Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

September 5, 2007
Pats workouts
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots worked out six players at Gillette Stadium on Wednesday. The workouts are likely to keep the team's emergency lists fresh.

Players in for workouts included:

Jerametrius Butler (DB) -- Played for the Rams from 2001-2006, entering the league as a fifth-round draft choice out of Kansas State.

Sammy Davis (CB) -- Played for the Chargers (2003-2005) and 49ers (2006), entering the NFL as a first-round draft choice out of Texas A&M.

DeJuan Groce (CB) -- Played for the Rams (2003-2005) and Saints (2006), entering the NFL as a fourth-round pick out of Nebraska.

Bhawoh Jue (S) -- Played for the Packers (2001-2004) and Chargers (2005-2006) after joining the NFL as a third-round pick out of Penn State.

Dexter McCleon (CB) -- Longtime veteran has played for the Rams (1997-2002), Chiefs (2003-2005) and Texans (2006). At 33, the oldest of the players in for workouts.

Kyle Johnson (FB) -- Former Syracuse product suited up for the Broncos from 2004-2006.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 09:30:39 PM

All were released by their respective teams (Redskins, 49ers, Saints, Chargers, Texans, Broncos) within the past week.

Was hoping they'd take a look at Jue. Looked really good every time I saw him in 2005. Not sure how bad his injury was last year.

Go 'Cuse!

Hope we sign Kyle Johnson. He was actually a solid FB for the Broncos. Likely made expendable when they decided to move Mike Bell to FB.

He's a good short yardage back from what I remember. IMO, a slight upgrade from Evans.

Go 'Cuse!

Hope we sign Kyle Johnson. He was actually a solid FB for the Broncos. Likely made expendable when they decided to move Mike Bell to FB.

He's a good short yardage back from what I remember. IMO, a slight upgrade from Evans.

Yeah, having Kyle Johnson around could really be a nice help to Maroney.

Kyle Johnson is the only intriguing player I see. But is it worth the chance to bring him in over Evans at this point?

I think Evans has made this team enough not to get replaced.

What, no former Jets?

Sammy Davis Jr!

Jue, Davis, McCleon, and Butler are all recognizable names. McCleon was even a good player at one point!

Butler - good for Rams till he got hurt 1 year and never did anything after

Davis - hes got speed and height but cant put it together in game. im sure if he was just asked to run and cover hed be fine but his mental part of game is very questionable. that might make him hard to sign since we usually go for smarter CBs(no i dont mean IQ..i mean recognizing plays, reading routes)

Groce - ST player mostly.

Jue - decent cover man...has played CB and FS

McLeon - McDone

Johnson - interested. he can run and catch ..not sure how his blocking is but Evans is fine right now but i can see some competition maybe(little late for competition maybe)

Kyle Johnson is the only intriguing player I see. But is it worth the chance to bring him in over Evans at this point?

I think Evans has made this team enough not to get replaced.

How do you know Johnson won't be brought in as a backup? Or insurance in case Evans gets hurt, because then you're looking at Sammy Morris as the FB. He has experience there but his role is to spell Maroney.

Evans is a definite on this team and if he gets injured the guy they bring in will be named Kyle, but his last name is just as likely going to be Eckel as it is Johnson.

Evans is a definite on this team and if he gets injured the guy they bring in will be named Kyle, but his last name is just as likely going to be Eckel as it is Johnson.

Kyle Johnson is a pro. Eckel is a taxi squader, no more no less.

Could be they aren't looking to have him replace Evans at all. Perhaps he's a G Mills substitute?

why a CB...Samuel not ready to go??? I wonder....

why a CB...Samuel not ready to go??? I wonder....

With the injury bug for the past couple seasons seemingly hitting our secondary the hardest, I think it's a smart move to see what some of these FA's have left in the tank, in case we need them down the line.

Terry

With the injury bug for the past couple seasons seemingly hitting our secondary the hardest, I think it's a smart move to see what some of these FA's have left in the tank, in case we need them down the line.

Terry

Exactly. This is SOP for Belichick & Pioli. Free agents get brought in for a work out, and probably to see how they grasp the playbook. From all of these tryouts, Belichick keeps a list of people to call in case of injury. Testaverde, Mickens, Hawkins, Stone, etc. all came in similarly.

Kyle Johnson is interesting in that he's got three years behind that Denver zone blocking scheme.

Wow, Sammy Davis was a 1st round draft pick in 2003. I don't know how well he played in SD, but his stats aren't too impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots