PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats unconvincing says Jerome Bettis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
On the NBC pregame/highlights show Bettis said we struggled against Buffalo and let a bad Jets team back into the game so our 2-0 record is deceiving. Finally Bettis said he doesn't know if the Pats can make the playoffs.

Sterling Sharpe also said Brady could be struggling because he isn't confident with his new, slower WR's.

Make of that what you will.

Sterling Sharpe - 1
Jerome Bettis - 0

I heard that comment on NBC also.

Jerome Bettis has been dominated by the Pats in so many important games. I can't imagine he'll say anything very positive of the Pats ever.

BradyisGod said:
Sterling Sharpe - 1
Jerome Bettis - 0

Actually, they both get -1 points for being idiots.

Seymour93 said:
On the NBC pregame/highlights show Bettis said we struggled against Buffalo and let a bad Jets team back into the game so our 2-0 record is deceiving. Finally Bettis said he doesn't know if the Pats can make the playoffs.

Sterling Sharpe also said Brady could be struggling because he isn't confident with his new, slower WR's.

Although what he says is true, he should know it doesn't mean anything.

We won, that's what matters.

Our receivers are different than Branch. Branch is quick, these guys are big and fast. It's going to take a few games.

Big Fatty really needs Bruschi to stuff him on a few more 3rd and 4th downs to get some perspective.

They won one in this century and it was the worst Super Bowl ever played, probably.

wait slower WR's? Jackson, Gabriel, Caldwell are all faster than Branch and Givens.

RayClay said:
Although what he says is true, he should know it doesn't mean anything.

We won, that's what matters.

Our receivers are different than Branch. Branch is quick, these guys are big and fast. It's going to take a few games.

Big Fatty really needs Bruschi to stuff him on a few more 3rd and 4th downs to get some perspective.

They won one in this century and it was the worst Super Bowl ever played, probably.

I like where you're going here.

It is an issue of seperation.

When Branch was open, 80% of the time he was wide open. Always had at least a 5 yard cushion due to his quicks in the breaks.

With these bigger guys we have now, it's a much tighter cushion and you have to depend on their strength and height to make catches.

Brady may not be comfortable making those tosses.

Nice theory. I like it.

desi-patsfan said:
wait slower WR's? Jackson, Gabriel, Caldwell are all faster than Branch and Givens.

Yeah that comment had me a little confused...but then I remembered that Sharpe is a moron so it all made sense.

Seymour93 said:

I heard that as well.

He suggested they wouldn't make the playoffs.

Does he realize the two teams they just beat are in the division, and the other team has yet to win?

Wonder what he thought about Pittsburgs win.

Especially when the Bills defense looked much better against the pHins then the Steelers did!

Didn't Buffalo go out and beat the pants off the team they picked to win the AFC East? Maybe they aren't such a bad team after all.

Even in years when the other AFC East teams are clearly inferior, our division games are always tight.

Last edited:
I think he's right to some extent...except that Belichick is building this offense from the ground up. Every year Belichick has done this right up to game 6...it happens every year.

since Belichick came here I have always looked at the 1st 6 games as a bonus for every win because he gameplans to build the team and win at the same time...dancing with the devil so to speak.

We think the defense let down the 2nd half...but maybe he was working on some different things...it's not unreasonable...it's what he always has done the first 6 games.

As good as we are now we will be better next month...we'll have our lapses...all teams do...but we will be better and more consistent for all 4 quaters and not just 2 or 3.

every year pats play different week to week...we defeated cleveland once 9-6 and the beat indy 37-34 or something one yr...thats the strength of the team..i.e. not to look good while winning and then be there at the end...this is reason people never pick NE to win even in the past because the pats are never flashy or convincing but end up winning...although i wouldve liked the last 2 to be a bit better..;)

F.B.N. said:
I think he's right to some extent...except that Belichick is building this offense from the ground up. Every year Belichick has done this right up to game 6...it happens every year.

since Belichick came here I have always looked at the 1st 6 games as a bonus for every win because he gameplans to build the team and win at the same time...dancing with the devil so to speak.

We think the defense let down the 2nd half...but maybe he was working on some different things...it's not unreasonable...it's what he always has done the first 6 games.

As good as we are now we will be better next month...we'll have our lapses...all teams do...but we will be better and more consistent for all 4 quaters and not just 2 or 3.

Belichick teams have improved in the 2nd half of the season every year except that 9 and 7 season. There is absolutely no reason this won't happen again this year.

I can't wait till Brady throws for 300 yards with 3 TDs just so the negative nancies of the broadcasting world can STFU about Branch and all. Of course having a new receiver corps is going to affect the guy.

This is week 2. Last season, we didn't start playing well until about week 13, and guess what, the only thing that stopped us from another run at a Super Bowl was a couple dumb turnovers and a few brutal calls.

If we don't peak until week 10, so be it. By the end of the year, Brady will be Brady, and Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel and Reche Caldwell are going to be a formidable group.

One thing people overlooked is the fact that Mangini knows the Pats offensive system better than anyone in the league (other than RAC) and he should be able to game plan for Brady better as well. Either way take away one of the craziest TD's I have ever seen and a horrible display of tackling and the game is a blowout.

What the Pats need to do is put together 2 good halves of football.

First Tim Brown, now Jerome Bettis. I guess Mike Golic is the only Domer without his head stuck up his own ass.

QuinielaBox said:
Belichick teams have improved in the 2nd half of the season every year except that 9 and 7 season. There is absolutely no reason this won't happen again this year.

Even that season, the Pats started looking better at the end of the year, and most people seemed to expect a decent playoff run before Green Bay screwed the pooch. Still, that team was doomed by a bad defensive line, plain and simple, and not much was going to improve the fact that Steve Martin was starting for the team. This team, on the other hand, is absolutely loaded along both lines, and throughout the roster, and absolutely will improve.

This game was a solid win, close to a blow-out, on the road. Pats were minus-2 on the takeaways, had a FG blocked, had a very weird TD score on them ... and still were never in real danger. This ain't college ... you don't get extra BCS points for winning big.

2-0. That's all that matters. Let the Colts run up big style points in September ... we'll see how this all turns out.

I really like this Pats team.

Bettis ... bleh.

QuinielaBox said:

As BB always says the most important part of the season is from Thanksgiving on that really determines what your season will be.

If you don't believe it ask the Colts.:D

PlattsFan said:
This game was a solid win, close to a blow-out, on the road. Pats were minus-2 on the takeaways, had a FG blocked, had a very weird TD score on them ... and still were never in real danger. This ain't college ... you don't get extra BCS points for winning big.

2-0. That's all that matters. Let the Colts run up big style points in September ... we'll see how this all turns out.

I really like this Pats team.

Bettis ... bleh.

Yeah, the J E T S did get some lucky breaks late in the 3rd qtr. When push came to shove, though, we drove the ball down the J E T S throat and should have gone for it on 4th and short and simply killed the clock. I was surprised Belichick sent out the FG team, I really was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back