Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats work out linebackers Orlando Ruff and Chris Claiborne

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DefenseRules, Aug 11, 2006.

1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
    Don't know much about either guy, but Ruff sounds intriguing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I didn't know Claiborne was a FA. It's too bad, he, like Gardner, seemed like he should have been a long time starter in the league instead of hanging on. I'm hoping to see something out of Gardner tonight.
  3. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Claibornes bests...120 tackles, 5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 3 INT's...I like that.
  4. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

To all the "we're doomed" posters and worry warts, this is another example of BB/SP always working to put the best team on the field.

Neither one of these guys could be signed but the roster will continue to evolve over the next 4 weeks.
  5. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Do you mean posters that thought we were very weak at LB?

If that wasn't true why would the team be auditioning players this late in preseason?
  6. hobbsownscoles

hobbsownscoles Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

its not like there not dealing with it is what he was saying
  7. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

We're not weak at LB. We're just not deep. How many teams in the league have more than 3 or 4 quality LBs on their roster?

Answer: not many.

I don't think it's surprising that they'd try to get the best players on the roster prior to the season opener.
  8. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I love our management as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure you can laud them for simply bringing guys in for a workout. Pretty sure every team is doing this throughout August.

I'm just glad to see they are not turning a blind eye to total lack of depth/experience behind the starters.
  9. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Well we have to start 4 in our offense. I'm not sure we have 4 NFL quality starters, that's my point.

Without Bruschi last year we had Vrabel, Colvin and McGinest and we stunk.

Subtract McGinest.

If you're satisfied that Gardner and Davis can stop us from being run over up the gut, you have more confidence than I.
  10. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Actually, I hope you're wrong. I think most teams are looking to cut rather than add this time of year.

I do respect and admire BB and SP and hope they are looking to pick up bargains.

I know it's about more than resumes but damn it's hard to believe some of these guys couldn't help our depth or even start.

Without Bruschi your in denial if you think we can hold the fort at ILB with current personnel.
  11. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

No, if someone thinks we are "weak" at LB that an opinion. I don't share that opinion but it's their opinion.

I'm talking about the many post of the 'sky is falling" before we play one pre-season game. It's just not LB but the sky has been falling over our WR's, our DB's, our Kickers and who knows what else. And, the question is always, what are they doing about it???? As if they are doing nothing.

I'm saying that there is a long way to go before the season starts and BB/SP will be making changes,via FA's or trades. But, the sky will continue to fall with these people right up to the day we win another SB.
  12. mavfan2390

mavfan2390 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I want Claiborne BADLY. He is five times the player that Beisel is, and he is still young. Vrabel/Bruschi/Claiborne/Colvin with Beisel, Mincey, Gardner, Davis, and Banta-Cain backing up would be nice.
  13. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

i think that Claiborne has been partially a disappointment in the Nfl

but probably, if he will join us, he will have another opportunity

i agree with Ray Clay anyway as i am a little bit concerned too (at the moment) about our lb situation

but, as correctly Patsnutme mentioned, we are in good hands with BB and SP at the helm and i am not worried at all when we will play for real (so: in 1 month not today in pre-season)

Go Pats !!!
  14. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Claiborne has been a disappointment. All the talent, but I don't know if he's got the mental aspect of the game down.
  15. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Sure, easy for you to say.

BB puts his best players on the field, and then the airplane carrying Claiborne into Boston loses an engine over Gillette and the falling parts injure the entire team.

Look, it's bad enough that BB is so stupid he can't see what we can see clearly, and will not even read this pages to see how numb he is and make the necessary changes we point out, but why isn't he doing something to ensure planes carrying future team members not fly over Gillette. Just another example of his shortsightedness and failure to be prepared.

We're doomed.
  16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Can't immagine that Ruff,or Claiborne wouldn't be an upgrade over Monty in the middle.At least give one of them a shot what can we lose? Over the years I've never undestood why BB won't bring in someone who might potentialy help.They can always be cut,the risk is minimal.
  17. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Now that you put it that way:scared:
  18. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Nobody seems ready to give Beisel a break. Sure, early on last year he sucked - but the entire 'D' did and he was new to the system. He really was playing decent ball by years end and I think he will play at a VERY high level this year. Sure, we still need to add a LB or two given Bruschi & Brown injuries.
  19. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I haven't been here that long, but I'm sure you've seen me have a good laugh at the "we're doomed" people during early ridiculous free agent period.

I actually made a post here or the other place predicting they would look for bargain cuts late since there were no June salary cap cuts.

I hope that's the case since I honestly worry about our strength up the middle with current personnel.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  20. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Claiborne would be a nice addition. Former first round pick who has the body to play inside LB. Only 28!
  21. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I believe Biesal will be better this year,but I'd like to see the pats at least try these guys out, you never know,plus at least one of them could add depth.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  22. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My God, the voice of reason.

I applaud your realism. Being realistic is so much more interesting than walking around and pretending the likes of Don Davis and Larry Izzo can be All-Pros if someone goes down and they're called into action.
  23. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Who here is pretending that is likely, or even a possibility?
  24. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

What LB have we lost since FA started ? Bruschi for the start of the season, that's it. How many LB did Belichick draft or sign in FA ? None other than small names. The conclusion ? Belichick is reasonably comfortable with what we have. Either that or Belichick suddenly became stupid.

Why are they looking at the likes of Ruff and Claiborne ? Maybe a little due to the short term injuries to Bruschi and Brown. But, also, they look at guys all the time.
  25. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

We'd all love Claiborne to come in b/c of his draft history and the fact that we KNOW HIS NAME. We also all harbor ill-will against Monty Beisel b/c he was bad last year. I say we trust BB to know which players are a FIT for his system. BB and Pees both say that Beisel has improved - I'm pretty sure they know better than we do.

If Claiborne isn't a good fit, the fact that some fans will feel better for a week or two shouldn't figure into BB's personnel decision making.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  26. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Exactly what I mean. Bruschi is out for the time being. We need more bodies. So in effect, there is, at least for the moment, a weakness at the position. Thus the decision to bring these guys in.
  27. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Not that anyone ever said that. What people have said is that they have proven to be valuable components of superbowl-winning teams. Still, you an I have a different definition of voice of reason.

Mine is not that Davis, Izzo or anyone else will be All-Pro. Saying that is dumb. But it is just as dumb to say that they cannot compete and paly on an NFL team at the NFL level, which they have proven they can, have proven it for years.

For me the voice of reason and reality is that there are no guarantees, that even with every player you want, you are not guaranteed a shot at the playoffs. Also, my voice of reason says that players who have played before and gotten the job done will continue to do so, and further, that players step up when given the chance. This has been shown time and again. Why is it unreasonable to expect things to change this time?

My reality and voice of reason also say the replacing Beisel will not make a difference. Think about it.

We had Beisel last year and got into the playoffs. Something wrong with that?Why is it the voice of reason that now that he has experience in the system he will be the reason we DON'T make the playoffs.

There were several reason why we lost in Denver, and Beisel in not at the top of the list. He helped get us into the palyoffs, and is not the reason we got ousted. He is not Bruschi, but let's at least accept that last year we got into the palyoffs with him and his level has improved accodign to BB.

Don Davis and Larry Izzo are not my choice either as first stringers, but as backups they were key parts of two and three superbowls, respectively, and as good as other team's backups. Better, perhaps, as they have shown they can do it.

Maybe it is the voice of reason to call people homers when they remind people of what really happened in the past, and the voice of reality to say that what got us three superbowl wins will not work any more, but it isn't mine.

You are welcome to your opinion, but to call it not an opinion but reality or the voice of reason is in my opinion unrealisty and unreasonable.

That's muy opinion. So there.
  28. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Claiborne was pretty good with the Lions,I don't know what happened there,but I think he's worth a try. Again what do we have to lose.
  29. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Does anybody know how it came to this for Claiborne? He looked like he was going to have an excellent career early on...I know there were some injury issues, is there any more to the story?
  30. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

I am a broken record on this issue. How can it hurt to bring in Clayborne to fight with Gardner and Alexander for roster spots. The issue isn't about starting; it is about improving the roster. Could Clayborne make the 53? If the answer is even "maybe", then we should bring him into camp.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005