PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs. Raiders Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So we all want the Patriots to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl this season. We also want the Raiders to lose every game.

I know it's just the preseason, and we're all pretty pumped about this team.

One stat (for whatever stats are worth) jumped out at me after two preseason games. The Raiders have 12 sacks in two games. The Patriots have 2 sacks in 2 games.

I'm NOT saying the Raiders will be better than our beloved Patriots. I'm just pointing out something to my PatsFans peeps that caused me to swallow a little of my own spit-up when I noticed it.

Stand by for the cracks on "why can't we get players like Seymour". :)

So we all want the Patriots to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl this season. We also want the Raiders to lose every game.

I know it's just the preseason, and we're all pretty pumped about this team.

One stat (for whatever stats are worth) jumped out at me after two preseason games. The Raiders have 12 sacks in two games. The Patriots have 2 sacks in 2 games.

I'm NOT saying the Raiders will be better than our beloved Patriots. I'm just pointing out something to my PatsFans peeps that caused me to swallow a little of my own spit-up when I noticed it.

Stand by for the cracks on "why can't we get players like Seymour". :)

Raiders look much better than they have in years. People should not get their hopes up for a typical raiders season. they could go 8-8 and land us a top 15 pick instead of the customary top 5. IN any event, even if we did get a top 5 selection, BB would just trade down.

5 of them sacks were against the Bears first O-Line! And that line really sucks!

Nearly as much as the Jets!

Raiders look much better than they have in years. People should not get their hopes up for a typical raiders season. they could go 8-8 and land us a top 15 pick instead of the customary top 5. IN any event, even if we did get a top 5 selection, BB would just trade down.

I think that depends on whether a new cba is in place in which rookies salaries are slotted.

Having a QB who doesn't play so poorly that it looks like he's been paid by the opposition goes a long way in making a team look better.

If a new CBA makes the cap significantly lower, there's a good chance BB doesn't trade down. I also think that if there is a player that BB truly covets, he may not trade down anyway. He's surprised us in the draft before.

I'm hoping for #1 and #32 in the 2011 draft.

I'm hoping for #1 and #32 in the 2011 draft.

#1 only if a CBA Rookie Cap is in place, or some team is willing to trade with us :)

Having a QB who doesn't play so poorly that it looks like he's been paid by the opposition goes a long way in making a team look better.

Co-sign this.

If the Raiders end up with the 15th pick in the draft, will the Seymour trade have been worth it?

I've been against the trade from the onset, but I would be even more perturbed by it if we fail to get a blue-chipper. The reasoning behind the trade was a) we would get a top prospect b) we would do so with a rookie wage-scale in place. I'm not sure either is going to happen. And even worse, there may not be football next year.

There is no doubt Seymour would - now more than ever - make a massive difference on this team. To me, I'd feel very confident about our SB chances if we had a 3-down DE of Pro Bowl caliber lined up next to Big Vince. I still think this Patriot team as a whole is vastly underrated going into the season and like its chances, but there is no doubt these past two seasons were made more difficult by Seymour's absence - the Ravens game being huge proof of that. To jeopardize your chances in two of Brady's remaining prime years (though I do think the window with him is still up until he's about 40), just seems too risky.

Last edited:
Co-sign this.

If the Raiders end up with the 15th pick in the draft, will the Seymour trade have been worth it?

I've been against the trade from the onset, but I would be even more perturbed by it if we fail to get a blue-chipper. The reasoning behind the trade was a) we would get a top prospect b) we would do so with a rookie wage-scale in place. I'm not sure either is going to happen. And even worse, there may not be football next year.

There is no doubt Seymour would - now more than ever - make a massive difference on this team. To me, I'd feel very confident about our SB chances if we had a 3-down DE of Pro Bowl caliber lined up next to Big Vince. I still think this Patriot team as a whole is vastly underrated going into the season and like its chances, but there is no doubt these past two seasons were made more difficult by Seymour's absence - the Ravens game being huge proof of that. To jeopardize your chances in two of Brady's remaining prime years (though I do think the window with him is still up until he's about 40), just seems too risky.

For me, the argument isn't about whether we should have traded Seymour (Seymour was gone this year regardless, we weren't paying him $17 million a year with the franchise tag) but rather, should we have taken a 2nd rounder last year rather than a 1st rounder this year? If we end up with the 18th pick in the draft, you could make the argument that we made the wrong choice, but with the prospect of grabbing a top 10 guy who doesn't have a blowout contract, Belichick rightly gambled.

Who knows, Tom Cable may disintegrate.

Look at the guys the Patriots could have taken last year with the pick:

Benn, Arrelious WR
Misi, Koa DE
Joseph, Linval DT
Dunlap, Carlos DE
Cody, Terrence DT
Tate, Golden WR
Ducasse, Vlad OT

None of these guys jump out at me.

Will they be better than, say, DE Allen Bailey?

For me, the argument isn't about whether we should have traded Seymour (Seymour was gone this year regardless, we weren't paying him $17 million a year with the franchise tag) but rather, should we have taken a 2nd rounder last year rather than a 1st rounder this year? If we end up with the 18th pick in the draft, you could make the argument that we made the wrong choice, but with the prospect of grabbing a top 10 guy who doesn't have a blowout contract, Belichick rightly gambled.

Who knows, Tom Cable may disintegrate.

Look at the guys the Patriots could have taken last year with the pick:

Benn, Arrelious WR
Misi, Koa DE
Joseph, Linval DT
Dunlap, Carlos DE
Cody, Terrence DT
Tate, Golden WR
Ducasse, Vlad OT

None of these guys jump out at me.

Interesting point. I don't think its a shoe-in that Seymour was a goner had we retained him, but maybe I'm in the minority. In the case where a player is as valuable as Seymour, I'd rather get one year of his services and a 3rd round comp than gamble on that pick to the Raiders. We all knew the Raiders were one non-horrifyingly-bad-QB from being at least a marginal team, so the risk was there.

Co-sign this.

I always thought that you never trade "Foundation linemen" because you will find that it is very difficult to replace them on several fronts.

Our OLB pass rush has produced its quota of sacks, that the doofus reporters never notice, but the DL production fell off the cliff from a dozen or more sacks to less than half a dozen. They missed the 7-10 sacks that Seymour always produced.

I believe that Belichick knew that he could not afford to pay Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins and Gostkowski, and decided to pay the other three, and get what he could for Seymour in trade. BB probably offered an above number for the position, to Mankins to get it done. It is doubly frustrating to have Mankins reject Top 3 Guard money in such a case.

But if Mankins isn't signed, than that money can go to RESIGN Seymour after the season. (He is playing on a Franchise designation). He'll enjoy using the Raider's First rounder for the Seymour rental. GWarren has said he discussed signing with Raider teammate Seymour. Seymour said the Pats are a great organization and a good place to play, but football is a business. So there is little ill will on his part.

I'd love to see him back and play and then eventually retire as a Patriot. And it would be sweet to use his rental fee to draft his eventual successor, with a few years to groom him.

In their division, I see the Raiders losing both games to San Diego, splitting with Denver, and winning both vs. KC (3-3).

Against the AFC south, I see them beating Jacksonville, but losing to Hou, Indy, and @ Tenn (1-3).

Against the NFC west, I see them beating St Louis and Seattle, but losing @Arizona and @San Francisco (2-2).

That leaves Miami and @Pittsburgh, and I see them losing both of those (0-2).

So that's a total record of 6-10. Losses that they could possibly win include @Denver, Houston, and Miami. If they steal one of those, they're 7-9.

I'm not even going to waste the energy on hoping the Raiders lose every week. They're a 5-7 win team which should put the Pats' pick reasonably high.

Should we have taken a 2nd rounder last year rather than a 1st rounder this year?

While that is a valid question, remember that it ended up as a 2011 1 because Al Davis didn't want to give up the 2010 2, not because BB demanded the 2011 1.

oakland has a lot of talent on both side of the ball anyone looking for them to crash and burn this year will be let down IMO they are at lest a 500 football team that first round pick will be some were from 18 to 22

i don't think the pats will use both picks any ways

It's still just preseason and they're still the Raiders. Remember how good they looked the first couple weeks last season and where they winded up.

Campbell is an upgrade (anybody is an upgrade over Russell) but I don't see him making them a .500 team. I agree with the 5-6 win predictions with a slight chance at 7-9. More reason to cheer for Pioli and McDaniels.

Co-sign this.

i did not and still do not like the Seymour, but lets face it the pats got something for noting they were not going to pay wilfork, he's 8 million and Seymour, 9 or 10 million + re-sign Brady, one of them was going to walk this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes