PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs Seattle WRs/TEs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
How about a football thread?!

I think a lot has been made of this match up being in the Patriots favor and obviously it is. However I think it is being over looked a little as they pose a few issues in the same way the Ravens did though to a lesser extent.

Baldwin is 5'10 190
Kearse is 6'1 210
Wilson (TE) is 6'5 250
Lynch 5'11 215

Are their main passing targets in just about that order.

They also do not have a single go to passing option in the red zone and prefer to spread it around a bit.

The main issue I see is this is a game (much like the Ravens game) is Browner simply does not have a match up. Wilson is too big probably and everyone else is too small and too fast. Actually in that Ravens game the Patriots did better when Browner got banged up and had to leave the game. He tends to excel against 6'3-6'4 down field WRs that are not overly quick but fast and strong.

To me this on the surface appears to be more of an Arrington game than a Browner game. Although Arrington has been good this year on the outside both Kearse and Baldwin are speedsters he has had trouble with in the past.

The smart money is on Revis taking away Baldwin as he is their top WR option and then worry about the rest. While i think Arrington will be able to do well on Kearse i would expect McCourty to shade that side.

The question becomes now who covers Wilson and Lynch. Probably a mix of Collins/Chung/Hightower.

However using Collins to try to take away Lynch or Wilson is a bit of an issue. Collins as many have said is going to be needed to spy on Russell Wilson on a lot of these snaps. Hightower is to slow and Chung is to small for either target. However this simply illustrates to me we may decide to use Chung to spy on Wilson a bit more than we would think and Collins might see more of a coverage roll.

Last edited:
Wow..someone other then me wanting to talk football..who knew. Their WRs aren't good. Our DBs should win that battle easily. If we can holf Lynch..i think we will really limit them in what they can do

I agree with what youre saying about Browner but we need to find a way to get him into this game, even if that means safety help on his side. His physical approach and his leadership cannot be under estimated.

I still think Browner is best suited against the TE. I think Arrington on Kearse would be ok. Or put Revis on Kearse, totally taking him out and defend Baldwin like they did with TY Hilton - Arrington/McCourty bracketing him.

Wow..someone other then me wanting to talk football..who knew

Not to derail an ausome topic, but im disappointed at the way pats fans have responded to that situation. Acting thin skinned and overly sensitive. Who cares about all that, the last game of the season is on Sunday. Let's talk about that.

Im actually more worried about Wilson's legs than Lynchs. Get up two possessions like green bay did and watch them struggle. Just make sure to recover onside kick attempts in the end.

Wilson has really come on of late, he's a problem.

The big thing with all their receivers, though, is the broken plays and the receivers uncovering either due to time or a defender coming off his receiver to help against the run. I hate to be repetitive but keeping Wilson in the pocket helps the coverage.

Not to derail an ausome topic, but im disappointed at the way pats fans have responded to that situation. Acting thin skinned and overly sensitive. Who cares about all that, the last game of the season is on Sunday. Let's talk about that.

Im actually more worried about Wilson's legs than Lynchs. Get up two possessions like green bay did and watch them struggle. Just make sure to recover onside kick attempts in the end.

do you really need to try to make the same point in different threads? one would think that you're a little sensitive

pats secondary needs to be disciplined.......they don't have to be all-pros when it comes to plays executed as planned, but they do need to be disciplined and make sure they stay with their assignments until the very end of the play.

as for Wilson, there are things that DL's can do to help mitigate the threat of Wilson using his legs......don't get behind him and keep him in the pocket.....don't let the OL spread everyone out too much. this would help reduce the execution of the ''broken plays" that wind up making him look so awesome.

Browner can match up at times on Wilson as he is a similar player in terms of size/speed/skill to Fleener based off of what my layman's eyes have seen.

The key in this game is keeping Wilson contained, and not allowing him many (if any) opportunities to extend plays (e.g. broken plays),which is where his improvisational skills, coupled with the receivers, can do some significant damage.

I'm not too worried about Wilson and while Luck isn't always as mobile I think he is tougher to handle just due to his size alone. I like Browner on the TE myself but you know NE won't do anything we think they will here. Lol. I wouldnt mind Browner in a safety role for the run either.

I agree that Arrington matches up better but I believe we need Browner's physical presence against a very physical team, especially in the run game.

This is a major match up advantage for the Patriots. The Patriots secondary is significantly more talented than Seattle's pass catchers. Further to the point, Wilson sometimes struggles on short to intermediate routes that require accuracy and on time delivery. Where the Seahawks passing game excels is in the broken, extend the play Rothlisberger approach to football.

If the Patriots front 7 does its job by limiting the impact of Lynch and keeping Wilson in the pocket, I can't see how the Seahawks can gain enough in the passing game to beat the Patriots (outside of an offensive collapse from the Pats).

Watching what the Patriots did to Luck, a QB with more skills than Wilson, gives me reason for optimism.

Seahawks receivers are perfectly suited for their style of play. No one is a game changer in their receiver corps, but other than most of last week, throughout the year their receivers have shown to have great hands and are able to make tough catches. They also block extremely well in the run game. Lockette figures to have a larger role in the game too, he's probably the fastest receiver now since Richardson is out.

One strength of Seattle is they know how to play Browner, so whoever he's covering, they'll likely be testing him often and early to see if he draws a penalty.

do you really need to try to make the same point in different threads? one would think that you're a little sensitive

I was responding to a poster that had a similar opinion. It's ironic that you mention I stated my opinion in different threads, there's probably 10 different threads about deflated footballs right now with the same posters saying the same thing over and over and over.

I still think Browner is best suited against the TE. I think Arrington on Kearse would be ok. Or put Revis on Kearse, totally taking him out and defend Baldwin like they did with TY Hilton - Arrington/McCourty bracketing him.

I don't know. When Browner has been matched up with a TE, he has gotten burned. I would rather see Chung on a TE and browner doing something else...

And I remember the Pats during the SB wins not having the most talented WR's themselves.

And I remember the Pats during the SB wins not having the most talented WR's themselves.

True, but they still gotta beat our secondary that's pretty good. But limiting the Wrs will be directly tied to keeping Wilson in the pocket

No one on the Seahawks deserved to get bracket coverage like a Ty Hilton last game.

You can play Revis, Browner, Arrington on islands

No one on the Seahawks deserved to get bracket coverage like a Ty Hilton last game.

I think that is the plan. One on one from those three and leave 8 to stop the run.

I have confidence that Revis will equalize whoever he is covering (probably Baldwin). I assume that leaves Kearse for Browner. Jam Kearse at the line and give him over the top help with McCourty if necessary. That leaves Arrington or Chung to come up in the box and provide run support.

It really is a chess game given the limitations of the Seahawks passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes