PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to work out Purdue LB Stanford Keglar next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like our larry izzo replacement....

dont know why, if we draft him, i sure hope he becomes much more, but he just reminds me of izzo mostly

sounds like our larry izzo replacement....

dont know why, if we draft him, i sure hope he becomes much more, but he just reminds me of izzo mostly

Except that he's got about 15 lbs on Izzo. Keglar is 239 while Izzo is 220 if he's sopping wet.

I think this kid is a late rounder and he is somewhat intriguing. He's got the measurables, but not the field performance.

Hmm, this makes an interesting challenge to the claim (made repeatedly here pre-combine) that the Patriots put no stock in the combine, combine numbers mean nothing to them, no sir. Does anybody really think that they were already planning to work out Stanford Keglar based on his totally pedestrian collegiate career?

ofcourse they were.....

the pats ALWAYS bring in the nobodies.....u dindt know that? :D

Hmm, this makes an interesting challenge to the claim (made repeatedly here pre-combine) that the Patriots put no stock in the combine, combine numbers mean nothing to them, no sir. Does anybody really think that they were already planning to work out Stanford Keglar based on his totally pedestrian collegiate career?

Well, he's been on my watch list since mid-season, simply because he has the size, quickness, and pedigree that Belichick seems to like, so I think that Keglar was probably on their radar screen since last April.

He's still a sleeper pick, even after his impressive workouts.

Four-year starter, captain, smart, hard worker. Stood out when closely observing Avril. Lot's to like from his career -- more so now with proven athleticism. Pats have scouted Avril a lot. No surprise Keglar's shown up on film.

Does anybody really think that they were already planning to work out Stanford Keglar based on his totally pedestrian collegiate career?
Prior to his workouts, he probably impressed with his intangibles for the Pats to consider him. They then followed him throughout his workouts. Rule of thumb -- the Pats want smart football players first -- but they must have enough size and athleticism to play the position...and the Combine and Pro Days are the best test for this. Obviously he's athletic enough. ST and packages may be a good fit.

Good answers all around. It's odd, though. If as you all say Keglar has the big NFL frame and the great character and intelligence and work habits, AND he really has the jaw-dropping athleticism he showed at the combine, why didn't he dominate at all in college? What's missing?

I hope no one is saying that the Patriots don't get wowed by combine numbers.. two words, Ben Watson, Chad Jackson.

It looks like the Pats see the players on their draft board to be at least as good but with more potential than the JAG FAs. Truth be told if the draft doesn't land a LB then they can go to the scrap heap, there won't be a significant dropoff between available JAGs now and available JAGs on May 1.

As for Keglar, some players max out in college others hit their stride in the pros. It can't hurt to kick the tires.

I hope no one is saying that the Patriots don't get wowed by combine numbers.. two words, Ben Watson, Chad Jackson.

It looks like the Pats see the players on their draft board to be at least as good but with more potential than the JAG FAs. Truth be told if the draft doesn't land a LB then they can go to the scrap heap, there won't be a significant dropoff between available JAGs now and available JAGs on May 1.

As for Keglar, some players max out in college others hit their stride in the pros. It can't hurt to kick the tires.

Chad Jackson and Ben Watson were on the Pats lists prior to the combine. Also, if you've read some of the more recent articles, the Pats really don't pay attention to the numbers at the combine. They focus on interviews.

Furthermore, Jackson and Watson were both extremely productive in their college careers. One of the knocks on Keglar is that for all his athleticism, he wasn't that productive. But, as you said, it doesn't hurt to kick the tires.

Chad Jackson and Ben Watson were on the Pats lists prior to the combine. Also, if you've read some of the more recent articles, the Pats really don't pay attention to the numbers at the combine. They focus on interviews.

Furthermore, Jackson and Watson were both extremely productive in their college careers. One of the knocks on Keglar is that for all his athleticism, he wasn't that productive. But, as you said, it doesn't hurt to kick the tires.

Exactly. It's almost like some fans have started to believe Chad Jackson was simply a workout warrior, or some BS. The guy had experience in two different offensive systems, was used as both a field stretching vertical threat, and a possession slot receiver. He racked up 88 receptions in a single college football season, and scored a TD once every 9 receptions. that's not a "workout warrior".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey