PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats WR situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
First a list.

Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Washington, Martin, Lucian, Mitchell, Dobson, Harper (Slater will not be included).

The locks imo are Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell (4th rounders are usually locks)

My picks to make it

Martin - The Pats like him and he showed up making big plays late in the year. They extended him and really like him. I don't think the Pats want to let him go as he was able to make deep plays down the field.
Washington - If there is something there the Pats will keep him. I think there is something there and he can play the outside spot well. Something the Pats could use
Lucian - I didn't know a ton about him but he seems like the kind of guy that has a lot of upside and will and talent. I think he might be one of those low guys that players above his pick and demands to be carried cause you know he can't slip through waivers and you wanna keep him.

Amendola - I think he is gone at this point. The way the Pats went after WRs and a return man in this draft i think the contract talks are not working and the Pats are getting ready to just cut bait and save money which they need.
Dobson - Just a bust. It happens
Harper - Maybe on the PS again but we will see.

Having Lucien make the roster over Amendola and Washington makes little sense to be. If you think that Martin is good enough to beat out Amendola and Washington, then we'll carry four WR's.
First a list.

Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Washington, Martin, Lucian, Mitchell, Dobson, Harper (Slater will not be included).

The locks imo are Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell (4th rounders are usually locks)

My picks to make it

Martin - The Pats like him and he showed up making big plays late in the year. They extended him and really like him. I don't think the Pats want to let him go as he was able to make deep plays down the field.
Washington - If there is something there the Pats will keep him. I think there is something there and he can play the outside spot well. Something the Pats could use
Lucian - I didn't know a ton about him but he seems like the kind of guy that has a lot of upside and will and talent. I think he might be one of those low guys that players above his pick and demands to be carried cause you know he can't slip through waivers and you wanna keep him.

Amendola - I think he is gone at this point. The way the Pats went after WRs and a return man in this draft i think the contract talks are not working and the Pats are getting ready to just cut bait and save money which they need.
Dobson - Just a bust. It happens
Harper - Maybe on the PS again but we will see.

I am not writing Amendola off yet. I think he's here one more year. A 4th and 7th rounder aren't guaranteed anything. Dobson is gone and Harper and Washington have a longer road to make the roster.

Having Lucien make the roster over Amendola and Washington makes little sense to be. If you think that Martin is good enough to beat out Amendola and Washington, then we'll carry four WR's.

I having Washington making the roster and I don't think Lucian or Martin are "making it over" Amendola really. I think Amendola is cut due to the cap entirely. If it was about pure ability you keep Amendola but i think the Pats are thinking about letting him go and a lot of things in the draft are there to cover his release.

Not sure about all the roster spots, but I think the eventual week 1 WR trio will be Edelman, Hogan, and Mitchell

Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell the locks... The rest will play out in camp. If Martin, Harper or Lucien show enough and can play the slot well enough, Amendola MAY be gone. Washington and Dobson can also carve out a role for themselves on the outside, but will need to work for it.

I apologize. I didn't notice that you had SIX wide receivers making the team. Your suggestion is even more unlikely than I first thought.

I having Washington making the roster and I don't think Lucian or Martin are "making it over" Amendola really. I think Amendola is cut due to the cap entirely. If it was about pure ability you keep Amendola but i think the Pats are thinking about letting him go and a lot of things in the draft are there to cover his release.

Should be a very competitive position during camp. The big question will be Amendola and his contract situation. Obviously, if they can work out a number, he is a lock and we are at 4 locks.( Edleman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell). One thing that is apparent though.... Dobson's days on this team seem to be over.

Should be a very competitive position during camp. The big question will be Amendola and his contract situation. Obviously, if they can work out a number, he is a lock and we are at 4 locks.( Edleman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell). One thing that is apparent though.... Dobson's days on this team seem to be over.

If Amendola restructures, the competition will be for reps. I'm not sure that we're keeping more than 4 WR's, given our TE situation, and the fact that we'll have 3 QB's on the roster.

Belichick paid Martin a $600K bonus. At this point, I guess that this is an insurance policy, as is the signing of Washington.

I don't think we are going to know which WR is a lock until halfway through preseason.

Dobson is still the fastest receiver on the team and may be able to contribute injury free. We'll see I guess.

I am not writing Amendola off yet. I think he's here one more year. A 4th and 7th rounder aren't guaranteed anything. Dobson is gone and Harper and Washington have a longer road to make the roster.
Under Belichick, 100% of the 4th rounders have made the 53, so yes we have a reason to believe that a 4th pick will make the team.

Edelman
Hogan
Amendola
Washington
Martin
Mitchell

That's our WRs. If that's not the case Week 1 I pledge to clear my ignore list, vote for Hillary, delete my patsfans.com account and restart the Goodell fan club.

Edelman
Hogan
Amendola
Washington
Martin
Mitchell

That's our WRs. If that's not the case Week 1 I pledge to clear my ignore list, vote for Hillary, delete my patsfans.com account and restart the Goodell fan club.
Make you plans. This team will NOT have 6 WR's on the 53 man squad.

Under Belichick, 100% of the 4th rounders have made the 53, so yes we have a reason to believe that a 4th pick will make the team.

Sorry, I meant if Mitchell was struggling with his injury at the senior bowl, if he doesn't show well in camp, he could be put on IR. I don't expect him to be cut at all. I expect him on the team over ir, as well, but just saying...

Edelman
Hogan
Amendola
Washington
Martin
Mitchell

Why would you need to clear you ignore list if you're deleting the account?

Sorry, I meant if Mitchell was struggling with his injury at the senior bowl, if he doesn't show well in camp, he could be put on IR. I don't expect him to be cut at all. I expect him on the team over ir, as well, but just saying...

Please tell me the last rookie who spent his entire rookie year on IR and ended up being a major contributor.

Please tell me the last rookie who spent his entire rookie year on IR and ended up being a major contributor.
Ben VaReene wasn't on IR but, he didn't play much.

I didn't guarantee his success, either. I don't think he'll be cut, but if he has a poor camp showing and his competition beats him out, they may hide him on Ir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back