Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

September 26, 2006
4 workouts

The Patriots worked out defensive backs Ray Mickens, Hank Poteat and Raymond Walls on Tuesday, and also looked at quarterback Vinny Testaverde.

While Testaverde is the most distinguished name of the group, he was likely brought in as part of the team's regular routine of updating its emergency lists.

The defensive backs, on the other hand, might address a more immediate need with Eugene Wilson not finishing Sunday's game and Artrell Hawkins (thigh) having missed the last two contests.

Mickens is a 10-year veteran who has played for the Jets and Browns, while Poteat has played in 15 games (including playoffs) with the Patriots over the last two seasons. Walls has been with four different clubs over the last five seasons.

Those workouts come one week after the Patriots worked out defensive backs Lance Schulters, Brent Alexander and Keion Carpenter.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 11:59:51 PM

Hank!

Reiss adds 2 more names to toss around.

Last edited:
See. Things are looking up already! BOO, naysayers, BOO! ;)

One thing I'll say for Poteat is that I've never seen him miss a tackle when he was one on one while in a Pats uniform. Attribute it to him facing the 3rd or 4th best WR, or whatever you will, but Hank can tackle. He might blow coverages or assignments that I can't tell on TV, but I've seen him make SEVERAL big stops on short yardage when he was the only guy that could make a play. That's more than we've come to expect from some of our other DBs.

Hank may just be small and slow. He definitely does not lack heart. He's made a few notable plays and will stick his head in there in run support.

The problem with signing any of these guys is that it's a steep learning curve to become effective and, of the guys on that list, only Poteat and Mickens have experience in the system. I'm surprised that Schulters hasn't caught on somewhere. Is he recovering from an injury?

I had a feeling Hank would be back, i just didn't think it would be this soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes