PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to work out Sapp

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sapp's knee checks out, he'd be a good addition. He will need to bulk up to become a 3 down player, as he gets pushed around easily in run support. That said, he seems like the best fit in terms of college system, height, arm length, speed etc.

If we could get all these guys in the draft + Ben Tate, I would be happy:

4. Austen Lane, Murray State (6-6/265)
Lane has been dominant at the FCS level, although on account of his dominance he hasn't had to diversify his pass-rush moves. Lane has extensive experience playing in space, although he isn't afraid to put his hand down and dominate a lineman. Lane's versatility is his biggest asset. Could diagnose plays better.

Pros: Versatility, Size, Speed, Work Ethic
Cons: Competition, Instincts
Verdict: 2nd/3rd Round

5. Ricky Sapp, Clemson (6-4/245)
Sapp is a true one-trick pony: rushing the passer. He isn't able to get off blocks like an OLB needs too. This will lead to Sapp not being a 3-down LB, which means some teams will take him off their 1st round draft board. That said, Sapp rushes the passer like nobody else, with the possible exception of Jerry Hughes. He has a lightning first-step and the ability to change moves on the fly.

Pros: First Step, Speed, Moves
Cons: Strength, Injury History

6. AJ Edds, Iowa (6-4/245)
Edds diagnoses plays very well, and has tons of experience in coverage, as the Hawkeyes rarely play nickel or dime coverage. Edds does nothing that will make you think that he is a 1st-rounder, its his lack of mistakes that makes him a great linebacker. Could play SILB in a 3-4.

4. Austen Lane, Murray State (6-6/265)
Lane has been dominant at the FCS level, although on account of his dominance he hasn't had to diversify his pass-rush moves. Lane has extensive experience playing in space, although he isn't afraid to put his hand down and dominate a lineman. Lane's versatility is his biggest asset. Could diagnose plays better.

Pros: Versatility, Size, Speed, Work Ethic
Cons: Competition, Instincts

5. Ricky Sapp, Clemson (6-4/245)
Sapp is a true one-trick pony: rushing the passer. He isn't able to get off blocks like an OLB needs too. This will lead to Sapp not being a 3-down LB, which means some teams will take him off their 1st round draft board. That said, Sapp rushes the passer like nobody else, with the possible exception of Jerry Hughes. He has a lightning first-step and the ability to change moves on the fly.

Pros: First Step, Speed, Moves
Cons: Strength, Injury History

Edds diagnoses plays very well, and has tons of experience in coverage, as the Hawkeyes rarely play nickel or dime coverage. Edds does nothing that will make you think that he is a 1st-rounder, its his lack of mistakes that makes him a great linebacker. Could play SILB in a 3-4.

I'll take the Iowa guy.......they seem to always bring something to the table......liek toughness

I'd say it's a combination. Let's call the physical prototype this stat line:

6.4+ 250+

Truth is, based on our current roster and past key BB acquisitions, the Pats prototypical DE/OLB has not averaged 6'4".

Redd has been the tallest at 6054 followed by Crable at 6047, and Woods at 6043. Vrabel was listed as 6-4, but he may have been just under at 6-3+. Ninkovich is listed as 6031. Colvin, AD, and TBC are all only 6-2+.

So of the top 4 edge rushers on the current roster, only Woods is over 6-4. BB may have a preference for taller edge setters from the McGinest/Vrabel days, but that hasn't prevented him from bringing on board some shorter folks. I'd forget this height/weight stuff and just get someone who can play the position.

I wouldn't mind him in round 2. But I wouldn't take him with #22. I think if Odrick is not around at 22 that BB trades down to the top of the second and gets a future pick to boot.

Truth is, based on our current roster and past key BB acquisitions, the Pats prototypical DE/OLB has not averaged 6'4".

Redd has been the tallest at 6054 followed by Crable at 6047, and Woods at 6043. Vrabel was listed as 6-4, but he may have been just under at 6-3+. Ninkovich is listed as 6031. Colvin, AD, and TBC are all only 6-2+.

That looks to average 6'4" to me....within hair splittin'.

I'd say it's a combination. Let's call the physical prototype this stat line:

6.4+ 250+ 4.70-, 23+, 37"+, 4.20-, 7.00- and long arms

Put them all together and you have DeMarcus Ware. It doesn't happen often. (That Barwin dude missed the cut only on bench reps, which accounts for a lot of the breathlessness in these parts.) We all have our different opinions on which items to compromise on.

Where can we see all these measurables assembled conveniently for comparison, if not in our own "scouting the prospects - linebacker" thread?

Impressive video. I know it's "highlights", but he looks very "fluid". Needs to gain a few pounds maybe.

Reminds me of demarcus ware.

True 'nuff. But it was equally true of Clay Matthews.

The road to success as a 3-4 OLB is utterly mysterious.
Thats true.

Very well said. Kind of a Jack Del Rio type/Steve DeOssie type. Not physical specimens, but always in the right place doing the right thing.

Very well said. Kind of a Jack Del Rio type/Steve DeOssie type. Not physical specimens, but always in the right place doing the right thing.

It just goes to prove that you can't teach instincts. And guys with instincts, play faster, react faster and are very productive.

The problem with Edds is he had the second lowest bench reps among LB at the combine with 16. As compared to, say, Micah Johnson and McClain who had 31 and 24 respectively. Sapp, Kindle, Hughes were all in the mid 20s like McClain.

Unfortunately we already have one of those in Guyton who did 15 reps (then 16 at his pro day). I don't know if Guyton is stronger now or if someone can talk me down from Edds' 16 reps but I think he'll be drafted too high for what looks like a part time LB. Admittedly his 20 yard shuttle time was solidly better than Guyton's. With Mayo as one ILB and then Guyton and McKenzie I'm not exactly sure what the best fit for a new ILB would be but with none of them being true bangers, I like Micah Johnson later in the draft for run downs.

For cross-year comparisons, you need an NFLDraftScout.com subscription. For this year's combine invitees try this:

2010 NFL Combine Results: Defensive Linemen | Steelers Depot

heh...clifton geathers.....6'7"/300/4.96...37 3/4" arms(and still did 26 reps).....>11" hands....and a 36 inch vertical....makes last year's specimen (jarron gilbert) seem pretty lame.......this guy is a monster waiting for someone to hit the switch

Last edited:
heh...clifton geathers.....6'7"/300/4.96...37 3/4" arms(and still did 26 reps).....>11" hands....and a 36 inch vertical....makes last year's specimen (jarron gilbert) seem pretty lame.......this guy is a monster waiting for someone to hit the switch

He's an unbelievable physical specimen, but didn't earn significant playing time until his junior year, wasn't a huge impact player, then jumped to the draft even though the draft advisory board recommended he stay in school. some character concerns, too. maybe an example of the downside of coming from an nfl family -- takes a lot for granted.

He's an unbelievable physical specimen, but didn't earn significant playing time until his junior year, wasn't a huge impact player, then jumped to the draft even though the draft advisory board recommended he stay in school. some character concerns, too. maybe an example of the downside of coming from an nfl family -- takes a lot for granted.

there's always going to be something.......I would not hesitate in the 4th round......you simply can't teach what this guy has and if he fails, he fails......beats drafting some too small or too slow guy in the 4th round with a great attitude but simply lacks the tools to do his job effectively.

imo no on sapp. too much of a project. If he's there in the fourth round sure but he is not 1st or 2nd round talent by any means.

I'm pretty high on Sapp, and right now I think he is our pick at 22. He fits the prototype (6'4 252, long arms, ran between a 4.61 and 4.70). He will likely run faster at his pro day and personal workouts, as I think the official clocks at Indy this year were on the slow side.

Outside of the measurables, he has experience playing OLB, has the best explosion off the snap outside of Paul-Pierre, and shows pretty good recognition skills. He played through a knee injury last year and still was pretty productive (only 5 sacks, but did have 15 TOFL). I've also watched a few interviews and he certaintly doesn't seem like a bad seed. He seemed accountable and Patriot-like after their loss in the ACC Championship game.

Given our need, his experience, his BB prototype fit, and the inevitable run on DLs in the first round (likely taking Odrick/Williams off the board), I think he is the best best to be our first pick.

An all day workout for Sapp w/ the Pats:

TheTandD.com | Week 9: Workouts for Patriots and Eagles; more loom

The New England Patriots are a very private organization, our workout was private and extremely long. I started around 9 that morning and did not finish until 3 that afternoon.

But the good thing about all that was ... I think they liked me even more after our private workout. I got great feedback from the coach that was there, which really motivated me!
---

And the article mentions his workout w/ Philly lasted only 40 mins. :D

So...make of it what you will. Either the Pats put everyone through loooong workouts, or Sapp is a serious consideration, requiring an early draft pick, necessitating an extra thorough evaluation (not that they're not thorough with everyone - but you know what I mean ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes