PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats working out TE Kellen Winslow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way, this is some fine comedy stuff... gotta love it.

also not sure where you are getting that he was a beast his first two seasons out of college because he only played in two games.

sorry, I meant his second and third seasons out of college. You're right though he's been nowhere near as bad as I thought the last few seasons. He doesn't seem to be in very high demand though, but maybe that's just as teams' #1 option.

Just following up on my earlier post, how does one defend against

Gronk
Hernandez
Fells
Schiancoe
Winslow

if they're all on the field at the same time?

Personally, with that formation I would probably load up on safeties, coverage linebackers, and my bigger corners. I'd play it pass all the way and say, if you want to run the ball with Hernandez that's fine.

Of course, that's not to say those players would be too effective at stopping those players as receivers either, but I could at least rule out the run.

As an OC, I personally would rather replace one of Fells or Shiancoe with Ridley. Then you have a legit (quasi) running threat behind those big TE bodies.

I would sign him for one game just so we can get as many jokes about the Solider lining up next to Solder as possible.

I would sign him for one game just so we can get as many jokes about the Solider lining up next to Solder as possible.

That or sign all the Gronkowski brothers... ;)

Last edited:
His knees are shot.

Now I can't get this song out of my mind:

I don't want a pickle
Just want to ride on my motorcycle
And I don't want a tickle
'Cause I'd rather ride on my motorcycle
And I don't want to die
Just want to ride on my motorcycle

It depends on what you mean by better, I guess. I was asking the question based on the size and position of the players out there, not based on best 5. I really was curious as to how teams would try stopping that personnel grouping. If I were going best 5, though, Fells wouldn't be in the group.

If you are lining up Gronk and Ahern as wideouts then I would use two CBs with a safety also on Gronk. Standard D on the rest.

But the thing he doesn't suck. Since 2006 he has had at least 65 rec, 700 yards receiving and played in all 16 games every season but one season when he had a staph infection.

And he did that with crappy QBs.

Personally, with that formation I would probably load up on safeties, coverage linebackers, and my bigger corners. I'd play it pass all the way and say, if you want to run the ball with Hernandez that's fine...

If you are lining up Gronk and Ahern as wideouts then I would use two CBs with a safety also on Gronk. Standard D on the rest.

Interesting. Would either of you drop a D-lineman in favor of an extra LB or S, going with something like the Patriots current '4-3'?

Gronk
Hernandez
Fells
Schiancoe
Winslow

Duh! There isn't room on the field for them all at the same time

sorry, I meant his second and third seasons out of college. You're right though he's been nowhere near as bad as I thought the last few seasons. He doesn't seem to be in very high demand though, but maybe that's just as teams' #1 option.

His attitude seems to be the biggest issue with Winslow, from what I have been reading.

Interesting. Would either of you drop a D-lineman in favor of an extra LB or S, going with something like the Patriots current '4-3'?

If I have a horse who can run that sure. Otherwise I think you'd also be helped by the lack of speed on offense. Hernandez and Winslow are fast for TE's, but overall you could play your safeties bunched up a little closer to the line without fear of the top coming off.

Duh! There isn't room on the field for them all at the same time

Why not? If you have two at the TE position, two (three) at the receiver position, and possibly one at the RB position.

4 TEs... have them all play pass protection.. unblocked or beaten.. they get the ball ;)

Gronk
Hernandez
Fells
Schiancoe
Winslow

Have 5 TEs ever been on the field, at the same time, for the same team, in the NFL?

It'd be the weirdest package in recent football history, that's for sure.

Winslow may be past his prime but he was once one of the better TE's in the league, and he actually had a strong 2011 season on a bad team. We'd essentially have 3 of the best pass catching TE's in the league, and 2 strong run blockers on the field at the same time, one of those pass catching TEs is also no stranger to line up in the backfield since the end of last season either.

Do you play run or pass? Does it matter? I think a 5 TE formation with the types of tight ends on our roster might be a stronger formation than something like welker-lloyd-gronk-hernandez-fells because it is harder to get a read on what the offense will do, despite obviously having 2 lesser talented players.

TE screen with 2 linemen and 4 TE's leading the way lol.

Schianco and Fells on the right, Gronk out of the backfield (he gets the ball, hardest to bring down), Hernandez and Winslow on the left, they use their speed to get to the right side of the field to pick up blocking after Fells, Schianco, and the OL clear the way into the defensive backfield.

Last edited:

Kind of hard to say. If I was DAL I'd stand pat with my basic 4-3. If I was NYJ I'd swap a LBer and rush 6.

If I have a horse who can run that sure. Otherwise I think you'd also be helped by the lack of speed on offense. Hernandez and Winslow are fast for TE's, but overall you could play your safeties bunched up a little closer to the line without fear of the top coming off.

Then you need 1 legitimate outside threat to make them stay honest.

Yup! and anybody else with there last name ending in TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes