PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs. Niners - Initial Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad. I assumed John Parolin of ESPN Status and Information had gotten his facts right: 3-Point Stance ESPN Boston

Guess you just can't trust the internets like you used to...

No problem. His claim that the 49ers aren't a big sacking team was as comparatively wrong as your numbers. I was just trying to give the actual numbers.

going to be snowing..lets see how kap handles it..not sure he has ever played in it.

We all know what brady does in the snow..bring on the snow!

going to be snowing..lets see how kap handles it..not sure he has ever played in it.

We all know what brady does in the snow..bring on the snow!

He played college in Reno, which is next door to Tahoe, so I suspect he is familiar with the types of winters they can have on the East Coast although I am not sure that the 49ers as a team have played in the snow since they went to Philly in 2009 and were pummeled with snowballs from the stands.

everyone in media is seeing this as a harder game than the texans..i see it the other way around..an easier game due to the 49er O

Actually, their 30 sacks is tops in the NFL.

Hardly...:snob: I don't know all the sack totals but the Philly Eagles and Cinncinati Bengals have in the 40s and high 30s respectively, and they are not alone. And the Houston Texans we just defeated and routed have 37.

Hardly...:snob: I don't know all the sack totals but the Philly Eagles and Cinncinati Bengals have in the 40s and high 30s respectively, and they are not alone. And the Houston Texans we just defeated and routed have 37.

this year philly is at like the bottom 5 for sacks

Sacks do not tell the entire story.

The 49ers defense is tied for 5th in the NFL with 38 sacks; however, if you look at who is ahead of us, their defenses are not even in the same class. In fact, the only good defense in the bunch is Arizona, which leads the league with 52 sacks.

Remember, a lot of those sacks are from relentless pressure from their front three on every play rather than planned blitzes. When you play a good QB like the Patriots have, it is hard to bring him down with the ball. A lot of the pressure the 49ers put on the QB shows up in the low passing yards allowed per game (only Pittsburgh has done better) rather than in bringing down the QB.

Sacks are kind of like the icing on the cake. The meat is the pressure that causes the QB to throw the ball away or try to force something that ends up getting intercepted.

Pretty sure you're looking at the sacks allowed stat...

For those who understand the simple, basic, fundamental, and rudimentary fact that QuarterBack Excellence is best assessed in terms of who is best at doing the things ~ Making & Executing Decisions ~ that elevate your chances of ~ Oh, I don't know ~ winning Championships...there is a very short list, I think:

~ Otto Graham
~ Joe Montana
~ Tom Brady

You could certainly make a strong Argument for:

~ Sammy Baugh
~ Johny Unitas
~ Bart Starr
~ Bobby Layne
~ John Elway

But that's about it, isn't it?

A great Passer...does not make a great QuarterBack.

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows
Thanks for playing the role of Wes Welker. There's the door. RT @caplannfl: 49ers released WR Chad Hall from their practice squad.
Retweeted by shalise manza young

Pretty sure you're looking at the sacks allowed stat...

Yeah, the NFL site puts them under defense for some reason.

Tied for 10th with Seattle with 32. The league leader is Cincinnati with 43. There is a low standard deviation with that stat, so I am not sure how useful a statistic it is.

5fkq6o.png

wow at houston..and SF isn't that great on that list either...

Not sure what you are passing that on.

Yards/Game 2011 2012
Total 308.2 275.5
Rushing 77.3 90.8
Passing 230.9 184.7

Points/Game 14.3 14.2

Compared to last year, our defense is allowing less yards per game. The only weakness is being slightly worse at stopping the rush, but more than making up for it in stopping the pass.

Furthermore, compared to last year, we are playing a much tougher schedule and playing in one of the best divisions (although to be fair, we have three other defensive teams in our division, not offensive powerhouses) instead one of the worst divisions, so no question that our defense is better this year than last.

And yes, knock out hits are rare. Obviously if we were knocking out running backs and receivers every game the NFL would probably have to modify the rules, because concussions are serious business. However, the hit was not a fluke. It was the type of hard hitting tackles our guys do, so a few KOs a year are expected the same way that the turnovers were expected due to Brees airing out the ball.

I think your wrong on this, your rush was not the only problem when we ran these figures before our game you are clearly not a better defence than last year, but let me know if you want that proved. ok
Im not sure you want that done here.

Something I've gathered from 49ers fans is that they're great in prime time!! Oh unless they play a comparable opponent to the Patriots which was the Giants who beat them. But I mean their best game this season was a beat down of the Bears!!! But Jason Campbell was the QB for da Bears.

I think the focus of concern is in the wrong place. The Patriots OL has been overall consistently good (at least, mostly, for some weeks now). Even if the 9ers get to TFB during a stretch or two of the game, chances are promising that the Patriots will adjust and find a way to give TFB the time (or specific plays) needed to get some scores. What are the chances that the Patriots are not going to score at least 20? The last time we scored under 20 was in September (18 vs AZ). Hey, anything can happen but how many people would bet under 20 for the Patriots even against a good D such as the 9ers?

The focus of concern/worry is the 9er's rushing game versus the Patriots' rushing D. Looking at what little history their is of the CK lead 9ers (looking at the 4 games vs Chi, NO, Rams, Phins), CK has thrown for 3 TDs and is throwing completions less frequently than average (not that he is throwing a lot of incompletions - he just isn't throwing the ball as frequently as average). And with lower TD passes than average and lower completion totals than average, unless CK is going to score more points through the air than he has ever done in his brief career as a starter, this Patriot team that likely scores 20+ will win or lose on how well they play against the 9er rushing offense.

5 pm Dec 16 36°F Rain / Snow Showers

FEELS LIKE:28°

HUMIDITY:82%

PRECIP:60%

WIND: E at 12 mph

6 pm 36° Light Rain

HUMIDITY:85%

PRECIP:70%

WIND:E at 12 mph

7 pm 36° Light Rain

HUMIDITY:85%

8 pm 36°Light Rain

HUMIDITY:89%

9 pm 36°Light Rain

10 pm 37°Light Rain

FEELS LIKE:29°

WIND:E at 13 mph

11 pm 37°Light Rain

FEELS LIKE:29°

12 am Dec 17 38° Rain

FEELS LIKE:30°

1 am 39° Rain

FEELS LIKE: 31°

HUMIDITY: 89%

WIND:ENE at 13 mph

Weather report for Foxborough tonight as of 10:46 am. Yes, snowy mix at 5pm then it gets warmer as the night progresses.

To the 49ers fans -

You guys are taking it to us so far (halftime). I've got to be up early and am going to bed, still hoping we'll turn it around in the 2nd half, but congrats on coming out firing and executing well. Your D is awesome. No sour grapes - so far you've clearly outplayed us. I'll be eager to find out how the 2nd half goes when I wake up.

MC

the 49's scare me for one reason.

CK is Tebow, but a better runner, and with the ability to actually throw a good pass.

look back last year at the broncos game, in the first quarter the broncos put up 200+ rushing yards, but eventually the pats solved teh puzzle, shut em down and blew em out.

What worries me is what happens after the pats switch to containing the QB option, CK can throw to Crabtree, moss, and vernon davis.

If the 49 offense gets on a role they have enough weapons to really hurt a team.

That does not even take into account that they have a player who will be playing for the NFL sack record.

fairly accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back