PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats workout Charles Rogers, Kevin Johnson and Jabar Gaffney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BradyManny2344 said:
BB and Pioli wouldn't have worked him out if they didn't think they could use him. Most people said they'd never even look at him and never even think about working him out.

I seem to recall many posters saying that we should trade a day 1 pick for him. That was in the spring.

Then in the summer when it was obvious he was going to get cut, many posters wanted to trade for him because there is no way he would clear waivers and we would never get a shot at him.

dhamz said:
I seem to recall many posters saying that we should trade a day 1 pick for him. That was in the spring.

Then in the summer when it was obvious he was going to get cut, many posters wanted to trade for him because there is no way he would clear waivers and we would never get a shot at him.

yeah, but even more posters see that this guy has major character issues.
like I said though, the pats already know that, so the fact that they brought him in....

Keegs said:
excellent point.

Not really. While they likely have lots of information on the player from league contact and media sources they would be remiss not to take the time to see and hear him with their own eyes.

I tend to agree with mg's hypothesis that we are assessing everything that is available and breathing on the FA market before we decide whether to persue a trade which could involve either picks or a player or both or just hang tough in the hope somebody we would want shakes loose. We brought in multiple QB's two weeks ago and I doubt BB felt he could use any of them. Have interviewed almost every DB cut to date without pulling the trigger until Iwouma popped up. Just updating the Rolodex as often as not to eliminate players from further discussion or contention as to establish they have any potential usefulness on this team.

MoLewisrocks said:
Not really. While they likely have lots of information on the player from league contact and media sources they would be remiss not to take the time to see and hear him with their own eyes.

I tend to agree with mg's hypothesis that we are assessing everything that is available and breathing on the FA market before we decide whether to persue a trade which could involve either picks or a player or both or just hang tough in the hope somebody we would want shakes loose. We brought in multiple QB's two weeks ago and I doubt BB felt he could use any of them. Have interviewed almost every DB cut to date without pulling the trigger until Iwouma popped up. Just updating the Rolodex as often as not to eliminate players from further discussion or contention as to establish they have any potential usefulness on this team.

good points, all. I also agree with the poster who said David Patten would make the ideal acquisition. I still remember reading BB hugged him after the washington pre-season game.

MoLewisrocks said:

well then i guess my opinion is wrong :singing:

just kidding.

SamBam39 said:
the dolphins and another team brought him in as well and they both passed on him so it's questionable what this all means. the phins are known for taking risks on talented players with problems such as david boston, so if they passed, there's still gotta be things people are seeing that they don't like.

My understanding is that the phins passed b/c he was still hurt/out of shape. They told him to get healthier and get back to them.

patsox23 said:
My understanding is that the phins passed b/c he was still hurt/out of shape. They told him to get healthier and get back to them.

really?

hurt and out of shape?

I thought he had completely recovered from his injured collarbone and wasn't aware of any other injuries. I thought that was said when he was released - that he wasn't hurt?

also, in the interview last night they showed him working out and he said he was keeping in shape.

so while I don't doubt that's what you heard, it seems weird to me.
maybe the phins just wan't him to get in better shape.

MoLewisrocks said:

The Pats are not going to waste time working out a player they have no intentions of potentially signing in the middle of the season when they have a game to worry about.

I think people are simply having trouble dealing with the fact that once again people are mistaken when they think BB only looks at so called "Patriot type players". It turns out Belichick is far less concerned about a player's perceived attitude than the average poster is. Belichick only cares about one thing - "will this guy help the team or not", and takes everything into consideration. This was proven with the Dillon trade, and only recently has revisionist history led to the crazy notion that Dillon did not have a perceived attitude problem before coming to the Pats. The bottom line is, if Belichick and Pioli think Charles Rogers can help the team, they will sign him. If they don't, they won't, but they aren't going to let two collarbone injuries and an affection for marijuana scare them off of a guy with a huge upside that they can basically get for free and let go of if at any point in time shows the same immaturity he has shown in his first 3 seasons.

Last edited:
I would say Kevin Johnson and then Jabar Gaffney and Charles Rogers being the last option of the three but I can recall reading something here that the Pats were very interested in Kevin Johnson the only thing that was holding up
things was that he was injured at the time.

BradyManny2344 said:
The Pats are not going to waste time working out a player they have no intentions of potentially signing in the middle of the season when they have a game to worry about.

I think people are simply having trouble dealing with the fact that once again people are mistaken when they think BB only looks at so called "Patriot type players". It turns out Belichick is far less concerned about a player's perceived attitude than the average poster is. Belichick only cares about one thing - "will this guy help the team or not", and takes everything into consideration. This was proven with the Dillon trade, and only recently has revisionist history led to the crazy notion that Dillon did not have a perceived attitude problem before coming to the Pats. The bottom line is, if Belichick and Pioli think Charles Rogers can help the team, they will sign him. If they don't, they won't, but they aren't going to let two collarbone injuries and an affection for marijuana scare them off of a guy with a huge upside that they can basically get for free and let go of if at any point in time shows the same immaturity he has shown in his first 3 seasons.

Simply put, your wrong.
The pats organization is on record as stating they only want players that fit the patriots mold. They will not sign players they think could be problems. That doesn't mean they won't consider players who they think they might be able to change or aren't that bad, but they definately won't sign 'anybody as long as they can help'.
that said, we can't rule out rogers, since they're looking at him. it's gotta be tempting. he's so young. so talented. and comes so cheap. but he definately has a horrible attitude and is very immature.
we'll see I guess.

BradyManny2344 said:
BB and Pioli wouldn't have worked him out if they didn't think they could use him. Most people said they'd never even look at him and never even think about working him out.

That isn't necessarily true. BB and Pioli could have worked Rogers out to see whether or not all the rumors were true. Much like the interview they had with Dillon prior to their trading for Dillon.

Its called an evaluation interview. Something they probably didn't do back in 2003 because the Pats weren't in a position to draft Rogers.

SamBam39 said:
Simply put, your wrong.

No, "your" wrong. Like I said, the Pats will take any player which can help the team whether or not they are perceived as being a "problem." If the Pats decide that the perception is reality, well then obviously, a player who is a problem does not help the team. But the Patriots and BB have a much more open mind than the average fan who lazily labels players as "non Patriot players" to the point where our roster couldn't be filled with 53 players by their strict definitions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back