Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats will pummel Jets on the ground

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PonyExpress, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

The Jets OLBs are inexperienced setting the edge. Maroney will break big gains, and Dillon will wear out Vilma late (see Bettis AFC divisional game). The Jet D will remember this pounding all season. I expect a brutal assault by the Pats O, which will allow the Pats D (Seymour and Harrison) and pass game another week to recover from the "emotional" impact of the Branch departure. Oelhoffen and Hamilton will hold up well, but the Jets LBers will betray them. My only concern in this game is Seymour reacting immaturely to his friend's departure, setting a bad, unemotional tone for the Defense. Hopefully the return of Bruschi can pick up the emotional slack.

2. groundgame

groundgame Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Seymour has nothing to pout over, it was he who gave Branch the recipe for this year's holdout crisis.

3. bostonbuzz

bostonbuzz Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The running game will be a force Sunday afternoon! Seymour will show up and play hard as will the rest of the team. I'd say they'll want to win more than ever now. You think the Pats need incentive to get past the recent issues? How's this for incentive?

The rest of the NFL says...

"TOO BAD NE...BOO HOO! Lost a 'big one' did ya? GOOD! Hope you suck wind and lose the rest of your games this year...you luckier than ****, three time SB winning bastards! You don't deserve another shot at the title! It's our turn now!

4. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +104 / 1 / -0

I hope you're right about the running game. Question though, who has a better run defense, Jets or Buffalo ? This isn't a smart ass question, it's a legit question. The Jets have some talented defenders, but then again, so does Buffalo. So if anybody has some insight, who has a better run defense ? If the Jets have a run defense that is not as good as Buffalo's, Then you are indeed correct, they should be able to pummel the Jets on the ground.

5. Kasmir

Kasmir Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Buffalo had the 2nd worst rushing defense in the league last year, allowing 2205 yards and 4.5 ypc. So perhaps we need to wait and see how we fare against a good rushing defense before we proclaim how great our running game is.

The Jets also had one of the worst rushing defenses last year, allowing 2185 yards, albeit with a more respectable 3.9ypc.

Source:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/tmstats2005.htm

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  6. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I just have this gut feeling, Maroney is going to take it to the house sunday.

Did I mention Maroney is on my Fantasy team?

7. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -2

Maybe that's why he's pouting .... feels a little guilty ... maybe? :confused:

8. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +104 / 1 / -0

Thanks for the stats. I guess that answers my question. Unfortunately for the Jets, if they play run defense like last year, Dillon & Maroney (& Faulk) may have huge days. Last years stats don't have a bearing on what could happen Sunday (New coach, new defensive scheme, new players, etc), but I don't think the Jets have made enough changes of their team to be considerably better than last years defense. The run game may be the difference. I do think the Pats offensive mindset may change a little if Gabriel (and possibly Jackson) play on Sunday. Once the pass option shows itself to be dependable, this offense will be scary. Until then, pound the ball.

9. zoostation

zoostation In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Let it go. Richard Seymour is a professional and he will be ready at the bell.

10. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm sure that the jets will be looking to take away our running game in a big way as that appears to be our O strength right now. You can bet Mangini will focus on that. It will be sweet if Brady can use the passing game to loosen up their D!

11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

And to state the obvious, if they can pound the ball well, it certainly opens up the passing game and play actions.......

12. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +138 / 8 / -7

Dont get too overconfident. We'll problably be losing 14 points due to all the Pats will kick the crap out of the Jets, threads..

13. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

last yr's stats mean nothing. last year the pats run offense sucked. I think we all can see it is drastically improved.

Corey Dillon is gonna hurt some jets tomorrow

14. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

unless they can't pass protect and matt light gets burnt and the o-lineman don't switch off correctly, then play actions means very little.

pass protection is a huge key for tomorrow and i expect they worked on it quite a bt and you won't see the errors of the first half of last weeks game.

15. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

unless they can't pass protect and matt light gets burnt and the o-lineman don't switch off correctly, then play actions means very little.

pass protection is a huge key for tomorrow and i expect they worked on it quite a bt and you won't see the errors of the first half of last weeks game.

16. Digger44

Digger44 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It doesn't answer your question all the way because the Bills had some tough injuries last year that caused those stats. When the team falls apart due to injuries, that is not their fault. The Jest were just pain bad. Even with Abraham they stunk. I would not be suprised to see both Dillon and Lomo go for 100.

17. QB12

QB12 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -6

#12 Jersey

I agree. More pointedly, Big Sey may be less bothered by a broken heart than by a guilty conscience, because he probably never figured that the course he set DB on would result in DB being gone.

I also think it says something about DB's character that he didn't call Tom as he was being traded, as Tom revealed this week. Kind of sh*76y on his part, given how much Tom pined and lobbied for him.

As someone once said, team sports don't build character, they reveal character.

QB12

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.