PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats work out linebackers Orlando Ruff and Chris Claiborne

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Biesal will be better this year,but I'd like to see the pats at least try these guys out, you never know,plus at least one of them could add depth.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Do you mean posters that thought we were very weak at LB?

If that wasn't true why would the team be auditioning players this late in preseason?

My God, the voice of reason.

I applaud your realism. Being realistic is so much more interesting than walking around and pretending the likes of Don Davis and Larry Izzo can be All-Pros if someone goes down and they're called into action.

SoonerPatriot said:
I applaud your realism. Being realistic is so much more interesting than walking around and pretending the likes of Don Davis and Larry Izzo can be All-Pros if someone goes down and they're called into action.

Who here is pretending that is likely, or even a possibility?

SoonerPatriot said:
What LB have we lost since FA started ? Bruschi for the start of the season, that's it. How many LB did Belichick draft or sign in FA ? None other than small names. The conclusion ? Belichick is reasonably comfortable with what we have. Either that or Belichick suddenly became stupid.

Why are they looking at the likes of Ruff and Claiborne ? Maybe a little due to the short term injuries to Bruschi and Brown. But, also, they look at guys all the time.

We'd all love Claiborne to come in b/c of his draft history and the fact that we KNOW HIS NAME. We also all harbor ill-will against Monty Beisel b/c he was bad last year. I say we trust BB to know which players are a FIT for his system. BB and Pees both say that Beisel has improved - I'm pretty sure they know better than we do.

If Claiborne isn't a good fit, the fact that some fans will feel better for a week or two shouldn't figure into BB's personnel decision making.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
What LB have we lost since FA started ? Bruschi for the start of the season, that's it. How many LB did Belichick draft or sign in FA ? None other than small names. The conclusion ? Belichick is reasonably comfortable with what we have. Either that or Belichick suddenly became stupid.

Why are they looking at the likes of Ruff and Claiborne ? Maybe a little due to the short term injuries to Bruschi and Brown. But, also, they look at guys all the time.

Exactly what I mean. Bruschi is out for the time being. We need more bodies. So in effect, there is, at least for the moment, a weakness at the position. Thus the decision to bring these guys in.

SoonerPatriot said:
My God, the voice of reason.

Not that anyone ever said that. What people have said is that they have proven to be valuable components of superbowl-winning teams. Still, you an I have a different definition of voice of reason.

Mine is not that Davis, Izzo or anyone else will be All-Pro. Saying that is dumb. But it is just as dumb to say that they cannot compete and paly on an NFL team at the NFL level, which they have proven they can, have proven it for years.

For me the voice of reason and reality is that there are no guarantees, that even with every player you want, you are not guaranteed a shot at the playoffs. Also, my voice of reason says that players who have played before and gotten the job done will continue to do so, and further, that players step up when given the chance. This has been shown time and again. Why is it unreasonable to expect things to change this time?

My reality and voice of reason also say the replacing Beisel will not make a difference. Think about it.

We had Beisel last year and got into the playoffs. Something wrong with that?Why is it the voice of reason that now that he has experience in the system he will be the reason we DON'T make the playoffs.

There were several reason why we lost in Denver, and Beisel in not at the top of the list. He helped get us into the palyoffs, and is not the reason we got ousted. He is not Bruschi, but let's at least accept that last year we got into the palyoffs with him and his level has improved accodign to BB.

Don Davis and Larry Izzo are not my choice either as first stringers, but as backups they were key parts of two and three superbowls, respectively, and as good as other team's backups. Better, perhaps, as they have shown they can do it.

Maybe it is the voice of reason to call people homers when they remind people of what really happened in the past, and the voice of reality to say that what got us three superbowl wins will not work any more, but it isn't mine.

You are welcome to your opinion, but to call it not an opinion but reality or the voice of reason is in my opinion unrealisty and unreasonable.

That's muy opinion. So there.

BelichickFan said:

Claiborne was pretty good with the Lions,I don't know what happened there,but I think he's worth a try. Again what do we have to lose.

THEARCHIVES said:
Claiborne would be a nice addition. Former first round pick who has the body to play inside LB. Only 28!

Does anybody know how it came to this for Claiborne? He looked like he was going to have an excellent career early on...I know there were some injury issues, is there any more to the story?

I am a broken record on this issue. How can it hurt to bring in Clayborne to fight with Gardner and Alexander for roster spots. The issue isn't about starting; it is about improving the roster. Could Clayborne make the 53? If the answer is even "maybe", then we should bring him into camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, if they both go for the minimum bring them both in for camp if they want to come. With 13-15 mil under the cap it couldn't hurt right?

reflexblue said:
Claiborne was pretty good with the Lions,I don't know what happened there,but I think he's worth a try. Again what do we have to lose.
What do we have to lose?

- "Patriots" defensive system experience.
- A slot on the 53-man roster, do we cut a younger unproven LB or do we cut from another position?
- Team chemistry.

Speaking of damning with faint praise: "was pretty good with the Lions." Sorry blue, that's a caution flag for any personnel man. :D

RayClay amongst others have asked this, and while BBF had the answer, I'll repeat it for the folks who only read odd-numbered words: Pioli brings guys in for testing just about every week of the year. The largest portion of his shadow roster are players who have never practised a down for the Pats sitting in a rolodex (or electronic equivalent) on his desk. Those of us who party on the Hank Poteat bandwagon are true believers in the shadow roster's poteatancy. Mike Reiss is one of the best at tracking who the Patriots workout and he barely scratches the surface. Clairborne and Ruff are candidates for the one remaining roster spot, they also are candidates to bring in at the end of September, or November, or the first week of January when the injury toll creates an opening for a veteran player. If one of them is in camp Monday, well and good, the more time they can practice with the team the better they can hope to be. We also need to remember that they don't have to be ILB despite Mike's specualtion. They're size fits the OLB description too. It would make more sense in terms of training time to use Vrabel inside and bring in a veteran to backstop Banta-Cain.

For those whom whole-heartedly subscribe to spacecrime's tongue-in-cheek prophecy, enjoy yourselves, just think how wonderful it could be to be right!

Box_O_Rocks said:
What do we have to lose?

- A slot on the 53-man roster, do we cut a younger unproven LB or do we cut from another position?
- Team chemistry.

Speaking of damning with faint praise: "was pretty good with the Lions." Sorry blue, that's a caution flag for any personnel man. :D

RayClay amongst others have asked this, and while BBF had the answer, I'll repeat it for the folks who only read odd-numbered words: Pioli brings guys in for testing just about every week of the year. The largest portion of his shadow roster are players who have never practised a down for the Pats sitting in a rolodex (or electronic equivalent) on his desk. Those of us who party on the Hank Poteat bandwagon are true believers in the shadow roster's poteatancy. Mike Reiss is one of the best at tracking who the Patriots workout and he barely scratches the surface. Clairborne and Ruff are candidates for the one remaining roster spot, they also are candidates to bring in at the end of September, or November, or the first week of January when the injury toll creates an opening for a veteran player. If one of them is in camp Monday, well and good, the more time they can practice with the team the better they can hope to be. We also need to remember that they don't have to be ILB despite Mike's specualtion. They're size fits the OLB description too. It would make more sense in terms of training time to use Vrabel inside and bring in a veteran to backstop Banta-Cain.

For those whom whole-heartedly subscribe to spacecrime's tongue-in-cheek prophecy, enjoy yourselves, just think how wonderful it could be to be right!

:yeahthat: Well done, Box.

That's if you suscribe to the fact that the Gardner's and Roach's of the world would be a better use of a roster spot.

Box_O_Rocks said:
What do we have to lose?

- Team chemistry.

Everything you say is true.

To make my position clear, they need an inside linebacker with Bruschi out.

Simple as that.

Good point Box O'. I realize they try out players constantly, including all during the season.

Probably should have said looking at 2 250 LB. linebackers late in the pre season.

Although I'm not sure, it seems if the need isn't there they might be busy evaluating the excess players they might have to cut this time of year.

Excellent post that nevertheless, doesn't invalidate the basic point in my previous post. (In my humble opinion).

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Everything you say is true.

To make my position clear, they need an inside linebacker with Bruschi out.

Simple as that.
No worries mate! We got our pick of Gardner, Davis, Roach, Vrabel, Mays, Alexander, Izzo and who knows who else on Pees' depth chart. What makes this an even better deal, Pees is holding a dress rehearsal tonight on national TV, we get to watch and drink beer! Too wonderful for words! By Monday we may get a chance to see if they'll be holding another cattle call or if they saw enough execution in the dress rehearsal to focus special effort on one or more of the candidates. With three more dress rehearsals to go and a slightly larger emergency budget set aside, I'm thinking that Bruschi guy can take his time.

:eat3: Mud in your eye!

Box_O_Rocks said:
No worries mate! We got our pick of Gardner, Davis, Roach, Vrabel, Mays, Alexander, Izzo and who knows who else on Pees' depth chart. What makes this an even better deal, Pees is holding a dress rehearsal tonight on national TV, we get to watch and drink beer! Too wonderful for words! By Monday we may get a chance to see if they'll be holding another cattle call or if they saw enough execution in the dress rehearsal to focus special effort on one or more of the candidates. With three more dress rehearsals to go and a slightly larger emergency budget set aside, I'm thinking that Bruschi guy can take his time.

:eat3: Mud in your eye!

Hey, I mainline Koolaid, but Confuscius say chain only as strong as weakest link. Gardner, Davis, Beisel?

I'd love to see a guy like Gardner blossom. That's the best of BB/SP.

Between starters and backups I see a lot of jobs and little resumes.

Put a fork in me, I'm done.

Kick the damn ball!!!!!

Box_O_Rocks said:
What do we have to lose?

Clairborne and Ruff are candidates for the one remaining roster spot, they also are candidates to bring in at the end of September, or November, or the first week of January when the injury toll creates an opening for a veteran player. If one of them is in camp Monday, well and good, the more time they can practice with the team the better they can hope to be.

Box, put these two together and I think you end up with an argument for bringing another vet into camp. A midseason injury replacement at RB is one thing, at LB quite another. A guy who's at least had a TC in the Pats defense is vastly more valuable later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back