PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade undisclosed 2010 pick to Bucs for TE Alex Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyle Brady never worked out but I think BB had high hopes for that position especially for blocking. Great trade! Red Zone Te is exactly what we need,I'm psyched:D

Yep yep also keep in mind Kyle Brady wasn't 26 when we signed him ;)

Oh there's plenty for her to report on ! Wow, how easy would that job be if all you did was report this kind of stuff. Their jobs are to go deeper into story, even a little speculation and opinions.

I tend to agree with you, but according to SMY twitter makes her useless.

Last edited:
can some one explain to me why people in this thread want to get rid of watson?

as far as i know there is no better TE we can just go pickup, and hell i always thought he was a pretty damn good player
It doesn't even make sense. Smith will count $1.55 million vs. the cap this year. Watson $900K. Even if Watson saves $449K if cut, you still added $1 million to the cap by acquiring Smith. I doubt that cap issues was the motivation. Adding more competition was. And for the extra $449 it costs to carry Watson, chump change, its worth it for the added camp competition of 4 established NFL players for 3 spots.

J D Sal

Patriots have some really good depth at TE now. What was it last season, Watson and Thomas? Smith adds some nice depth with a rotation of Watson, Baker and Thomas. Pretty good if you ask me. However, I was hoping the Pats would make a play for Sheffler because he is a really good receiving TE.

Last edited:
K.C. is stealing our scouts. Why not our players also? Watson

to K.C. for a 7th round conditional pick?

I hope that is a joke and it just went over my head ???

It doesn't even make sense. Smith will count $1.55 million vs. the cap this year. Watson $900K. Even if Watson saves $449K if cut, you still added $1 million to the cap by acquiring Smith. I doubt that cap issues was the motivation. Adding more competition was. And for the extra $449 it costs to carry Watson, chump change, its worth it for the added camp competition of 4 established NFL players for 3 spots.

J D Sal

I think that with Moss, Welker, Tom Brady, Corey Dillon etc., that some fans here aren't willing to settle for good but not great players in "skill" positions. If you look at the venom for Maroney, Watson and Gaffney last year it seems like any player who isn't in the pro bowl is immediately a pariah on this board.

I am not sure it means a player is gone...for one, I think for now it's insurance of having 3 heathy ones and they may indeed keep four, using one in the backfield. OR one could be traded or might not make it. I tend to think as some that Baker is safe and that the pressure is more on Thomas. .although he is far different a tight end..being more a receiving one. Very interesting with Listori and DeVree in the fold as well. Might one of these develop in time or camp fodder.

I think we might go from below average at tight end to possibly above average (from adding both Baker and Smith). Whoever makes the team will have earned it. BB wants good blockers for our TB. and we know how important that is.

Does Carolina need a TE?

That's the first thing that popped into my head. "Maybe Watson's going to Carolina as part of a Peppers' deal". Smith is supposed to be a very good blocking TE, which the Pats haven't really had since Graham..I don't really count Brady.

I'm not sure a TE needs to be much of a receiver to play here.
They don't seem to throw that way much anyhow.
But a guy who can REALLY block, well, he could turn out to be a pretty useful guy to have around.

Last edited:
I wonder if they might trade Watson or Thomas? Anything is possible.

But a guy who can REALLY block, well, he could turn out to be a pretty useful guy to have around.

Exactly. The RZ was an issue last year too. I wonder if they'll keep all the TEs or not?

Totally agree. Truth is : TE here is better used a blocker. None of the TEs in BB era were that outstanding numbers-wise. One year, I remember Graham gettig some key TDs, but since Watson has never been a "feature" guy, I can't see others playing that role either. Get some blockers to keep TFB clean and dump it off to them as a surprise play once or twice a game.

To be honest, I don't care who goes... even Alex Smith... get 'em to fight it out at TC and whoever wins is fine with me.

So:

Watson
Baker
Smith

Thomas to Kansas City

sounds about right, given that Denver's tight end position is stocked better than New England's. Thomas has never impressed me, but Pioli might be willing to give him a shot, considering how bad that K.C. tight end position is now that T.G. is gone.

Last edited:
Please, don't tease me like that.

I didn't see the Hobbs or Vrabel trade coming. I didn't think that we needed another tightend. Now we have another guy who will compete for a starting job. It will not surprise me if one of Watson or Thomas are traded, but those guys better STEP UP when they come to camp. They have some competition.

Fits what they've done with their TEs the last couple of years, in that he's a good blocker. I think it's going to be a struggle for David Thomas to make the roster now.

Watson, Baker, Smith. Nice looking group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes