Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
August 11, 2006
LB workouts
The Patriots had free-agent linebackers Orlando Ruff and Chris Claiborne in for workouts at Gillette Stadium within the past few weeks.

The workouts could simply mean the team was seeking more information to update its list of available players. The workouts could also indicate potential interest in signing either player, as the Patriots are without starter Tedy Bruschi (broken wrist) for the preseason.

The 28-year-old Claiborne has played seven seasons with three teams –- the Lions (1999-2002), Vikings (2003-2004) and Rams (2005). At 6-foot-3, 255 pounds, he would project as an inside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 defense. Claiborne has experience at the weakside, strongside and middle linebacker spots over his career, although his experience in a 3-4 scheme appears to be limited. He started seven games for the Rams last season, and was limited by injuries.

Ruff, at 6-foot-3, 253 pounds, has a similar physical makeup as Claiborne, and would also project as an inside linebacker. He’s played seven seasons, with the Chargers (1999-2002), Saints (2003-2004) and Browns (2005). Ruff played under former Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel last year (16 games, no starts), so he would come with some knowledge of the Patriots’ 3-4 system.

Ruff and Claiborne are part of a free-agent crop of linebackers that includes Jeff Posey, Jamie Sharper, Rocky Calmus, Ron McKinnon and Earl Holmes, among others.

Don't know much about either guy, but Ruff sounds intriguing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know Claiborne was a FA. It's too bad, he, like Gardner, seemed like he should have been a long time starter in the league instead of hanging on. I'm hoping to see something out of Gardner tonight.

Claibornes bests...120 tackles, 5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 3 INT's...I like that.

To all the "we're doomed" posters and worry warts, this is another example of BB/SP always working to put the best team on the field.

Neither one of these guys could be signed but the roster will continue to evolve over the next 4 weeks.

PATSNUTme said:
To all the "we're doomed" posters and worry warts, this is another example of BB/SP always working to put the best team on the field.

Neither one of these guys could be signed but the roster will continue to evolve over the next 4 weeks.

Do you mean posters that thought we were very weak at LB?

If that wasn't true why would the team be auditioning players this late in preseason?

RayClay said:

If that wasn't true why would the team be auditioning players this late in preseason?

its not like there not dealing with it is what he was saying

RayClay said:

We're not weak at LB. We're just not deep. How many teams in the league have more than 3 or 4 quality LBs on their roster?

Answer: not many.

I don't think it's surprising that they'd try to get the best players on the roster prior to the season opener.

PATSNUTme said:

I love our management as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure you can laud them for simply bringing guys in for a workout. Pretty sure every team is doing this throughout August.

I'm just glad to see they are not turning a blind eye to total lack of depth/experience behind the starters.

JackBauer said:
We're not weak at LB. We're just not deep. How many teams in the league have more than 3 or 4 quality LBs on their roster?

Answer: not many.

I don't think it's surprising that they'd try to get the best players on the roster prior to the season opener.

Well we have to start 4 in our offense. I'm not sure we have 4 NFL quality starters, that's my point.

Without Bruschi last year we had Vrabel, Colvin and McGinest and we stunk.

Subtract McGinest.

If you're satisfied that Gardner and Davis can stop us from being run over up the gut, you have more confidence than I.

tombonneau said:
I love our management as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure you can laud them for simply bringing guys in for a workout. Pretty sure every team is doing this throughout August.

I'm just glad to see they are not turning a blind eye to total lack of depth/experience behind the starters.

Actually, I hope you're wrong. I think most teams are looking to cut rather than add this time of year.

I do respect and admire BB and SP and hope they are looking to pick up bargains.

I know it's about more than resumes but damn it's hard to believe some of these guys couldn't help our depth or even start.

Without Bruschi your in denial if you think we can hold the fort at ILB with current personnel.

RayClay said:

No, if someone thinks we are "weak" at LB that an opinion. I don't share that opinion but it's their opinion.

I'm talking about the many post of the 'sky is falling" before we play one pre-season game. It's just not LB but the sky has been falling over our WR's, our DB's, our Kickers and who knows what else. And, the question is always, what are they doing about it???? As if they are doing nothing.

I'm saying that there is a long way to go before the season starts and BB/SP will be making changes,via FA's or trades. But, the sky will continue to fall with these people right up to the day we win another SB.

I want Claiborne BADLY. He is five times the player that Beisel is, and he is still young. Vrabel/Bruschi/Claiborne/Colvin with Beisel, Mincey, Gardner, Davis, and Banta-Cain backing up would be nice.

i think that Claiborne has been partially a disappointment in the Nfl

but probably, if he will join us, he will have another opportunity

i agree with Ray Clay anyway as i am a little bit concerned too (at the moment) about our lb situation

but, as correctly Patsnutme mentioned, we are in good hands with BB and SP at the helm and i am not worried at all when we will play for real (so: in 1 month not today in pre-season)

Go Pats !!!

Claiborne has been a disappointment. All the talent, but I don't know if he's got the mental aspect of the game down.

PATSNUTme said:
Sure, easy for you to say.

BB puts his best players on the field, and then the airplane carrying Claiborne into Boston loses an engine over Gillette and the falling parts injure the entire team.

Look, it's bad enough that BB is so stupid he can't see what we can see clearly, and will not even read this pages to see how numb he is and make the necessary changes we point out, but why isn't he doing something to ensure planes carrying future team members not fly over Gillette. Just another example of his shortsightedness and failure to be prepared.

We're doomed.

DefenseRules said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Don't know much about either guy, but Ruff sounds intriguing.
Can't immagine that Ruff,or Claiborne wouldn't be an upgrade over Monty in the middle.At least give one of them a shot what can we lose? Over the years I've never undestood why BB won't bring in someone who might potentialy help.They can always be cut,the risk is minimal.

spacecrime said:
Sure, easy for you to say.

BB puts his best players on the field, and then the airplane carrying Claiborne into Boston loses an engine over Gillette and the falling parts injure the entire team.

Look, it's bad enough that BB is so stupid he can't see what we can see clearly, and will not even read this pages to see how numb he is and make the necessary changes we point out, but why isn't he doing something to ensure planes carrying future team members not fly over Gillette. Just another example of his shortsightedness and failure to be prepared.

We're doomed.

Now that you put it that way:scared:

reflexblue said:
Can't immagine that Ruff,or Claiborne wouldn't be an upgrade over Monty in the middle.At least give one of them a shot what can we lose? Over the years I've never undestood why BB won't bring in someone who might potentialy help.They can always be cut,the risk is minimal.

Nobody seems ready to give Beisel a break. Sure, early on last year he sucked - but the entire 'D' did and he was new to the system. He really was playing decent ball by years end and I think he will play at a VERY high level this year. Sure, we still need to add a LB or two given Bruschi & Brown injuries.

PATSNUTme said:
No, if someone thinks we are "weak" at LB that an opinion. I don't share that opinion but it's their opinion.

I'm talking about the many post of the 'sky is falling" before we play one pre-season game. It's just not LB but the sky has been falling over our WR's, our DB's, our Kickers and who knows what else. And, the question is always, what are they doing about it???? As if they are doing nothing.

I'm saying that there is a long way to go before the season starts and BB/SP will be making changes,via FA's or trades. But, the sky will continue to fall with these people right up to the day we win another SB.

I haven't been here that long, but I'm sure you've seen me have a good laugh at the "we're doomed" people during early ridiculous free agent period.

I actually made a post here or the other place predicting they would look for bargain cuts late since there were no June salary cap cuts.

I hope that's the case since I honestly worry about our strength up the middle with current personnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Claiborne would be a nice addition. Former first round pick who has the body to play inside LB. Only 28!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes