PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs Steelers:Expert picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Pat's fan, but I'm a realist as well. The Steelers are a better team than the Pats, period. Their defense is 1000 times better than ours, their running game blows ours out of the water, even their receivers are better than ours. Only things they have better than Pittsburgh, is our QB and head Coach.
Fans know their own team much better than other teams they don't follow as closely. Result is we tend to be far more critical of our own teams. Meanwhile we look at those other teams from memories - and those memories tend to come from victorious seasons which get repeated over and over.

Pats fans are concerned about the defense, and rightfully so. But guess what - Steeler fans are very concerned about their offensive line, and rightfully so as well. We tend to overlook that; for example, you didn't mention the Pats OL as being better than the Steelers OL. And the OL is not something that can be looked at just in a vacuum; problems there affect the running game, and pass blocking affects the performance of the quarterback - and the wide receivers.

As for the "running game that blows ours out of the water", did you realize the Pats are actually averaging more yards per carry than the Steelers are? Yes, the Pats do have issues running the ball but it looks to me like your assessment of the Steelers running game is based strictly on past reputation. And as bad as the Pats' pass defense has been, the Steelers' pass defense has not been much better this year; nobody fears their corners either.

If I take my homer glasses off and have to predict who will win right now, I would probably say Pittsburgh. I just don't think it is as one-sided as some are making it out to be. This team has its issues, just like the Pats do.

Last edited:
Bruschi's Breakdown: Tedy Bruschi and Mike Reiss break down Sunday's game between the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers - ESPN Boston

both reiss and tedy pick pittsburgh

Mike: As for a prediction, I see this as a low-scoring game. Given the struggles of the Patriots' offense and the strength of the Steelers' defense, coupled with the home field, I slightly favor Pittsburgh. I think the Patriots will play a better game than last week, but still come up short. Steelers 20, Patriots 17.

Tedy: In thinking about who I should pick for this game I'm reminded of something Coach Belichick taught me. It was the week before a big game. I can't remember which one -- they were all big -- and we had played poorly the week before and there were some comments said in the media by some of our players about looking forward to having success the next week. Coach Belichick said, "You guys think you're gonna go out there and play well?! BASED ON WHAT?!" He then proceeded to list our struggles as a team and told us that until we started to fix our problems they were going to show up over and over again. Based on what? Exactly. Based on what I saw last week the Patriots have a lot of fixing to do. Steelers 28, Patriots 20.

Fans know their own team much better than other teams they don't follow as closely. Result is we tend to be far more critical of our own teams. Meanwhile we look at those other teams from memories - and those memories tend to come from victorious seasons which get repeated over and over.

Pats fans are concerned about the defense, and rightfully so. But guess what - Steeler fans are very concerned about their offensive line, and rightfully so as well. We tend to overlook that; for example, you didn't mention the Pats OL as being better than the Steelers OL. And the OL is not something that can be looked at just in a vacuum; problems there affect the running game, and pass blocking affects the performance of the quarterback - and the wide receivers.

As for the "running game that blows ours out of the water", did you realize the Pats are actually averaging more yards per carry than the Steelers are? Yes, the Pats do have issues running the ball but it looks to me like your assessment of the Steelers running game is based strictly on past reputation. And as bad as the Pats' pass defense has been, the Steelers' pass defense has not been much better this year; nobody fears their corners either.

If I take my homer glasses off and have to predict who will win right now, I would probably say Pittsburgh. I just don't think it is as one-sided as some are making it out to be. This team has its issues, just like the Pats do.
i always felt ben roethlisberger makes that oline look bad since he cant make fast decisions and relies on his escapism and big build to make plays.

i always felt ben roethlisberger makes that oline look bad since he cant make fast decisions and relies on his escapism and big build to make plays.
That's a good point, I won't disagree at all. Regardless, their offensive line is not at the same level it was a few years ago, and now they've also been hit with multiple injuries to that unit.

The spread's widening. Steelers now favored by 4.5. Smart money sensing an evisceration? :(

It's easy to see why the Steelers are a sexy pick. They've a franchise oaf at QB, a good stable of RB's, big play and intermediate threats in the passing game and a punishing defense when on song. They've got holes that can be easily exploited if you're on your game. That said the Patriots need to be on their game all game and let's face it, this team hasn't fired from whistle to whistle in a complete team performance this season. That's hardly unexpected given the trades and age of the side.

First time this season I have picked against the Patriots. We were simply abysmal against the Browns and Tomlin would have picked up on that.

Last edited:
I'm a Pat's fan, but I'm a realist as well. The Steelers are a better team than the Pats, period. Their defense is 1000 times better than ours, their running game blows ours out of the water, even their receivers are better than ours. Only things they have better than Pittsburgh, is our QB and head Coach. Will that be enough to pull off the upset IN Pittsburgh ? Hopefully. We shall see. I still see this as a rebuilding year, and I'm not going to let any loss upset me too much. Like I said after the Cleveland game, they weren't as good as our 6-1 record showed us to be, but they aren't as bad as they showed in the Cleveland game. They are somewhere in between

Tihs is so common on this board. The Pats must suck because i can name flaws, and the Steelers must be great because I don't want to look for flaws.
The Steelers were 6-2 last year to, before they were 6-7 after losing 5 straight.
That 1000 times better defense blew a lot of those games and has been unable to stop almost anyone late in games lately. The Bengals almost came back from a 20 point deficit to beat them Monday. The dolphins would have won if not for a bad call. In between they scored 10 points against the Saints.
Go ahread and think the Steelers are the 03-04 Patriots, but the facts just dont back that up.
There really arent any team out there without just as many flaws as the Pats, however this board tends to downgrade the Pats due to having flaws and pretend other teams dont have any.
By the way, good one that the Steelers receivers are better. Got a nice laugh out of that one.

NFL Picks - CBSSports.com Football

Back to the original topic, four out of five at CBS Sports are going with the Steelers to win: Clark Judge takes the Pats while Pete Prisco, Dave Richard, Will Brinson and Josh Katzowitz all go with Pittsburgh. Most think this will be a close game though; three out of five (Judge, Brinson and Katzowitz) think the Pats will cover the 4.5 point spread.

Prisco's Picks - CBSSports.com Football
Steelers 27, Patriots 20
The Patriots are playing consecutive road games, while the Steelers are playing on a short week. That will help negate New England playing back-to-back on the road, which can be tough. But New England doesn't scare down the field in the passing game. That's trouble against the Steelers, who can sit on the short routes and pressure Brady. Pittsburgh takes it in a big way.

Weekly expert NFL picks - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN
All six Fox Sports writers - Jay Glazer, Alex Marvez, John Czarnecki, Adam Schein, Peter Schrager and Adam Caplan - are going with Pittsburgh.

PFT’s Week 10 picks | ProFootballTalk
Mike Florio’s take: The Steelers and Patriots have played four times at Heinz Field, twice in the playoffs. And the Patriots have won three times. Twice in the playoffs. The only victory for the Steelers came in 2004, when the Patriots were riding a record 21-game winning streak. With injuries on the Pittsburgh offensive line and a bruised ego for Bill Belichick and Tom Brady after Sunday’s 20-point loss to the Browns, look for that victory to remain the only one for the Steelers.

Florio’s pick: Patriots 24, Steelers 21.

Gregg Rosenthal’s take: The Patriots are catching the Steelers at the right time. Pittsburgh has to play on a short week after a hard-hitting game in Cincinnati left the team bruised and battered. The Steelers are catching the Patriots at the wrong time; New England has consistently responded well to losses in the Bill Belichick era. The Steelers are still a better team.

Rosenthal’s pick: Steelers 28, Patriots 27.

Six out of seven at the Sporting News are going with Pittsburgh.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/picks
Steelers 23, Patriots 20 - Vinnie Iyer
Steelers 23, Patriots 17 - Dennis Dillon
Steelers 28, Patriots 24 - Steve Greenburg
Steelers 27, Patriots 24 - Clifton Brown
Patriots 24, Steelers 17 - Todd Wright
Steelers 19, Patriots 17 - Real Scouts
Steelers 27, Patriots 24 - Russ Lande

NFL Week 10: Thursday's super starter - NFL - Sporting News
The Patriots have trouble with swarming 3-4 defenses, and that will hamper their offense as it tries to keep up with all the Steelers' attributes, from Rashard Mendenhall's power to Mike Wallace's speed.
Prediction: Steelers 23, Patriots 20.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to be a hater to pick the Steelers this game. I mean, we didn't exactly look like a powerhouse in Cleveland.

We didn't either. Saints fans can explain it way saying, well their offense only had 1 TD for the 30 pts to beat us, or they only passed for 74 yards.

Truth is they kicked our butt, and got the win.

But if Browns played the Saints or the Patriots in 10 games they would maybe beat us both once at the most?

Not knocking you PatsFanSince74, you know that. Just saying the loss doesn't define our teams or its standing or capabilities. Jesus we got our butts kick by the Bucs last year and had them down 17-0 at the half, what does that say.

Unlike the Dallas game I have no excuse for that, our guys were in, we just lost.

Last edited:
Almost everybody is picking the Steelers. That means we have them right where we want them. :D

Weekly NFL picks from USA TODAY's analysts - USATODAY.com
Pete's Picks: Steelers will put hurt on visiting Patriots - USATODAY.com

USA Today may favor the Pats more than anyone outside of New England; they have it 5 to 3 for Pittsburgh. For the record Jarrett Bell, Nate Davis, Gary Mihoces, Pete O'Brien and Tom Pedula go with the Steelers while Jim Corbett, Sean Leahy and Jon Saraceno take the Pats. O'Brien is the only one to pick against a five point spread and has the Steelers covering, 29-20.

NFL Picks Week 10: Ravens Look to Roll Through Atlanta -- NFL FanHouse
Anyone notice that prime-time teams have been getting prime-time games two weeks in a row? Now it's the Steelers, who got a little sloppy late in Cincinnati Monday night, but hung on. That almost seemed inevitable -- there's something in the Steelers' DNA that allows them to pull out the close ones.

That's in the DNA of the Patriots, too. But first they have to keep it close, which they didn't last week in Cleveland. When you look at the Patriots, you kind of wonder how Bill Belichick has these guys at 6-2. Tom Brady is one answer, but ...

(Note: Shayne Graham may be kicking for the Patriots this week. He kicked for the Giants in one game when Lawrence Tynes was hurt. If the Giants and Patriots meet in the Super Bowl, Shayne is guaranteed a ring.)
Steelers - 4 ½
Steelers 23, Patriots 17

Insiders' Picks - Showtime Sports

Phil Simms and Warren Sapp pick the Steelers, while Cris Collinsworth abstains.

NFL Week 10 Picks including Patriots-Steelers, Ravens-Falcons - Peter King - SI.com
Patriots 24, Steelers 23
Game of the year so far. That's how this one will play out. Pats are 3-1 in Pittsburgh in this century, and fire alarms have been sounding all over the locker room and practice facility this week. Big game for Bill Belichick. Very big game. And with Pittsburgh down three big players since August -- tackles Max Starks and Willie Colon, and defensive end Aaron Smith -- that'll be just enough dents in the armor for the Patriots to take advantage.

what is the record of road teams in sunday night games.? not very good i think

what is the record of road teams in sunday night games.? not very good i think
So far this season it is 3-6.
The Cowboys on the road twice skews it a little bit.

DAL 7 @ WAS 13
NYG 14 @ IND 38
NYJ 31 @ MIA 23
CHI 3 @ NYG 17
PHI 27 @ SF 24
IND 27 @ WAS 24
MIN 24 @ GB 28
PIT 10 @ NO 20
DAL 7 @ GB 45
Patriots at Steelers
Giants at Eagles
Chargers at Colts
Steelers at Ravens
Eagles at Cowboys
Packers at Pats
Chargers at Bengals
TBD

I'm a Pat's fan, but I'm a realist as well. The Steelers are a better team than the Pats, period. Their defense is 1000 times better than ours, their running game blows ours out of the water, even their receivers are better than ours. Only things they have better than Pittsburgh, is our QB and head Coach. Will that be enough to pull off the upset IN Pittsburgh ? Hopefully. We shall see. I still see this as a rebuilding year, and I'm not going to let any loss upset me too much. Like I said after the Cleveland game, they weren't as good as our 6-1 record showed us to be, but they aren't as bad as they showed in the Cleveland game. They are somewhere in between

You are not a "realist", you are a pessimist! Their running game (I assume you mean Mendenhall) is a beast. But as a team the Pitt run game averages a whopping 4.0 YPC as opposed to our 4.1 YPC. :rolleyes: The receivers are better? Really? Do yourself a favor and actually watch NFL games that do not include the Patriots!

That "1000 times" better defense didn't do jack against NO and nearly gave up a 20 point lead to the Bengals!

What other "realistic" stuff do you have? :confused:

Last edited:
You are not a "realist", you are a pessimist! Their running game (I assume you mean Mendenhall) is a beast. But as a team the Pitt run game averages a whopping 4.0 YPC as opposed to our 4.1 YPC. :rolleyes: The receivers are better? Really? Do yourself a favor and actually watch NFL games that do not include the Patriots!

That "1000 times" better defense didn't do jack against NO and nearly gave up a 20 point lead to the Bengals!

What other "realistic" stuff do you have? :confused:

Seriously, the words "realist" and "1000 times better" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Tihs is so common on this board. The Pats must suck because i can name flaws, and the Steelers must be great because I don't want to look for flaws.
The Steelers were 6-2 last year to, before they were 6-7 after losing 5 straight.
That 1000 times better defense blew a lot of those games and has been unable to stop almost anyone late in games lately. The Bengals almost came back from a 20 point deficit to beat them Monday. The dolphins would have won if not for a bad call. In between they scored 10 points against the Saints.
Go ahread and think the Steelers are the 03-04 Patriots, but the facts just dont back that up.
There really arent any team out there without just as many flaws as the Pats, however this board tends to downgrade the Pats due to having flaws and pretend other teams dont have any.
By the way, good one that the Steelers receivers are better. Got a nice laugh out of that one.

Its because people think they are "better fans" by naming flaws in the pats...I dont get it really, but thats all it is.

Me? I say the Patriots are going to win every F*cking week and I dont care how bad they last the week before or who they play

in my mind..NEP= best O and D in the nfl..best special teams, best coaches and best players..they can do no wrong..Call Me Homer McGoggles if you want..I just dont see any point in being a "realist" if your just negative all the time.

I'd be pleasantly surprised (shocked) if the Pats upset the Steelers. Our defense makes every QB look great, even rookie 3rd round picks (Colt McCoy). Also, you guys bring up yards per carry, sure the Pat's UPC is higher, but how many of those carries were by Woodhead on passing downs ? If it's third and 10, and Woodhead gets 6 on a carry, yeah that pads the average. When it comes to the receivers, show me a receiver on the Pats better than Hines Ward. Heathe Miller is a really good TE. Mike Wallace is a better deep threat than anyone we have. I hope the Pats win, but I just can't see it happening.

Tough, tough call. On the one hand, Brady has owned the Steelers his whole career (5-1, 11 TDs to 3 INTs). On the other hand, he's got a hurt foot. Steelers may be the best team in the AFC, but they're coming off a brutal, emotional divisional Monday night game with multiple concussions and hurt players.

I don't think this is a dominant New England team, but it hasn't taken dominant New England teams to beat Pittsburgh in the past (2001, 2002, 2005). I think we're catching Pittsburgh at the exact right time. Their defensive and offensive lines are in rough shape, each down multiple starters. Their corners are lacking. We, of course, have our share of problems. Given our favorable history though, I think we can pull it out.

Tough, tough call. On the one hand, Brady has owned the Steelers his whole career (5-1, 11 TDs to 3 INTs). On the other hand, he's got a hurt foot. Steelers may be the best team in the AFC, but they're coming off a brutal, emotional divisional Monday night game with multiple concussions and hurt players.

I don't think this is a dominant New England team, but it hasn't taken dominant New England teams to beat Pittsburgh in the past (2001, 2002, 2005). I think we're catching Pittsburgh at the exact right time. Their defensive and offensive lines are in rough shape, each down multiple starters. Their corners are lacking. We, of course, have our share of problems. Given our favorable history though, I think we can pull it out.

Excellent post.

The all-important Madden sim on ESPN.com (83% accurate last week) has Pats losing a tough one, 20-17.

After falling behind 20-10, the Patriots attempt a late rally, scoring a touchdown with six minutes left in the fourth quarter to pull within three points. There was plenty of time, but it wasn't meant to be as the Steelers get the ball and eat up most of the clock thanks to the speedy feet of Rashard Mendenhall. When the Patriots finally do get the ball back, Tom Brady throws a pick that ends any chances of a miraculous New England win.

Video Games - EA Sports Simulations - ESPN

Sims also have the Jets, Colts and Dolphins winning. And they had Atlanta 25-24 last night.

FWIW, though their picks are as good as any....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes