there aren't a lot of those posting here. I particularly didn't like Jay's digging response about people here posting in detail about things they only picked up on the internet. That sounded like a slap at Box and Pats1's breakdowns as well as Andy. They never claimed them to be more than observations based on years of watching games and following this team...under Belichick in particular. Which again, unless Jay played for him in college, which he could not have, he would have no more insight into what goes on here than...a lot of folks...including some former NFL players who struggle to adequately grasp what transpires here... And I think that was the point Andy was attempting to make. I believe patsfanken is a former coach and while he has some interesting insight it's not always entirely relevant to the game at this level let alone under this HC and his schemes.

Ian should have that rule Bill has about checking egos at the door...

I've listened to and enjoyed the podcasts because Jay seems pretty generally knowledgeable and rational. That said, FTW is promoting him as something more than he is, a former college player who could have coached but chose not to. Who's to say there aren't a lot of those posting here. I particularly didn't like Jay's digging response about people here posting in detail about things they only picked up on the internet. That sounded like a slap at Box and Pats1's breakdowns as well as Andy. They never claimed them to be more than observations based on years of watching games and following this team...under Belichick in particular. Which again, unless Jay played for him in college, which he could not have, he would have no more insight into what goes on here than...a lot of folks...including some former NFL players who struggle to adequately grasp what transpires here... And I think that was the point Andy was attempting to make. I believe patsfanken is a former coach and while he has some interesting insight it's not always entirely relevant to the game at this level let alone under this HC and his schemes.

Not only a former High School HC for over a dozen years, but a player with 2 NFL training camps. :eek:

But all that being said, over the years, not only has the game changed and become more complex and professional, but the tools you had as a "real" insider to study the game, like overhead views of plays so you can see all 22 players aren't available to fans like us..... not to mention the enormous TIME commitment to break them down.

So regardless of what our past experiences are, NONE of us can lay ANY claim to some superior level of expertise. My opinion has no more validity than anyone else's. While I might come to an opinion based on a larger experience pool than most, but I'm no less susceptible of being totally wrong as anyone else.

That's the fun of message boards. We all are EQUAL in our ability to make ***es out of ourselves....and to do it on a regular basis :D

I enjoy the pod casts, and Jay's comments add to the casual fans' knowledge of the game and what goes on. Just as Andy, Box, Mo, and many others have over the years I have posted or lurked on this site. What someone's "background" is matters much less to me than the logic and effort he or she brings to their opinions.

Keep up the good work.....and pump up the volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes