PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade 160 (5th) and 238 (7th) to Bucs for 153 (5th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: good write up here:

LOL, it's just a putrid pick for so many reasons. Not a big deal, just a 5th rounder, but still, from an organization that landed Brady, Andrews, Banta-Cain - variously useful players, all - it's pretty weak to draft a guy who:

1) was nowhere on anyone's radar whatsoever, even as a viable candidate for drafting.

2) while slated for S/T play, was not even talented enough to have a regular role on either side of the ball in collefe (IOW, was not a Willie Andrews or Larry Izzo, who actually PLAYED AT A HIGH LEVEL before becoming top S/T players in the NFL)

3) LEFT THE TEAM for awhile to run track.

4) WOULD DEFINITELY have been there in the 6th or 7th round, let alone later in the 5th, where we could've sat and waited for him.

It's not a big deal, it's just annoying to piss away draft picks when, in the past, you've been able to land diamonds in the rough that - when even BELICHICK didn't know - developed into something surprisingly useful.

Last edited:
You don;t get the way the Patriots operate. In a discussion with Jimmy Johnson years ago him and Belichick discussed targeting a player and go getting him and not be so concerned with adding draft picks to move up.

Honestly, how many players will make the team from the 4th to 7th round, there are not enough spots for these players so taking someone and holding an extra pick is STUPID if you can trade up to be sure to get the guy you want. Pissing way a pick would be sitting there and then having 1 other team also take a flyer on a special teams ace and then stuck with 2 draft picks that have less a chance to make your team than the one guy you could have easily traded up for. It's smart drafting, it's how they play the draft and it makes perfect sense.

Last year Hobbs was the only legitimate KO return guy and he's not doing it this year, Izzo is up there in years and was less effective last year, IF you get a top kick returner and top gunner for a 5th round pick it's a great draft pick. Seriously, who were they really going to get that would make a real impact? This is a guy that MIGHT make a real impact on the team next year as a 5th round pick and because you are pretty sure no one else will take him you can't just sit there and wait when you want the person. That would be dumb.

4) WOULD DEFINITELY have been there in the 6th or 7th round, let alone later in the 5th, where we could've sat and waited for him.

Obviously, they disagreed with you about that.

Do you have guess as to what information they overlooked that you were privy to?

Or... is it just possible that they had information which you were not privy to?

Obviously, they bothered to move from 160 to 153 for this pick. I mean, even if they took him at 160 and you thought it was a reach, you could claim at least that you know drafting better than the Pats. But they proactively made a trade to get this guy.

They want this guy, and they didn't think he would be there at 160.

Another GIANT (pun intended) mistake!

No way they had to give up the 7th roud pick for this! Yet another wasted second day of the draft. What makes this one more painful, is that they did not trade picks for proven players, the simpley wasted them on guys who have no shot to make the team. I'm sure that their play in the pre-season will allow whoever scoops them after they are cut!

And by taking him, they left the following players for the Colts to snatch up, Marcus Howard and Mike Hart.

And don't even talk to me about Rudd, he will be on someone else's special teams next year too.

ANOTHER HORRIBLE DRAFT!!!!

Without any room for error, NO DOUBT, NO QUESTION, the stupidest, worst, lamest "trade up" in the history of the New England Patriots. Mind-bogglingly infuriating. A mail-it-in BULLSH!T pick.

Carry on.

Everyone except Crable was. Every one could have been had for a seventh or FA. Don't kid yourself.
Very weak day gentlemen. I am embarrassed by our picks. The third round QB makes it to replace our other wonderful Cassel choice and then Crable replaces FA LBs. Mayo should be fine. At least we got a #2 in 09......that we will trade again!!!!
DW Toys

Another GIANT (pun intended) mistake!

No way they had to give up the 7th roud pick for this! Yet another wasted second day of the draft. What makes this one more painful, is that they did not trade picks for proven players, the simpley wasted them on guys who have no shot to make the team. I'm sure that their play in the pre-season will allow whoever scoops them after they are cut!

And by taking him, they left the following players for the Colts to snatch up, Marcus Howard and Mike Hart.

And don't even talk to me about Rudd, he will be on someone else's special teams next year too.

ANOTHER HORRIBLE DRAFT!!!!

Seeing as how you can obviously see the future if you're making so many declarative statements, do you mind telling me if this rash on my taint is gonna go away or should I go to the dr.'s?

:eek:

This team has no place for top notch special teamers, does it?

You don;t get the way the Patriots operate. In a discussion with Jimmy Johnson years ago him and Belichick discussed targeting a player and go getting him and not be so concerned with adding draft picks to move up.

Honestly, how many players will make the team from the 4th to 7th round, there are not enough spots for these players so taking someone and holding an extra pick is STUPID if you can trade up to be sure to get the guy you want. Pissing way a pick would be sitting there and then having 1 other team also take a flyer on a special teams ace and then stuck with 2 draft picks that have less a chance to make your team than the one guy you could have easily traded up for. It's smart drafting, it's how they play the draft and it makes perfect sense.

Last year Hobbs was the only legitimate KO return guy and he's not doing it this year, Izzo is up there in years and was less effective last year, IF you get a top kick returner and top gunner for a 5th round pick it's a great draft pick. Seriously, who were they really going to get that would make a real impact? This is a guy that MIGHT make a real impact on the team next year as a 5th round pick and because you are pretty sure no one else will take him you can't just sit there and wait when you want the person. That would be dumb.

Lets' see.....Cory Boyd to replace our 30+ year old reserve backs who had the best hands of any back in the draft. Adam Bishop a TE who can block vs what we do not have now.. Josh Barrett, a SS with 4.4 speed who can cover and weighs 225....Jamie Silva, rated a 4 on many boards who I would start over the fabulous James Sanders right now. Want me to go on?
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back