PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade undisclosed 2010 pick to Bucs for TE Alex Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
My money's on Thomas. When the most notable play of your 3-year Patriots career is a late hit that probably cost us the game against the Colts (and, thus, the playoffs), it can't be good for your chances to make the cut.

I seriously hope the Pats wouldn't trade a guy based on one play.

I know it's unlikely, but is it completely out of the realm of possibility that the Pats keep four tight ends? Especially if two of them are counted on for special teams?

My money's on Thomas. When the most notable play of your 3-year Patriots career is a late hit that probably cost us the game against the Colts (and, thus, the playoffs), it can't be good for your chances to make the cut.

I love Thomas, but outside of a few flashes his rookie year, he's been a major disappointment. (Funny about that class -- both Cjax & DT showed such promise, yet never fulfilled ...)

I recall Alex Smith similarly had a strong rookie year in Tampa, then basically disappeared. I know TB acquired the Walking Human Excrement that is Jerramy Stevens (for those who haven't, google "jerramy stevens seattle times" for the lovely details) and they ended up splitting time.

But I think Smith eventually fell into Gruden's capricious doghouse and never emerged.

Alex Smith looks like a back up, but trading a draft pick.. inquiring minds want to know???

So who is the odd man out? Thomas, Watson, Baker and now Smith. One's got to go.

To be cut well that would be Thomas, to be traded possibly well that's unknown but its definitely not Baker or Smith! :D

I know it's unlikely, but is it completely out of the realm of possibility that the Pats keep four tight ends? Especially if two of them are counted on for special teams?

It is possible.

Baker is not getting cut. Signed thru 2013 and cutting him would increase the cap hit (not by much only 60K)

Both Thomas and Watson contract expire 2009. But not much cap saving by cutting Thomas $74K.

Watson we save $449,440

Bye bye Watson.

They could, remember no FB on the roster at this point and I don't think they will sign one with all the one-back sets. When does Smith's deal run through? I really like him as a player, great move.

Oh **** yeah, now the TE position is looking deep.

I KNEW BB was going after a TE! That's why I was convinced that unmentionable draftee would be drafted for his TE skills before he transitioned to OLB. It's almost as good as my binky:p but not really.

Someone's going, but who.

Tampa Bay traded for Kellen Winslow before the draft, so between him and Jeremy Stevens the Bucs didn't have much of a need for Alex Smith. Apparently it's only a 6th or 7th next year so it's not like the Pats are giving up much for him. I guess it will come down to Smith versus Thomas for a roster spot.

It is possible.

Baker is not getting cut. Signed thru 2013 and cutting him would increase the cap hit (not by much only 60K)

Both Thomas and Watson contract expire 2009. But not much cap saving by cutting Thomas $74K.

Watson we save $449,440

Bye bye Watson.
I doubt it. What do they REALLY need less than half a million for? I am sure they could create the room easily for that low amount just by guaranteeing a small salary. You don't cut guys for that little a cap amount. Just use him for his last season (assuming he earns it in camp) and then let him walk. Why cut him?

J D Sal

I seriously hope the Pats wouldn't trade a guy based on one play.

I seriously hope they DO...I didnt sleep for 2 days because of that penalty! AND that game is on this weekend if you think I overreacted so you can see it for yourself!

The book is out on Smith: He's an excellent blocking tight end with decent receiving skills. In fact, Smith has exactly three touchdowns in each of his last three seasons, but his reception totals have declined annually since entering the league in 2005. The Patriots might use him as a blocker and red-zone target, though the acquisition is strange since the club already has Benjamin Watson and Chris Baker on staff.

Bill Belichick loves his tight ends. Smith is a well-round player, not unlike recent signee Chris Baker,who can block and catch a little. He'll compete for snaps with Baker and Ben Watson. Don't expect any of them to provide fantasy value, but the depth will allow New England to use two end sets more often.

Selected in the third round (71st overall) by Tampa Bay in the 2005 NFL Draft.

His father, Edwin, was the first Bahamas native to play in the NFL.

Some info from multiple sites I like the part about blocking :D

I seriously hope they DO...I didnt sleep for 2 days because of that penalty! AND that game is on this weekend if you think I overreacted so you can see it for yourself!

It is that kinda of mentality why Bill Buckner is equated with Boston sports fans being a-holes.

They could, remember no FB on the roster at this point and I don't think they will sign one with all the one-back sets. When does Smith's deal run through? I really like him as a player, great move.

Great point.

FYI: 2009: $1.55 million, 2010: Free Agent

So I wonder if a new contract is the in the works otherwise we got 3 TEs whose contracts expire next year.

Some info from multiple sites I like the part about blocking :D

Kyle Brady never worked out but I think BB had high hopes for that position especially for blocking. Great trade! Red Zone Te is exactly what we need,I'm psyched:D

can some one explain to me why people in this thread want to get rid of watson?

as far as i know there is no better TE we can just go pickup, and hell i always thought he was a pretty damn good player

Last edited:
K.C. is stealing our scouts. Why not our players also? Watson

to K.C. for a 7th round conditional pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back