PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs Jets very early thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Clearly the biggest game of the season for both teams.So what do you think about this game and what needs to happen for the pats

a)I think defensively pats should be much better than the last time we played them.We got caught with subruns but this time they will be ready. The young defense is a bit more comfortable now and i expect BB to introduce a few more wrinkles the D can handle. I want to see some blitzes on sanchez because iam not 100% convinced he can can pick up blitzes all the time although he does practice against his own D which does blitz a lot.(The steelers game could be a good test for sanchez)
b)need to double/triple keller . He kills us all the damn time.
c)on offense , i think this will be a little more of challenge than the last 4-5 weeks .more like the cleveland game. The jets will be able to play lot of 1-1 press coverage on our WR with revis and cromartie unlike the steelers with the zone blitzes and the colts with an average D. The ability of wes/deion to get open will be the biggest key to the game. If the can get open, the jets D has given more passing yards this yr than last yr. Dont think pats will be run much on them at least initially but fred taylor back should help along with mankins being around this time.
d)Been impressed with the jets special teams. Their kicker has his moments but their punt and kickoff coverage is very good and ours has actually regressed. Gost missing hasnt helped. I think this could be a big factor between close teams.

Overall,playing @home should be to our advantage even though the jets have won on the road so be loud everyone !

We are very different, both on offense and defense, than the last time we played them.

I liked how we handled the Colts speedy defense with a great mix of 3 step fast releases to the slant, a good run game, draw game, and spread short to intermediate routes. I think if we continue a variation of this same blueprint, it will spell doom for the one-gapping aggressive schemes of the Jets D.

The Jets have shown a propensity for slow starts, and have done so the past few games. We must capitalize on this; explode out of the gates and never look back.

I think its pretty simple and has been pretty simple for the patriots all season.

If the Jets turn the ball over the patriots win, if they don't the Jets win.

I bet Sanchez throws a few picks and the pats come out in a close one.

I think its pretty simple and has been pretty simple for the patriots all season.

If the Jets turn the ball over the patriots win, if they don't the Jets win.

I bet Sanchez throws a few picks and the pats come out in a close one.

You got it. Sanchez performance is the key. Glad to see he struggled last night. Give him something to think about. He doesn't have the experience playing it it. But, we've had a very mild fall season this year. It's an intangible. But, the worse the weather is. The better for us. Wouldn't mind a cold, windy night Dec 6th.

I am worried about which ever receiver McCourty isn't covering. I think the Pats pass rush will get to Sanchez a few times and force him into making some bad passes, which will be intercepted.

Hopefully the O will be able to move the ball better this time around and get into the endzone instead of kicking FG's.

The Pats have to play the Jets the same way they played the Steelers.. Contain Sanchez in the pocket. Cover Keller, Holmes, Edwards.

I pray that the D-line will be healthy. We need Wright, Pryor, and/Or Deaderick back. Preferably, all 3.

Spread the ball around, making sure to use the TEs and RBs..

I think the key to this game will fall on the te's and woody coming out of the backfield on the hot reads, because we know they're going to bring pressure. The wr's will be limited because of the jets more than able corners. I also dont know how much tate will play this game based on his performance last game and a couple other games. Sucks because i had high hopes for him, but a reciever that cant catch the ball is as useless as bringing your wife to vegas

From a Jets perspective, it is all about the tight ends and woody. I think Revis and Cromartie can effectively slow down Welker and Branch. Maybe not shut down, but keep them from being game changers.

All you have to look at is what tight ends have done to the Jets this year. Our backers are big, physical run stuffers but they really struggle with coverage. And Leonard, as much as I like him, just isn't big enough to stick a Gronk/Hernandez type.

I expect the Pats to run a modified hurry-up limiting our sub packages, and rolling with woodhead and double tights. Pats will split them and then motion into run plays when needed.

With Brady's accuracy, I would think this would allow the Patriots to control the ball/clock and pick at the Jets defense 5-7yds at a time.

As for the Jets, they need to attack early and often/ Running the ball 35times wont cut it. They have to figure they need 28+ to win

Recent games Jets covering Tight Ends makes very little sense. They are going to have to score, and alot.

the jets defense will do a better job than the steelers defense. The steelers cant play man to man against good passing teams because their corners just cant do it alone, so brady just figured out their zones and picked them apart. I would expect to see Cromartie on branch, and revis on welker, or wilson and a linebacker on welker with revis moving around on either tightend or whoever gets hot on the pats offense. If you rememebr back in week 2 the jets barely blitzed brady, especially after Revis left the game and they only got to him at the end of the game with J. taylors sack fumble.

on offense i have a feeling the jets are going to come out firing using the pass to set up the run. The pats havent seen holmes yet, so the jets will have Braylon, Santonio, Cotchery, Keller, and LT on the field at the same time when they go to pass.

The last time we played, our rookie defense and rookies on offense had 1 regular season's game worth of experience. When we play the Jets, they will have had 11 games worth. :singing:

1. Is JETS "D" as good as every JETS fans say they are?
2. They blitz a lot. Is that a sign of Great "D" to have to blitz on 50% downs to get pass rush?
3. Can we beat their blitzes and move the ball effectively?
4. Is Brady's foot good enough to beat the JETS?
5. Did we figure how to stop aggressive "D" for the first time this year after 2007 super bowl? We have beat speed rushing and blitz heavy defenses with great DL and LBs (Colts and Steelers). The impressive manner in which we are moving the ball be it Steelers or Colts or Lions does bode well for us.
6. Is Damien Woody (High ankle sprain) going to play? Will we have an advantage if he does not play?

Last edited:
The Pats 42/24 nickel has used Arrington, Chung and McCourty in man with Sanders and Meriweather playing 2-deep. The linebackers are typically Guyton and Mayo.

How does that package match up against Holmes, Edwards, Keller and Cotchery?

How does the secondary match up with Butler added as a dime back?

Will Wilhite return, and what impact will he have?

ETA: Rewatching the first game, the Jets first offensive play was a seam route to Keller, who absolutely torched Spikes in coverage. Hence, I expect more Guyton.

Last edited:
From a Jets perspective, it is all about the tight ends and woody. I think Revis and Cromartie can effectively slow down Welker and Branch. Maybe not shut down, but keep them from being game changers.

All you have to look at is what tight ends have done to the Jets this year. Our backers are big, physical run stuffers but they really struggle with coverage. And Leonard, as much as I like him, just isn't big enough to stick a Gronk/Hernandez type.

I expect the Pats to run a modified hurry-up limiting our sub packages, and rolling with woodhead and double tights. Pats will split them and then motion into run plays when needed.

With Brady's accuracy, I would think this would allow the Patriots to control the ball/clock and pick at the Jets defense 5-7yds at a time.

As for the Jets, they need to attack early and often/ Running the ball 35times wont cut it. They have to figure they need 28+ to win

I have not seen how the Jets have evolved this season. Are they any better at this point in the season than when we first played them? If so, how so? I have not seen anything noteworthy, but think you would know much more about this than I do.

if anything rex found out in game one was to blitz less and play coverage. once that happened brady didnt have anywhere to go and missed some throws. hopefully with woody in the backfield they can do quick handoffs against nickel defenses

Gronk and Hernandez will be the key against the Jets!

With Revis and Cromartie occupying the WRs i think the Jets lack good coverage over the middle....Hernandez and Gronk are both to big and physical for Kyle Wilson!

As of right now, Im gonna say

Pats 28
Jets 17

A couple of things;

-Sanchez has thrown a lot of passes this year that should have been picked. It is the luck of the draw. Last year, they would have been picked, this year they haven't. The Pats are very opportune this year and may be likely to pick off Sanchez a time or three.
- Since the last time the Pats have played the Jets, their running game and defense has been inconsistent at best. I might even say their running game has fallen apart. No one is talking about the "rejuvinated" Tomlinson. Shonn Greene has been more like the inconsistent RB he was last regular season and not the powerhouse that exploded in the playoffs. The defense have let a lot of QBs far inferior to Brady score points in bunches.
- The Jets' passing attack can be explosive, but is also very inconsistent. Sanchez still cannot complete at least 60% of his passes and they can go 2-3 quarters with very little production a game.
- The Pats' offense is hitting its stride and is a bad match up for the Jets defense. Their defense is far better suited to defend the Pats with Moss where Revis can take him one on one a lot of the time and they can send extra rushers at Brady while Brady needs an extra second or two for Moss to get down the field. Now they gotta defend multiple guys and neither Revis nor Cromartie's strong suit is to defend quick, shifty WR rather than the big fast vertical threats. With all the weapons, the Jets also will have problems sending a lot of blitzes because if they don't get to Brady quickly, he will have an open receiver or two. Kyle Wilson (or even one of their oher back up CBs) and/or the Jets' safeties vs. Welker or one of the TEs is also a mismatch in the Pats' favor.

I am not predicting a blowout or even a win at this point, but I like the Pats' chances next Monday night. I think the match ups favor the Pats in a lot of ways.

1. Is JETS "D" as good as every JETS fans say they are?

It depends. Some Jets fans admit their defense is nowhere as good as it was last year. The ones in denial about this are way off.

2. They blitz a lot. Is that a sign of Great "D" to have to blitz on 50% downs to get pass rush?

The Jets aren't putting pressure on the QB much more than the Pats right now. In fact, that might be the reason the Jets' defense is not nearly as good as it was last year.

3. Can we beat their blitzes and move the ball effectively?

Contrary to popular belief, Brady usually picks apart teams that blitz him. His quick release and ability to quickly find the open man usually plays into the weakness of the blitz. Brady has problems with teams that can pressure him with a 4 man rush like the Giants did in the Super Bowl.

4. Is Brady's foot good enough to beat the JETS?

After yesterday, I think this question is irrelevant especially with four days off and a long week.

5. Did we figure how to stop aggressive "D" for the first time this year after 2007 super bowl? We have beat speed rushing and blitz heavy defenses with great DL and LBs (Colts and Steelers). The impressive manner in which we are moving the ball be it Steelers or Colts or Lions does bode well for us.

As I stated above, the Giants got to Brady very differently than the Jets get to the QB. Brady has problems with a strong 4 man rush that can get to him, not the blitz. With a four man rush, there are still 7 guys in coverage. With a blitz, there are 5-6 guys in coverage. With only 5-6 guys in coverage and a lot of quick receivers who can get open quickly, Brady can take advantage of mismatches. This is a game where the loss of Moss and the addition of Branch is clearly an advantage.

6. Is Damien Woody (High ankle sprain) going to play? Will we have an advantage if he does not play?

Woody played last night. So I will say no.

Last edited:
I want to see Danny Woodhead have the game of his life against his former team that pretty much never game him a chance to make it.

It depends. Some Jets fans admit their defense is nowhere as good as it was last year. The ones in denial about this are way off.

The Jets aren't putting pressure on the QB much more than the Pats right now. In fact, that might be the reason the Jets' defense is not nearly as good as it was last year.

Contrary to popular belief, Brady usually picks apart teams that blitz him. His quick release and ability to quickly find the open man usually plays into the weakness of the blitz. Brady has problems with teams that can pressure him with a 4 man rush like the Giants did in the Super Bowl.

After yesterday, I think this question is irrelevant especially with four days off and a long week.

As I stated above, the Giants got to Brady very differently than the Jets get to the QB. Brady has problems with a strong 4 man rush that can get to him, not the blitz. With a four man rush, there are still 7 guys in coverage. With a blitz, there are 5-6 guys in coverage. With only 5-6 guys in coverage and a lot of quick receivers who can get open quickly, Brady can take advantage of mismatches. This is a game where the loss of Moss and the addition of Branch is clearly an advantage.

Woody played last night. So I will say no.
the jets played coverage in the 2nd half of the 1st game and it gave brady trouble.iam sure rex will go back to that

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes