PatsCast Episode 18 with Jay Shields

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Check it out @ our Patsfans blog

We called Jay up directly after the game, to get his insight on what happened and see if we couldn't have some tempered analysis injected into the inevitable overreaction. The general theme of what follows is that young players will play like young players, and some of the guys who might have looked alarming will be fine, while some of the guys who looked fine may have been showing some cause for concern. Topics include:

• McCourty: why he made the mistakes that he made, and what we can read into it
  • Brace: can he be an impact DE for us?
  • Chung: can he be the playmaker that we need in the middle
  • Vollmer: should we read anything into his struggles against Chris Long?
  • Gronkowski: is he even human?
Definitely give this one a listen; it contains some very specific observations from Jay that you simply won't get anywhere else.

Last edited:
About 8 minutes left now. It's one of the most informative podcasts I've ever heard. :D

About 8 minutes left now. It's one of the most informative podcasts I've ever heard. :D

Thanks! Jay was on a roll... good stuff, especially considering that this was something like 2AM EST.

Great listen. Good job guys.

Get Brady on there next ;p

This whole series has been awesome, thanks to everyone who has participated for taking the time to put these together as well as for all their insight and analysis. It's all very much appreciated.

Bump for those who missed this.

I liked everything I heard except the "cut McKenzie for his own good" stuff. I understand the roster issues but there's no way I want to cut McKenzie.

I liked everything I heard except the "cut McKenzie for his own good" stuff. I understand the roster issues but there's no way I want to cut McKenzie.

Definitely, I don't want that either, and neither did Jay, as I recall. I like the idea of having legit depth at SILB, but I think Jay was just pointing out that, if it becomes a pure numbers game, it could happen for McKenzie's benefit as much as anything. He could be an NFL starter right now with the right team.

I have to agree, If we can keep him I'd like to.

Thanks for the podcast.

As a bit of feedback....

I think Vollmer has a tendency to get high, and that's been going on from day one. He sometimes takes the easy way out by just straightening up quickly instead of gradually moving out of his crouch while keeping his knees bent as part of his technique when he steps back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey