PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade LeKevin Smith to Broncos [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latter, I think. With the likes of KC and Cleveland ahead of them, Denver would have had almost no shot -- plus this way they get him in the fold with several extra weeks to work into the defense.

You're probably right. So, for today, if several of you are correct and LeKevin was to eventually be cut, we just gave up a 7th round pick for a 4th and 5th. Oh, I sure can spin with the best of them. :)

Seriously, pretty decent move overall. Nice to have that 4th round pick back.

I just checked a Broncos forum, and they are a bit hit or miss with this.

Alot are asking 'who?'.

You're probably right. So, for today, if several of you are correct and LeKevin was to eventually be cut, we just gave up a 7th round pick for a 4th and 5th. Oh, I sure can spin with the best of them. :)

Seriously, pretty decent move overall. Nice to have that 4th round pick back.

You should run for office.

Broncos acquired DL Le Kevin Smith and a 2010 seventh-round pick from the Patriots in exchange for a 2010 fifth-round pick.
Win-win great job guys!

I just checked a Broncos forum, and they are a bit hit or miss with this.

Alot are asking 'who?'.

If they knew who the good DL were they would need to trade for one. I think they will be pleasantly surprised.

Is Keegs a full-time member on the Broncos forum now?

Isn't the Pat's 7th round pick likely to be the last pick in the draft? It was just thrown in to make it look like Denver didn't trade a 5th for Smith straight up.... I doubt the last 1 or 2 picks in the draft have any meaningful value, so essentially we got a 5th for Smith... not too shabby

It would be if it weren't for compensatory picks.

If they knew who the good DL were they would need to trade for one. I think they will be pleasantly surprised.

The ones who do know who he is, said that he could be VERY good, and they hope he has learnt something off Seymour.

I agree, it wouldn't be at all surprising if we get another one and keep this one for ourselves, assuming we can pick and choose like that if we get more than one.

Absolutely...if the nuts and bolts of the Burgess deal work out that way. We don't know whether the Pats have to hand over the 5th as soon as they have it, or if they can wait until the draft time when the exact value of that pick will be known. If it's the latter, it would be a cinch to, say, trade the high 5th for a low 5th + future pick.

Absolutely...if the nuts and bolts of the Burgess deal work out that way. We don't know whether the Pats have to hand over the 5th as soon as they have it, or if they can wait until the draft time when the exact value of that pick will be known. If it's the latter, it would be a cinch to, say, trade the high 5th for a low 5th + future pick.
That's right, duh, we don't need another, we could just trade a highish #5 for a lower one and a #6 or so next year.

So, essentially, the Burgess trade ends up to be (for us):

a 3rd, a 7th and LeKevin Smith for Derrick Burgess

I would rather think.

we got Burgess for a 3rd and a 7th. Period

I believe LeKevin would not have made the Roster anyway.

This is not bad for a two time proBowler with still lots of football left
and under the coaching of BB.

Smith projected anywhere from fifth to seventh on the defensive line depth chart in New England, but could emerge as a frontline player in Denver.

That says it all right there. ;)

This is good. I was never high on Le Kevin Smith anyway and had projected him getting cut.

Let's give it up for LeKevin. I remember him in the SuperBowl against the Giants - the series that Woods lost the fumble - LeKevin looked pretty active in there. He may be the only Bronco DL with Super Bowl experience. Maybe he'll soften up Rivers for us.

QB12

Last edited:
Sorry to see him go. OTOH, it means that Prior has stepped up and we don't lose a 4th rounder.

I was reading a post here after the first preseason game. Somebody was rightfully slamming LeKevin Smith's performance, and summizing that he wouldn't make the team.

I agree that he wasn't going to make the team, which brings me to this question?

Did NE school Denver, getting something for somebody who would have been out there for free? Or, with the claiming process as it is, did it make sense for Denver to assure they got him by giving up a draft pick for him?

I bet my son that it's for a 5th round pick, and they square away the Raider situation.

LeKevin is going to be a good player for Denver. One preseason performance does not make a career. He played very well in REAL NFL REGULAR SEASON action. He's a good pickup.

LeKevin is going to be a good player for Denver. One preseason performance does not make a career. He played very well in REAL NFL REGULAR SEASON action. He's a good pickup.

I actually liked what I saw of him when he played, wish him well.

Re: Reiss: LeKevin Traded to Denver

Mayo - you do realize that Jarvis Moss is considering retirement right now, yes? And, reportedly, one of the reasons he's considering it is that he was having a miserable time trying to pick up the 3-4 defense as an OLB. Don't know if this is true or not. But, if he's considering retirement, then one has to question his heart.

Of course I realize it. But the league is full of players who struggled for one team and needed a change of scenary. Denver's defense is a mess, and transitioning to the 3-4 on a team new to it is different than transitioning on one of the most accomplished 3-4 defenses in the league. Anyone can get discouraged. People questioned Randy Moss' heart in Oakland, too. Jarvis Moss has rare size/speed and pass rushing talent, and I think it would be worth a shot.

I'm fine with Smith + a 7th rounder for Denver's 5th, which essentially gives us Derrick Burgess for a 3rd + a 7th rounder, as Smith would have been a likely cut on the 53 man roster anyway. But I would have been ok with a straight up trade for Moss too. I accept I am in a small minority on that one.

The Pats could have had Moss for nothing since he was an UFA for most of the offseason and only resigned with the Broncos because no one wanted him. Why would the Pats trade for a guy they could have signed off the street at any time?

I would rather have TBC. He has proven to be a pretty good situational pass rusher in the Pats' system. What has Moss done in the NFL other been a complete bust who considered retirement about a month ago? Moss has 3.5 career sacks, TBC had 5.5 in his last season with the Pats.

Rob, I'm pretty sure Moss signed a 5 year contract with Denver in 2007, so I don't see how he was a UFA this offseason. I think you're off on your facts, though I haven't looked it up. Denver considered cutting him and dangled him as trade bait, and he has considered retirement, but so far he hasn't been cut and is still on the Denver active roster. Why would the Pats trade for him? The same reason Denver traded for a LeKevin Smith, a guy the Pats would likely have cut in a month - to make sure they could secure his services, rather than risk losing out on him.

Again, I know I'm in a minority here. Just a thought. I'm fine with the trade as it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots