PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to workout WR Laurent Robinson

miamipat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The Jets are working out free agent WR Laurant Robinson on Monday.
The Jets are giving both Robinson and Austin Collie a tryout prior to the start of training camp. Robinson was released by the Jaguars this offseason after being diagnosed with four 2012 concussions, but says that he's "symptom free" and will attempt to continue his career on a non-guaranteed contract. He also has visits lined up with the Patriots and Lions.

Maybe the competition M. Jenkins needs for the Veteran WR role. Robinson had a great year 2 years ago. Staying healthy is a big issue though.

Brandon Lloyd - Come On Down. You are the next contestant on the Price is Right.

Brandon Lloyd - Come On Down. You are the next contestant on the Price is Right.

It seems that they are looking at anyone other than Brandon Lloyd. It's starting to look like you or I could get a workout before him :)

Anyone here who can run a sub 5.5 forty should keep their phone nearby at all times.

This is quite true. The team is unable to deal with his emotional issues. It is irrelevant that if Lloyd signed tomorrow, he would immediately be our presumed starter, our #2 WR.

Get a clue - they don't want Lloyd. Could it be any more obvious ?

So, am I the only one who's sorta excited over the the prospect of signing a 6'2 WR who can run a 4.38 40? If he can catch around 40-50 passes, he'd sorta be like a poor man's Torrey Smith, no? I'll take that.

Concussions or not, Lloyd and Branch where two outside guys who avoided the contact; I have little problem with that style.

So, am I the only one who's sorta excited over the the prospect of signing a 6'2 WR who can run a 4.38 40? If he can catch around 40-50 passes, he'd sorta be like a poor man's Torrey Smith, no? I'll take that.

Concussions or not, Lloyd and Branch where two outside guys who avoided the contact; I have little problem with that style.

We already have a guy similar in size to Torrey Smith, and runs a 4.38 (with a broken toe), his name is Josh Boyce. Robinson would be a nice addition though, size and speed.

How am I feeling about training camp? You know that feeling when you rock back on your chair a little too far to the point where you don't know which way it will come down?

Clever. I feel that way about the season. Jacked & pumped for camp. Football and UDFA binkies.

We already have a guy similar in size to Torrey Smith, and runs a 4.38 (with a broken toe), his name is Josh Boyce. Robinson would be a nice addition though, size and speed.

The phrase "we already have a..." really doesn't apply to a rookie; especially when he's just a 4th rounder. I'd still say the odds are with the proven vet (who was drafted higher; 3rd rd) than the 4th rd rook with absolutely no track record (who was drafted by a team with a poor WR draft history, at that). With that in mind, this would be a good opportunity to create competition for training camp; Bill loves to put incoming rookies against FA vets. It's a way to spread risk on the roster and forces your guys to battle it out.

The phrase "we already have a..." really doesn't apply to a rookie; especially when he's just a 4th rounder. I'd still say the odds are with the proven vet (who was drafted higher; 3rd rd) than the rook with absolutely no track record. With that in mind, this would be a good opportunity to create competition for training camp; Bill loves to put incoming rookies against FA vets. It's a way to spread risk on the roster and forces your guys to battle it out.

The "proven vet" has played on 4 teams in 6 years. I'm not sure he's proven anything except that he's a journeyman. No offense meant, I'd agree on most cases with your theory.

Clever. I feel that way about the season. Jacked & pumped for camp. Football and UDFA binkies.

seems you are 1/2 of the fanbase, the other half being packed and jumped into the wild blue yonder.....

Tandem-chicken.jpg

The "proven vet" has played on 4 teams in 6 years. I'm not sure he's proven anything except that he's a journeyman. No offense meant, I'd agree on most cases with your theory.

Ok, now you are just blowing my use of a common expression way out of proportion, and I think you realize this too...

Anyway, passing on a vet WR with some decent stats (despite injury) in favor of a guy you just drafted (in the 4th, no less) really doesn't add up; especially when WR is the biggest question mark on the team.

The phrase "we already have a..." really doesn't apply to a rookie; especially when he's just a 4th rounder. I'd still say the odds are with the proven vet (who was drafted higher; 3rd rd) than the 4th rd rook with absolutely no track record (who was drafted by a team with a poor WR draft history, at that). With that in mind, this would be a good opportunity to create competition for training camp; Bill loves to put incoming rookies against FA vets. It's a way to spread risk on the roster and forces your guys to battle it out.

In 1982 the San Francisco 49ers took a chance on a 4th rd rook with absolutely no track record even though they already had a well thought of productive veteran in Bill "Handyman" Davis....that rook is now in Canton. Perhaps you've heard of the name Cal Ripken before? :rocker:

Robinson. Concussion o rama. I'm not willing to take the risk on his health. Seriously. He needs to retire.

Robinson. Concussion o rama. I'm not willing to take the risk on his health. Seriously. He needs to retire.

Four concussions in 2012 and now he's "symptom free" ... until his next concussion. He's nuts.

If there was some way of being confident that he truly was healthy and could reasonably be expected to have no more chance of more concussions than any other player then I would absolutely like to see the Patriots sign him. I just don't think that is likely; this is not at all like recovering from an ACL tear or broken wrist.

Rich Cimini: The Jets are also working out journeyman WR Laurent Robinson today, source confirmed. He's also scheduled to w/o for NE and Detroit.

New England Patriots will work out Laurent Robinson | Musket Fire

Robinson doesn't have the magnitude of concussion worries that Collie does, but his career has also been derailed by concussions significantly recently after suffering from four concussions last season. The Jacksonville Jaguars released him because of that, but Robinson has declared himself symptom free and has always aimed at playing this year (he almost went back to the Dallas Cowboys).

If the Patriots sign Robinson and can get the 28-year-old back to his pre-concussion form, then they will be getting a steal and the kind of receiver that Tom Brady and this offense could really use. Robinson averaged about 16 yards per reception for 858 yards on 54 catches back in 2011 for the Cowboys, and that type of playmaking ability would be key for the Patriots. That’s not even mentioning the fact that Robinson is a huge red zone threat, as he hauled in 11 touchdowns that year. Aaron Dobson has a world of potential and other young receivers like Josh Boyce do as well, but it never hurts to add a veteran who has done it before, even if he is injury prone. Like Jones, Robinson would have no guaranteed money. Unlike Jones, Robinson would come cheaper, but he would also have a deal that is perfect for injury-prone players and contains incentives that don’t have to do with attending training camp.​

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back